back to article Parliament: Snoop Charter plan 'too sweeping', 'misleading', 'suspicious'

Theresa May's communications data draft bill is far too broad and needs to be slimmed down, concluded MPs and peers who have spent many months scrutinising the Home Secretary's lambasted plans to massively increase the surveillance of online activity in the UK. The joint committee, chaired by Lord Blencathra, said: Our …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

Re: The Bill May Still Pass

Perhaps those Britards in a Labor MP's constituency might care to make their feelings felt. Something along the lines that even Labor constituencies with a majority of 26000 (Like parts of Glasgow) can be overturned if enough people are p**sed off enough.

They might also remind them Identity cards were a key issue of why they lost last time.

Just a few thoughts.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HTTPS and web accounts

Do they intend to snoop on my connections with Google? Is it at the ISP level only or will they ask companies like Google to hand over emails?

Assuming I send an email to someone else who also uses HTTPS to read their email, will they be able to read about my plotting (of weekend bike rides)?

Thanks,

Confused

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: HTTPS and web accounts

It's confusing because... it is. If you see our earlier coverage, it's not clear exactly how encrypted HTTPS traffic can be intercepted without some major shenanigans going on.

C.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: HTTPS and web accounts

Problem is the UK Government (whatever their colour) always want a "state of the art" system when it comes to IT and frequently heads off into areas of hype and as yet undeveloped technology.

The proposed ID card system was a case in point, they tried to do things which even the former Soviet countries hadn't tried in volume with biometrics, ended up failing precisely because the people who could implement it didn't exist or were not for hire, also trying to take something that works in a lab and implementing it for day to day use often comes a cropper.

Got my chip enabled passport just as they were removing the automatic readers from airports, tried my passport on the reader a few times but it kept failing, customs ended up checking me in by the old fashioned route with a world weary expression when asked about the machines, and not a little smugness I fancy.

Still it keeps the bullshitters in the large consultancies employed

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Totalitarian Britain

Whenever I worry about the British government becoming more evil I always think of Terry Gilliams film "Brazil" because I'm sure that's exactly how badly they will mess the mundane day to day bits of getting this set up.

The detail in this report seems to confirm that, just intrigued as to what they really want almost 2Bn pounds for that's going to be some retirement fund for someone, either that or some super secret project at GCHQ to play with quantum computing

So long as your names not Buttle I think you're in the clear

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

Re: Totalitarian Britain

"The detail in this report seems to confirm that, just intrigued as to what they really want almost 2Bn pounds for that's going to be some retirement fund for someone, either that or some super secret project at GCHQ to play with quantum computing"

The £2Bn over 10 yrs is for the CPS's (that's ISP's, mobile operators, landlines suppliers).

But you can bet the Dettica hardware will cost a lot more and that will be secret and paid by the taxpayersgovernmemt.

Actually for life in a totalitarian Britain the late 1970's BBC series 1990 might be more intimidating.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like