back to article Mint Linux gifts Unity haters with 'Nadia' ... plus her Mate

Ubuntu users with a hankering for Gnome can take comfort: the latest version of Linux distro Mint has been released. Mint 14, codenamed Nadia, is based on Ubuntu 12.10 comes with Mate 1.4, an updated version of the Mint user interface with greater stability and bug fixes. Mint continued the Gnome 2 look with Mate 1.x, but it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Vic
Silver badge

Re: Mint is great

> make it ext4 and you can easily resize it anyway

ext3 is just as easy to resize...

I'm coming to the position that ext4 should be avoided on laptops if at all possible. Laptops have a tendency to shut down uncleanly - particularly if they're as crap as mine are. ext3 can take a long time to clean up afterwards, but I've had quite a few situations on ext4 where fsck cannot sort the disk out. I've been dropped to a command prompt on many occasions, and I've lost quite a bit of data. Neither of these is a good situation, and for the novice user, an enforced CLI is a show-stopper.

ext4 is much quicker than ext3, but if there's a chance of losing power, I really wouldn't recommend it.

Vic.

Silver badge
Go

It's slightly odd, and cool, installing a fresh copy of Firefox and booting it up to find all your bookmarks already there, even the tabs you had open before you reinstalled.

There is nothing to stop you creating a tarball of your ~/.mozilla directory and restoring it on another system.

I regularly do this when I create a new VM. SImply restore your tarball to a freshly created account before running Firefox and hey presto, all your bookmarks and setting are there.

Why would you need to go through all that trouble? Simply format a home partition, so for future upgrades all your data remains as long as you don't reformat it.

Anonymous Coward

Linux Mint + Maya thumbs up here

I've been using it on my HP Pavilion for a year +. Love it !!

Windows

Re: Linux Mint + Maya thumbs up here

Agree. Plus, it's an LTS, and runs lovely on my 12-year-old Compaq Deskpro, which can only have 512 smegs of RAM.

Why move??

Silver badge

Re: Linux Mint + Maya thumbs up here

Agree. Plus, it's an LTS, and runs lovely on my 12-year-old Compaq Deskpro, which can only have 512 smegs of RAM.

Agreed. I have Maya on a couple of oldish HP systems. A requirement of LM 14 Nadia is PAE required for 32-bit ISOs and I have yet to check whether my HPs can do that.

Yay. Another window manager that's a clone of Windows XP! How innovative - just what the world needs.

Anonymous Coward

The World is happy that way

Maybe it is - if the World is used to it, it's tried and tested and familiar. Maybe The World doesn't see the need for anything radically different, just for the sake of it.

Really nice.

I gave it a test run - have to say Clement and his team actually 'get it' in terms of making something.

IMHO - Shuttleworth should go talk to them and should consider making that whole team his UI folks, and simply give them the full resources to make 'the linux desktop'.

Silver badge
Pint

Re: Really nice.

And today is St. Clement's day. How appropriate.

Anonymous Coward

Mint forced gnome 3 guys to introduce .... Gnome 2!

@Eadon wrote "no one wants to use the god awful Gnome 3, Mint forced gnome 3 guys to introduce .... a "classic mode, i.e. something like Gnome 2, which is what Linux Mint Mate forked."

What utter tripe, wrong on every count!

Firstly you do not appear to know what gnome 3 is as what you actually mean is the desktop UI gnome shell. In linux the desktop is interchangeable and has little to do with the underlying system. All (?) current gnome based linuxes run gnome 3 for the simple reason that gnome 2 is obsolete, what they don't all run is gnome shell on the desktop. Even the MATE desktop runs on top of gnome 3.

Secondly linuxmint had absolutely nothing to do with gnome fallback or classic mode. This was introduced by the Gnome devs on the transition to gnome 3 to cater for machines that didn't have the graphics hardware to run gnome shell, and will be phased out in later releases.

Lastly linuxmint did not fork anything to create MATE as it was developed independently by Perbeos on the Arch linux forums and only adopted by linuxmint.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

This post has been deleted by its author

Headmaster

Re: Mint forced gnome 3 guys to introduce .... Gnome 2!

Interesting. I'd always assumed MATE was a retro-looking DE which ran on top of Gnome 3. Like Cinnamon is. I stand corrected (although I wasn't the original A.Coward, I have a name and I'm not afraid to use it)

I wonder how long MATE will survive as a serious contender without supporting GTK3 and the rest of the Gnome 3 stack. Not too long, I suspect. There's an awful lot of work behind Gnome which isn't the shell, and a lot of apps use those things. Even Canonical didn't move away from Gnome as a whole, just the Shell. I can't see MATE managing to keep GTK2 et al going on their own. Maybe someone will though, I say good luck to them if that's what they want to do.

Just to clarify some terms: Gnome Shell is the black menu bar'd thing which you hated on that Fedora install. That's a desktop shell not a window manager. The window manager in Gnome Shell is called Mutter and it's well nice, I find it's much faster than Metacity (the MATE default/fork, iirc). Gnome 3 is a whole raft of stuff including GTK3, Zeitgeist, GLib, GSettings and more - which Shell, Unity, Cinnamon and other stuff all run on top of.

Grammer Nazi icon 'cos there isn't a nerd nazi one. :)

(btw: you can power down a Gnome Shell desktop from the 'me' menu at the very top right of the screen)

Silver badge
Linux

Really?

"It’s based on Ubuntu and has seen some interest during the last year..."

Plus 1 for understatement.

From what I see on distrowatch Mint has kicked Ubuntu right off the top of the chart. 4379 page hits versus 1895 over the last 30 days.

As other have said, that's the joy of Linux, if you don't like one distro, there's always plenty more to try.

It would seem that Shuttleworth's attempts to branch out into new areas is failing to get users to go in the direction he wants and people are voting with their feet.

This post has been deleted by its author

Headmaster

Re: Really?

Distrowatch is not a very good metric.A better one is visitor by o/s on any given site. For example:-

http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/squids/SquidReportOperatingSystems.htm

Has

Linux Ubuntu 1,189M requests (0.69%) of all

Linux Mint 11 M requests (0.01%)

Windows 121,800 M requests (70.39%) - for comparison sake :-)

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Re: Really?

Good point, but it's not an indication of take up. You can look at most main stream 'Tech' news sites for this regarding a certain fruity company. Number of press releases <> usage. I line Mint, but it isn't used, (as of those October figures), as much as Windows 98 by a factor of three. Just saying like.

Anonymous Coward

Hurumph

Look, this is getting annoying.

For the second time recently I've clicked on a story hoping to get a larger version of the thumbnail - and nothing!!

Anonymous Coward

How quaint

As Windows progresses by adding new features and a more intuitive and productive UI, Team Linux is racing to re-create Windows 95.

Never mind not being able to innovate, even the work Team Linux is copying is almost 20 years old.

And how's that 1% market share doing you? All that "choice" (what everyone else calls "fragmentation", "incompatibility" and "trouble") must be a real benefit is such a small puddle.

Silver badge
FAIL

Re: How quaint

How quaint- it lives under a bridge, look!

Hmm I think you'll find Linux desktop share is between 2 and 5%, although some think it may be as high at 10% worldwide. Supercomputers is over 90%, and mobile devices, well, Android seems quite popular. When you factor those numbers in to the total number of PC's around, it's still what's known in the trade as a 'really big number' - or puddle as you seem to like it phrased.

Since your numbers are out of date, perhaps you attitude is as well - have you taken a look at Unity or Gnome Shell recently?

Anonymous Coward

"Since your numbers are out of date, perhaps you attitude is as well - have you taken a look at Unity or Gnome Shell recently?"

He has but it was different from Windows and therefore he didn't know how to do everything within 5 minutes. This challenged his self-image of being 'good with computers' and as a result he has to come and troll every Linux related topic in order to make himself feel better.

It's pretty sad really.

h3

I have looked at unity and gnome shell recently. (Also Windows 8 and Server 2012).

Desktop effects messing up 3d performance I dunno why that would ever be desirable in any way shape or form. Adding latency to audio pointless and layer upon layer of abstraction (Although jackd is good pulseaudio is awful). udev they merged into systemd and proceeded to break totally.

The BSD's are still ok (Manage to work properly despite the Linux developers breaking everything all the time).

Windows is getting better Linux is getting worse fact.

I wouldn't say Metro is a more productive UI (In fact I think it is next to useless because you cannot pin something to a monitor and use the other monitor independent including start). But it doesn't break performance elsewhere which is the most important thing. (And stuff like powershell 3.0 is great).

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017