back to article BT to rent cheaper FTTP lines to ISPs - if they stump up £1k a go

BT will demand pricey one-off construction and installation fees from ISP providers that want to offer blistering fast fibre products to their customers. The national telco said it was up to those companies to decide whether to pass on the costs, which are expected to start at about £500 and could climb to well above £1,000 in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FTTC

Yup, 80mbps down and 20 mbps up and only one down time of 3 mins in 10 months.

2. DPR

Something wrong surely

my FTTC from Talktalk just clocked in at 116 Mbps this afternoon. Should I complain.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hahaha I pay less than 20GBP and have a 1GB FTTP link that gives me over 20Mb to the UK at most times.....

Makes the UK and US seem stupidly expensive. I won't even mention the 50Mb cable link I use just in case that costs even less. Oops I did already. One benefit of living in HK I guess.

4. h3

Should be same speed each direction. This is deliberately gimped or not proper FTTP.

https://fiber.google.com/about/

1G bi directional.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Agree 100%. Even the most horrible crappy old final -few-metres multimode fibre patch leads should do 1Gb/s per strand if we are just talking about hardware. Are Google using 2 strands, one up one down? Or can they do it on one fibre?

Maybe the big telcos are using a single 10GBase-whatever fibre to the cabinet and hoping to share it out to 50 premises or so, hence your 200MBit/s on your individual fibre to your house? Mature technology since 2005/2008. Or even "better", a single 1GBase fibre, wouldn't like to share that out to a large block of flats, might explain a lot though ;)

No doubt a telecoms engineer can help us out here ;)

Seems proper off-the-shelf 100-Gbase has been out for only 2 years or so......therefore I wouldn't expect widespread enthusiasm for 1 or 2GB/s FTTP from the big telcos just yet.... not unless they get serious money shovelled at them.

5. h3

One thing that is great about the uk ....

Is the national grid. (Look at the mess other countries have due to not building their systems properly).

If we want world class broadband we have to do something similar. (No one will because they are stupid).

BT are not a benefit to us at all. (They used to train the young quite well). If we can nationalise banks because they mess up we should be able to do the same again to BT and the Post Office who are both useless and providing worse and worse service.

Some things are worth having done properly.

6. BelieveItOrNot

£330

that's how much it costs for open reach to drill a hole thru your wall.

if anyone needs a hole drilled I'll do it for £250

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

300Mbps?

bet you it isn't.

Unless BT provide a contract with that speed in it (that also covers latency), and guarantees no upstream throttling or bandwidth shaping - on any port on any protocol - then it isn't going to be 300Mbps.

If they're giving that contract, then this is worth it. Uncontended, no throttling, no traffic shaping, no content filtering, nothing like that at all - just raw Internet access - that's worth it.

Even if it isn't symmetrical.

As long as it comes with a network diagram that the customer can put IP SLA monitoring on, for each hop.

1. boony

Re: 300Mbps?

If that is what you want and need, then you can buy this now. It will cost c£20,000 - £30,000pa. For the IPSLA feature to work properly to measure RTD and , you will need a managed IP service, which costs more, unless you have your own PE router somewhere in a Telehouse and Network Reporting Tools. There is a reason consumer broadband is cheap.

To be fair, you can form a community broadband scheme and buy an Ethernet service from a CP. You can then pay an SI to manage layer 3 for you including IPSLA features. Can cost in quite well, but you will need buy in from said community.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 300Mbps?

I predict 60MBit/s tops on the fibre. Plus throttling down to 10% of that for anything torrent-y.

Personally I''m on copper in Euroland and it tests out at 3.5MBit/s using speedtest but strangely never gets past 660kbit/s for pretty much anything real including legit HTTP downloads of Linux ISOs etc. from local servers :)

And I'll have to start a community telco or WISP or move before we ever get anything faster, OK if you are in high-density housing blocks, they get fibre, or as near as. Maybe LTE will help out in the end but not cheaply :P

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

clueless luddite

1 gig to the home , what a world we live in. soon you will be able to watch 100x the TV on your PC. Something that was never possible with that unreliable old thing called Television.

Apart from streaming TV/Movies what is the benefit then? Maybe being spied on at wire speed by the gubbimint,.

Maybe they should be paying us to have it.

9. randommagic
    Happy

I've had zero downtime on Virgin Media since Virgin took over my connection. I don't have latency issues either. The amount of people who complain compared to the amount who have a service is still very small. I wouldn't imagine its any different for any other ISP.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019