back to article White House rejects Death Star petition: '$850qn too pricey'

Remember that "We the People" petition begun last month that asked the Obama administration to build a Star Wars–style Death Star? Well, the White House has responded with a witty rejoinder that essentially boils down to "Fuggedaboutit." "The Administration shares your desire for job creation and a strong national defense," …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Cheapskates. pft....

1. veti Silver badge
      Coat

One word:

Kickstarter.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They'll change their tune

I'm sure they'll change their mind once China starts building a large network of space based weapons platforms.

3. Wallyb132
    Mushroom

Typical gov.gov bullshit...

The Administration does not support blowing planets?

Bullshit....

If they dont, then why did they nuke the moon in 2009?

1. DJO Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: Typical gov.gov bullshit...

They're quite happy to blow up moons, they have never said anything to the contrary. Blowing up planets however might be construed as being a bit naughty.

4. Anonymous Custard
    Joke

Mistargetted

Maybe they should have targetted the petition at Pope Palpatine in the Vatican?

5. MichaelC72
    Facepalm

Not a rounding error

"...a full $2 quadrillion higher that the figure Shawcross cites."

Well, he does say "has been estimated to cost more than $850,000,000,000,000,000." and I'm fairly sure that $852qn is more than $850qn.....

6. jai

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good robot-with-a-laser-on-Mars at your side, kid!

Just how many Bothans died to bring us this information?

7. Silverburn
    Alien

X prize ver 2.0

NASA is not yet able to "do the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs,"

Yep, but I bet the boys at Ansari are wording the scope of the next prize right as we speak...

1. Steve Todd

Re: X prize ver 2.0

It always made me wonder what George was smoking when he wrote that line. Given that a Parsec is a unit of distance (about 3.2 lightyears) what was he on about?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Parsec

There is an explanation for that, however tenuous it sounds. You should be able to find it.

1. DJO Silver badge
          Boffin

Re: Parsec

Even stranger is that a long time ago in a Galaxy far far away they would use units like "Parsecs" which like many units are unique to the Earth (the parsec is dependant on the Earth-Sun distance - 1AU and 360 degrees each with 60 minutes and 60 SEConds)

1. James Hughes 1

Re: Parsec @DJO

Stranger even than using units called parsecs (unique to earth) is that they all speak passable English as well. That's just weird. How could they possibly know?

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge
        Boffin

"It always made me wonder what George was smoking when he wrote that line. Given that a Parsec is a unit of distance (about 3.2 lightyears) what was he on about?"

I have thought about this, and come to the conclusion that the Kessell Run must be some sort of variation on the travelling salesman problem, and Hans Solo had managed to stumble upon a proof for P = NP.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The Kessel Run was one of the most heavily used smuggling routes in the Galactic Empire.[3] Han Solo claimed that his Millennium Falcon "made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs". A parsec was a unit of distance, not time. Solo was not referring directly to his ship's speed when he made this claim. Instead, he was referring to the shorter route he was able to travel by skirting the nearby Maw black hole cluster, thus making the run in under the standard distance. By moving closer to the black holes, Solo managed to cut the distance down to about 11.5 parsecs.[source?] The smuggler, BoShek, actually beat Solo's record in his ship, Infinity, but without cargo to weigh him down. A few months later, Han Solo beat both his own and BoShek's records in a run he made with Luke Skywalker.[2]

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kessel_Run

2. IglooDude

I was thinking DARPA challenges, but yeah, ditto here.

8. Steve Todd

If they had any sense

They would be petitioning the White House to build a squadron of X Wings, while training their pilots to bullseye wamp rats. Much cheaper and you've got no worries about losing a Death Star arms race.

9. Zog The Undeniable

The name's a bit of a problem

Call it a Freedom Star and they'd have gone for it.

10. ukgnome
    Pint

This is the second civil service jolly response that has been reported. Who knew the worker bees for the USA and UK were staffed with actual human beings?

I salute all the hard working comedic staffers and civil servants - have this beer on me.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.