back to article 'SHUT THE F**K UP!' The moment Linus Torvalds ruined a dev's year

A Linux kernel developer found himself in a perfect storm of Linus Torvalds' sharp tongue and his intolerance for bad code. Red Hat's Mauro Carvalho Chehab was told by Linux kernel chief Torvalds to "shut the f**k up" and fix his "approach to kernel programming" after Chehab passed off a bug in the kernel as something at fault …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Re: Linux audio...

Yep, some years ago iirc I had a Debian machine with Alsa for the soundcard, Jack connecting to the Alsa, and Pulseaudio with a jack output plugin connecting to Jack. It was something convoluted like that. This was so I could have Flash audio (for youtube), and various music programs (Renoise), and any games I had (UT) all able to play sound. It was truly horrible.

Anonymous Coward

Linux audio is a solved problem. Linux said so.

Any issues you are having must be your fault. Have you read the man pages?

Silver badge
Coat

Maybe you're just holding it wrong?

Wait...

Re: Linux audio... Audio, OH Audio, where for art thou, Audio? Adio?

Thanks! I really needed the humor, since I am down to my last 100 or so in my banking account.

In an instant, I thougght of Linux Audio, and how it spuriously breaks on me, and makes me wonder whether some of my crashes even today or yesterday are related to faulty info relay related to sound and sound drivers. I wonder whether Vbox, Linux, Pulsa Audio, and others clash during suspends and unsuspends.

I also have been one of those people who had to be yelled at or embarrassed in front of coworkers or within earshot. I don't like it. I have called out people for bullying or suspected bullying, and I despise bullying. But, on reflection, I accept that sometimes I indeed have been part of a problem.

Then again, yes, it is not always best at all to be PC or molly-coddly in some cases. For example, on a ship, duringg UNREP/CONREP (Underway Replenishment/Connected Replenishment), one person not paying attention is all it takes for a role to slip from the hands of 8 others on that rope team. One person overlooking flawed maintenance is all it takes for a which to fail under tension, and that 100 feet of paid-out wire rope can come slinging back in fury, tearing through deck houses and 1/4 inch steel bulkheads. Rare, but it has cut men in half. In one case, the rope came back to coil around but not actually scratch the person it wound around. So, yelling,and public berating , for life-saving and mission-critical reasons (but, not forum commenting reasons, hehehe) is sometimes absolutely necessary.

Broken Linux audio would rightly be a major show stopper for anyone considering Linux. Maybe not in 1979 or 1991, but in 2012, even as far back as 1997, audio importance is not something to dismiss casually.

And, yes, sometimes Linus' outbursts are entertaining. But, since I am not so funny or important, I probably won't be lucky enough to have my outbursts dismissed or found entertaining... But, I hope I am wrong on that count...

That is exactly why Linus is furious. Nothing did more harm to Linux desktop other than audio.

So while things got better thanks to pulse audio etc, you submit something that breaks audio somehow. Linus is a human being too.

Microsoft camp may compare this to submitting a win8 patch that will allow another "blaster". Wonder how polite will be the kernel/security chiefs...

Boffin

broken audio in '79

no, I would think the absence of linux's existence in 1979 would be the bigger show-stopper then pulseaudio not working, possibly combined with the fact that it's creator was still 10 years old.

And while Linux did exists in 1991, it has just been created, and OSS wouldn't be added until the following year, so I'm not thinking anyone braking it would have been noticed.

the potential for 2013 meme' is enormous with Linus.

Personally, I can't wait for more.

If I may humbly submit

Something like this?

Replace text with STFU <victim>, have fun.

P_0

But did he chuck his chair?

M 6

Sounds like Linus Torvalds needs to take an anger management course and learn some people skills!

Silver badge

"Sounds like Linus Torvalds needs to take an anger management course and learn some people skills!"

Wouldn't it be better all around if people writing code for Linus' kernel went on a programming course so he didn't need to?

If Linus was nicer, Linux would probably be a lot worse than it is today because these mistakes would end up staying in there.

Anonymous Coward

Err...

"If Linus was nicer, Linux would probably be a lot worse than it is today because these mistakes would end up staying in there."

Or, maybe linux would attract other programmers who are more skilled, but don't want to be ranted at in public.

There is no excuse for this sort of behavior.

Re: Err...

"programmers who are more skilled"

As a linux user i personally don't care how skilled the programmer is if he's - oh - sensitive. I need a rock solid OS (which i get) - not a politically correct POS. Linus is absolutely right - if you let a bug into kernel on principle, not just mistake - public humiliation is the very least you deserve.

Gives new meaning to the Open Source mantra of having many eyes reviewing the code. Sure beats reviewing and simply rolling your eyes in disgust.

You have a programmer telling everyone "it's not a bug, it;s a feature" so piss off there is nothing to fix...

Only then did he get a smack up the side of the head. When Linus told him it was something that DID need to be fixed.

If this was a normal job it would be.

-Tell co-worker to get stuffed.

- Ignore boss

- Have company president come by your work area to give you shit.

"Open

Sores" is what I thought for a sec, then trembled and my mind restored the missing "u".

But, public humiliation could definitely lead to Open Sores....

GPL code, public development. Take it or leave it. Nobody forces anyone.

I also heard Ms submits professionally formatted and respectful to Linux standards code when they have to. Who flames them? Nobody.

Sounds like Linus Torvalds needs to take an anger management course and learn some people skills!

Don't be so damn' silly! When some clown has been repeatedly told to either shape up or ship out - and still refuses to do either - a few harsh words are entirely appropriate.

I am heartliy sick of being told how I have to handle useless employees - they work for me - they do as they're told or they find other work. If they can't handle criticism, they need to go and work in Local Government where they can be entirely worthless for a whole working life and never get criticised at all.....

Bronze badge

Perhaps worth remembering that the software screwups which have caused almost ever single major public sector IT project to fail have been written in the private sector before sneering at public sector employees, eh?

Silver badge

> major public sector IT project to fail have been written in the private sector

That's because the public sector doesn't "write", it just "specifies" then "subcontracts", and I would surmise that the seed of failure is already in that activity alone.

Meh

Linus

"Torvalds, who is now so busy overseeing the open-source Linux project he can't find the time to write new code,..."

check https://github.com/torvalds and others before making such bold statements... maybe less lines of linux kernel code but he's still pretty active

Thumb Down

Small man syndrome

This guy is a complete tool. Seriously. I can't stand him.

Windows

Re: Small man syndrome

OK, write one O/S yerself. Justify your existence. No? OK, bugger off, then.

Don't bother coming back.

Anonymous Coward

OK, write one O/S yerself. Justify your existence. No? OK, bugger off, then.

Don't bother coming back.

--------------

Linux is a kernel not an OS

FAIL

Re: Linux is a kernel not an OS

Quick fact-check at Linux.org:

"What is Linux? Linux is an operating system..."

http://www.linux.org/article/view/what-is-linux

Boffin

Does your opinion come from personal experience or just reading the media reports ?

I've submitted code to Linus, and he was very friendly - and absolutely right - when commenting on some things he'd like me to rework. That was some years ago and the amount of code he has to review has gone up a lot since then, so I wouldn't be surprised if some mediocre programmer hits his trigger level more often.

Yes, Linus yells and shouts at you when you submit some wacky code that is done the wrong way. But he also tells you *why* he thinks it is wrong. And he is usually right.

Silver badge
Trollface

"What is Linux? Linux is an operating system..."

Not according to GNU and the FSF. GNU is the Operating System and Linux is the Kernel.

http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html

FAIL

And, just possibly, the GNU is wrong.

You can run Linux with non-GNU tools. Many do. So lets stick with what the people working on Linux think.

Anonymous Coward

Looking at some of your previous posts it seems you have problems with men of below average stature, So what's the score, you pick on a little bloke and get your arse kicked for your trouble?

Silver badge
Childcatcher

#1 Rule of Management

So much for criticizing in private. At least he praises in public, too.

Silver badge

Re: #1 Rule of Management

> So much for criticizing in private.

The problem with this is that Linux's development happens out in the open.

What we don't know from here is the background to the comment and since this quote is completely without context we don't know whether the "Shut the F**K UP!" was a friendly one or a rage mode one. Its not at all uncommon for friends to swear at each other without being totally pissed off with each other. I remember working on a development project years ago with a team of programmers from all over the world and an American manager, the poor guy never could get his head around the way we spoke to each other, or the fact that if we'd started to be nice the other members of the team would have worried what was wrong.

I've sat in code review meetings in professional development environments and believe me, that comment is mild if someone is trying to shift the blame from their ugly code onto the code that supposed to be calling it. Been on both sides of comments. You learn to tidy up your approach. I was just lucky enough for it to be a private meeting inside a private company.

F*ck the "Rules of Management" - i'm tired of being told to babysit idiots and do their jobs for them.

Nothing good ever was created "Rules of Management" - pretty much worth existing was created despite of them.

"Rules of Management" exist so mediocrity can be at least somewhat productive.

Windows

Can be both...Had an American manager once. I said:

"Hello, you ol' w*anker!" to a colleague I hadn't seen for a year.

To another, who'se child was born 6 weeks earlier. When he returned to work from Paternity leave: "OI, mate, can we call you a motherfuc*ker yet???"

American was gobsmacked. Didn't get it. Perfectly acceptable in British business......or at least, it was then....

Silver badge
Coat

Most Americans can't get gobsmacked

...because most Americans don't know what it means.

Silver badge

Re: Most Americans can't get gobsmacked

"...because most Americans don't know what it means."

We could always teach them, literally.

Joke

Re: Most Americans can't get gobsmacked

I couldn't teach them that way, because I even have trouble doing up my shirt-buttons in the morning. My mate, Jukka, who is built like a brick shit-house however, would smash them into pulp! Yet he's a gentle giant.

Linux

Steve Jobs shouted worse things, more often and he is considered a god to some.

Linus is right. Only his outbursts are reported. However, they are usually justified and grounded in reality.

Silver badge

And many accounts suggest Steve Jobs was more likely to rage at very well-paid VPs, but took a different approach with junior employees. Didn't the engineer who left the prototype phone in a bar keep his job?

It reminds me in a scene of The Thick Of It, where Malcolm's bulldog Jamie concludes a rant at a minister (using violent sexual imagery) then nearly bumps into a cleaning lady- to whom he courteously apologises to.

Thumb Up

Some are just screamers....

I used to have a boss like that. Luckily we were on good terms. He used to take to going into a good screaming rant and the other employees for trivial matters. During these times I would pull him aside and call him out and tell him what a total tool he was, thereby re-directing his rant at myself. After a while I would just smile and ask him if he was done yet and if we could go back to work. He went all apologies all around, handled the original incident in a calmer matter, and all was right with the world. I received a good number of raises while I was working for him just for being able to put up with his crap. Even the waitresses started splitting their tips with me.

You gotta learn some method to deal with this type of BS or you will die of some stress related problem, either yours or theirs.

Not *just* a screamer

What happens when you get shouted at for actually doing something objectively wrong?

Pint

Re: Not *just* a screamer

"What happens when you get shouted at for actually doing something objectively wrong?"

You sit (or stand) there, take it like an adult, and refrain from doing it again.

OR

You run home and cry to your mum that the bad man yelled at you.

THEN

see icon

Silver badge
Coat

Re: Not *just* a screamer

I've never even heard of an OR THEN loop. YOUR CODING SUCKS DONKEY BALLS!!1!

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge

Re: Some are just screamers....

Kelvin McKenzie was well known for his bollockings when editor of the Sun... one hack, after being subjected to a screaming rant for ten minutes asked "Are you going to bollock me now?" and McKenzie creased up in laughter.

Holmes

Average

Most people have good days and bad days, so if you shout at someone because of their bad day there's a good chance that the next day will be a good one and it'll appear that the shouting has worked.

Coat

Perspective

It's not like he hurled a chair across a room at the guy.

Coat

'Christ this is horribly ugly code, how could you ever accept this?'

Should have written it in C++ then.

Silver badge

Torvalds insisted he was a mild-mannered man of peace

Poppycock! He's a git:

Torvalds said: "I'm an egotistical bastard, and I name all my projects after myself. First 'Linux', now 'git'."

Silver badge
FAIL

Re: Torvalds insisted he was a mild-mannered man of peace

or someone with a wry sense of humour - clearly not American*

*Well, some of them ....

Stop

Re: Torvalds insisted he was a mild-mannered man of peace

You clearly have a sensory problem if you cannot see the humor there...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018