back to article File-sharing mom begs US Supremes to void bloated RIAA fine

Jammie Thomas-Rasset, the Minnesota mother of four facing a $220,000 fine for illegally downloading and sharing 24 songs, has petitioned the US Supreme Court to hear her case. Thomas-Rasset's lawyers have filed a petition for certiorari (from the Latin verb 'to show') that asks the court to review the charges of $9,250 per MP3 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Tom 13

Re: implying there was no direct financial loss to them or their stakeholders

There is no such implication. The best you can manage is that the PR value of donating $25K is worth more to the company than the competing fines.

1. adam payne

I don't know anything about the lady but i'd like to know how any mother of four could pay that kind of fine?

It seems very excessive to me.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ship her to Japan

They know how to deal with pirates.

1. Velv
      Alien

Re: Ship her to Japan

Even scarier, I wonder what the punishment is under Sharia Law ...

3. arrbee
    Meh

My impression was that the members of juries in the US tend to award higher damages to improve their chances of appearing on tv.

4. h3

Sharia law at least as mostly practised (Excluding the Taliban) seems to be pretty indifferent as long as it is not against Muslims.

The thing to do is transfer all your assets to someone else and then go bankrupt. (It is exactly what the law firms do when the same thing happens to them).

ACS:Law somehow managed to get the fine (in the UK) reduced from £200,000 to £1000

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like