back to article Nvidia takes fight to Sony, Nintendo with Android handheld console

Nvidia’s Project Shield seems positively daft at first thought. Who in their right mind would launch a new handheld gaming device today? If Sony and Nintendo can’t win over the millions of folk who play games on phones and tablets with their dedicated gaming handhelds - and very strong gaming brands - how the heck can a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Aren't Onlive pretty much dead in the water as a distribution platform now since the buyout / layoffs chaos?

It runs stock Android. You can get an OnLive client for Android, although obviously you'll need to pay for the service.

Anonymous Coward

First thing I thought when I saw it...

...wrist strain! The way you hold a TV gaming console handset is different to the way you hold a dedicated handheld (Vita, DS etc..). With a TV console handset your eyes/head is looking up at the TV and your hands naturally drop down. However, if you use the same TV handset form factor and just plonk a screen on it, your hands/head/eyes aren't in the correct position. Sony/Nintendo spent mega $$$'s figuring this shit out, Nvidia seemed to have forgotton all about this and focused on the internals. Still, as the article mentions it might be subject to change.

Thumb Up

I would actually buy this

The concept of this appeals to me, price permitting. I see it as a way to emulate the Wii U's screen independence, but with Steam's game library.

For context, I have an HTPC hooked up to my TV, that I also use as a Steam-based 'console'. A device like this would allow me to play the games I have in the comfort of the living room while the missus watches 'OMG THEY LET THE STUPID MAN PLAN THE WEDDING' and 'CHILD HAS A HORRIBLE DISFIGUREMENT BUT GETS TREATMENT TO LOOK LESS UGLY SO IT'S OK TO WATCH THIS'

The device specific games are of less interest, but I'd expect more indie games to come to android now the platform is expanding.

My 2p

This depends on the ideas it inspires

My PC has an HDMI output, so I could connect it to a stonking big TV. And this gadget is a controller with a small screen.

Keep the game on the computer, and use the small controller screen for info about the game. You could have an ammo counter and health indicator for a first-person shooter. If the controller's motion/position sensing is good enough, it could act as the handlebars and instruments of a racing motorbike. And because it can be programmed, you can do such things without having to transfer a lot of data. The game just has to signal the engine speed, and this thing does the work of generating the rev-counter display.

Re: This depends on the ideas it inspires

A Nintendo engineer travelled through time from 2010 and read your post.

Two years later, et voilà! - the Wii U Gamepad.

Anonymous Coward

seems like a great idea

but then I remember that xbox type controls are simply not the best way to play either FPS, or racing games ... in fact they're not very good for much!

MJI
Silver badge

Re: seems like a great idea

Best FPS controller on a console is Playstation Move.

MJI
Silver badge

PC vs Console arguments

Will you stop this silliness?

You are allowed both, you are allowed to play exclusives on the platforms.

They are all games.

It is supposed to be fun.

PCs are not going away. Consoles are still producing good games.

You know what?

While online gaming on PS3 I don't think "the graphics are poor aghhhh" I just think where is the enemy and I have fun, So it is 1280x720 - looks OK, there are particle effects, animated maps, things changing, 24 people, up to 4 aerial bots, 8 turrets, a few other bots, jetpacks, exos, what would better graphics bring? (and why did I use the game which showed up Crytek over Crysis 2 console).

I can happily sit at the PC for an hour and play a Half Life game or ME1.

Just stop argueing and enjoy the games.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018