back to article iOS 6.1 KNACKERED our mobile phone networks, claim Vodafone, Three

Vodafone has urged iPhone 4S owners to not upgrade to iOS 6.1, the latest available, because it believes the software jams 3G and phone connections. Vodafone claimed that the bug is Apple's fault and that it affects Voda's rivals as well as its own UK network, although it only named Three Austria* as another impacted telco. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
    1. Paul Shirley

...but it's O2s shitty network. Unless the network completely falls over for more than 8 hours how would you even notice any change... O2 never seem to notice without prodding from customers whatever happens ;)

1. Stephen Channell
    WTF?

Distributed Denial Of Service?

Maybe the aerial problem is flooding the network with connect messages …

Given that the emergency services use Vodafone, maybe its time to do what ISPs do with DDOS attacks, and blacklist offending IMEA address!

1. Steve Todd
      FAIL

Re: Distributed Denial Of Service?

Areal problem? The 4S is fine. The 4 had issues under some circumstances but was mostly fine also. Not that at all.

1. Steve Todd

S/Areal/aerial/

(When are we going to get editing el reg? Pretty much everyone else gives you a limited edit window these days)

1. Ru

I can edit my posts. Would seem a bit silly if it were a privilege only offered to silver-badged users.

edit: indeed, after posting I see three things at the bottom of my new post, zero votes, a reply button and an edit button.

1. PaulR79
            Meh

@Ru

It is indeed a privilege only available to Silver or Gold badge users. I remember it being a big "WTF?" moment when the badges were rolled out.

1. Annihilator
              Coat

Re: @Ru

@PaulR79 - I assume we silver badge holders are just considered impotent*.

Edit: *important.

2. richard 7
      Mushroom

Airwave is a different system and its O2

2. Paul Johnston
    Thumb Up

I would love to have been at the meeting

Wonder what the meeting was like where it was decided to run with this communication.

Person 1: Er do you want to put your name to this?

Person 2: Not really, why don't you?

Person 1: Agreed lets bat this one upstairs !

Person 2: Do you think we can still get iPhones for work?

Person 1: Dunno!

3. Busby
    Mushroom

Arrest the users

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression we had strict rules in this country governing the use of jamming equipment?

The users should all be rounded up and imprisoned immediately. All Apple stores should be raided and the staff arrested for selling illegal kit.

Or Apple could release a software update

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Arrest the users

So you're saying that all of the devices were upgraded in-store? You fool.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Throwing mud

"When pressed on the technical cause of the problem, Voda's spokeswoman simply said "you'll have to ask Apple about that"."

How can Vodafone make a claim and then not back it up with specific details of the problem ? Unless it is a security issue as well, I think it's unethical to accuse and not provide details.

1. Tom 7

Re: Throwing mud

Sounds charitable of vodafone really.

Something's taking out the network and you want them to reveal the problem? Sounds definitely like a security issue to me.

Personally I'd be inclined to be a lot ruder than Vodafone if someone took down my revenue stream.

1. Philip Lewis
        Holmes

Truth is an absolute defence in a libel/slander case.

Therefore, we "might well think" that Vodafone is either telling the truth, or opening themselves to a rather nasty suit from a rather large company.

1. Geoff332

Luckily Apple doesn't have form for being aggressively (and often unreasonably) litigious.

Wait...

Oh.

2. 404
      Holmes

"I think it's unethical to accuse and not provide details."

Follow politics much?

;)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Iphone4s DDOS update.

Seems iOS6.1 is just as effective as LOIC.

I really surprised that people are still buying Apple crap.

1. Chad H.

Re: Iphone4s DDOS update.

If its so effective, then why has noone but Vodafone UK and 3 Australia (50% owned by... Vodafone!) reported it?

1. Tom 7

that would be the networks the phones are tied to!!

1. jai

that would be the networks the phones are tied to!!

O2 is the network that the iphone was originally tied to. but so far, haven't heard of anyone on O2 having this problem.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If its so effective, then why has noone but Vodafone UK and 3 Australia (50% owned by... Vodafone!) reported it?

Errm, no, it was Three Austria, not Three Australia. But that's okay, George W Bush got us mixed up too.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They're probably buying it because it's not crap, no matter how much you wish it were true.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I really surprised that people are still buying Apple crap."

Once you realise that sheeple haven't got a clue, it becomes unsurprising.

6. Mostly_Harmless Silver badge
    FAIL

code of connection

I'm sure that Vodafone (indeed all mobile networks) have a code of connection - device manufacturers have to test their devices for conformance against the the network to guard against SNAFU's like this.

If that's the case, then potentially some of the blame lies at VF's door for not picking up on the problem in testing at their labs.

Although it may sound like I'm trying to defend Apple there, I'd still like to stress that I detest the very ground they walk on.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: code of connection

But do Apple actually test the updates against all networks?

Or just the original firmware bundles?

Or neither, because Apple are completely in charge of both development and release of iOS?

1. Bronek Kozicki

Re: code of connection

Normally it would be network job to validate the device, or accept validation performed by other network (they do not like to duplicate the work).

Since OTA updates are normally distributed via network, there would be also some work done on the network side for firmware updates. Although I very much doubt it would be anywhere close to device validation.

7. Strudel
    Devil

Am I being stalked by a bunch of fanbois?

Despite not owning an iPhone I've had issues with Vodafone for a little while now, is this a sign I'm being followed by a gaggle of iSheep?

Vodafones network is an overloaded tottering pile of junk and this is a handy excuse.

1. Irongut

Re: Am I being stalked by a bunch of fanbois?

Only time I ever have problems with Vodafone's network is when the Huns come to watch their team play 3rd division football. Before and after a match I do have some trouble sending texts but voice and data still work. Once they're gone everything works perfectly again.

8. El Presidente
    FAIL

Apple recently argued

To the US government that allowing jailbreaking of the iPhone could crash mobile networks.

No, they really did.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple recently argued

Coincidentally, a jailbreak for iOS 6.1 has just hit the internets...

9. jowlymonster

Hmm, since the end of Jan, my android device has intermittently stopped receiving calls/texts until I restart it. I wonder if it's related...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Hmm, since the end of Jan, my android device has intermittently stopped receiving calls/texts until I restart it. I wonder if it's related..."

Why do you attribute the problems to the phone? It's the network!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

EE?

Their whole network is so unreliable that I doubt they could work out if the problem was down to the iPhones or their failing infrastructure.

11. Dave, Portsmouth

Two Issues?

Seems odd that there would be two entirely separate but related issues at the same time...

Presumably if one issue is "it is continually trying to connect to my Exchange server", then that would also explain the second issue of "more network traffic, meaning warms up, meaning battery runs flat more quickly"? Or is that too simple? :o)

1. clanger9
      Thumb Up

Re: Two Issues?

Correct.

It's a calendar sync bug. It continually connects to Exchange trying to process the same event.

To fix: go to the Exchange account settings & turn Calendar sync off & on again.

Annoying as hell, but easy to fix.

12. This post has been deleted by its author

13. This post has been deleted by its author

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ios6.1 release supposedly fixes DoS vulnerability

Obviously not - knackers network instead

15. DJ Particle
    Happy

6.1, AT&T, 4S

No issues. Is this strictly a Vodafone problem?

16. Simon Buttress
    WTF?

6.1 or 6.1.1?

So is this borking for 6.1 or 6.1.1? I've got 6.1 running fine on my 4S and there's an update to 6.1.1 do I download or not?

17. lord_farquaad
    Megaphone

iOS 6.1.1 update is now available

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1631

18. ajny

Prior Occurrence

I believe this problem occurred with 4S's in the States well prior to IOS6.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

6.1.1 just come out...

...to fix this very problem. So hush now fandroids, go to sleep.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 6.1.1 just come out...

"6.1.1 just come out...

...to fix this very problem. So hush now fandroids, go to sleep."

Wanker!

20. Manny Bianco
    Stop

Well that's handy...

...because Apple have just released an update for iPhone 4S users that *should* fix the issue.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/02/11/apple-releases-ios-611-for-iphone-4s-owners-to-address-battery-3g-issues

21. John Moppett

Problems with iOS6.1? nah!!

My iPhone 4S is on EE, I updated to 6.1 about 10 days ago and have had no probl ems at all. Now 0n 6.1.1, no-one seems to appreciate that apple have done an update so quickly!!

1. Stu J
      FAIL

Re: Problems with iOS6.1? nah!!

Technically what Apple have done is completely illegal, that is they have facilitated users turning their phones into jamming devices.

Undoing that SNAFU rapidly is the LEAST they should do, and no, they don't deserve any fucking appreciation or thanks for unborking the network.

If Ofcom had any balls they'd take Apple to the cleaners over it, not least to recover some damn revenue from the tax-dodging fuckers.

1. Chad H.

Um, have they?

You're taking the word of two operators... yet other operators are reporting no issues.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Um, have they?

You're taking the word of two operators... yet other operators are reporting no issues."

..........and your taking the word of your lord and master.

BAAAAH!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"My iPhone 4S is on EE, I updated to 6.1 about 10 days ago and have had no probl ems at all. Now 0n 6.1.1, no-one seems to appreciate that apple have done an update so quickly!!"

What sheeple don't seem to appreciate is that Apple should never have released the shite without thorough testing. So the bollox about "update so quickly" is moot.

iOS is as shite as the iPhone design.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like