back to article Don't touch Sony, Panasonic's junk, says credit agency

Panasonic has a better chance than Sony of surviving the global disinterest in new consumer electronics, credit rating agency Fitch said today. Fitch downgraded the two debt-saddled firms to junk status: Panasonic's credit rating was pushed down two ranks to double-B, and Sony was nudged down three to double-B-minus. Panasonic …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. anon01789

Sony I wouldn't piss on either--My then tower pc at 9 months old had 1 of 2 dvd drives fail. C.S. could not manage a sentence with out virus in it Neither would they admit that I could only replace it with a liteonit one. They wanted a month to do the repair any possibly wipe the hard drive. I did the job my self with a suitable drive from a local shop for not much money

I have had and handed on a good bit of panasonic kit. My DECT phone uses common batteries

All my panasonic has been good kit

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Because of the Sony root kit incident

...I have not purchased the following from Sony:

2 x TVs

PVR

Camera, Lenses

4 x Phones

2 x Tablets

2 x Music players

Laptop

Desktop

I stopped buying Panasonic when they put adverts in their EPGs.

3. Beelzeebub
    Flame

Old Kit

I had a Panasonic VCR which had picture in picture, so I could watch German TV F1 on my old analogue satellite receiver during the ITV ad breaks (mostly).

Have things really improved in the digital age?

4. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Learning from history

Sony used to make fantastic products.

They invented whole new markets

Their build quality on consumer gear was better than most competitors pro AV kit.

They made products that simply looked wonderful - they cost more but they were the ones you wanted

Their stuff was deliberatly incompatible with anyone else's - but they were Sony

They had fancy boutique stores showing off their kit.

Then their visionary founder/leader left after a serious illness and a line of corporate types took over, their internal divisions cared more about competing with each other than with competitors, instead of delighting customers they began to treat them with contempt....

Nope I can't see a lesson there for anyone - after all if you have $500Bn market cap you can never do any wrong.

5. kissingthecarpet
    Stop

Panasonic & Sony

not paying Fitch enough obviously. Credit ratings agencies like them are just legalised protection rackets. Of course they're not objective - no doubt they don't explain exactly how the ratings are "determined"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Panasonic & Sony

I thought I read a few years back in a lot of major magazine publications that Japan was going to "fix" their Yen. I don't remember exactly how it was worded (been a few years), but I thought they were going to depreciate the Yen because it seemed then over valued and depreciating it would help them get back into world trade.

Did I read this in a dream or was their a plan for something similar to this?

6. envmod

Sony's been shit for years

In fact they were only really any good in the 60s/70s/early80s - been trading on their old rep for far too long and the bubble had to burst sometime. Old Sony silver hi-fi gear from the 70s/80s is very nice though.

I have always had a soft spot for Panasonic and would be sad to see them go. Hopefully it won't happen.

7. Equitas

Like many others, bad experience with Sony after-sales service has led me to avoid their stuff like the plague. Ironically, the twin-deck Panasonic twin-deck ghetto-blaster bought twenty years ago to replace a Sony on which they couldn't make the two tape decks come anywhere remotely close to synchronising, is still working as flawlessly as it did on day one.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like