back to article Word wonks insist GIFs are really JIFs

Not content with somehow managing to proclaim ‘GIF’ the USA’s word of the year for 2012, the lexicographers at Oxford Dictionaries now insist that the correct pronunciation of the word does not use a hard g, as in golf. The dictionary chose GIF as its word of the year because the USA has gone GIF-crazy. Making satirical GIFs …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Identity

Re: Was the vulture logo created by a jiffics artist on jiff paper?

When I was teaching this stuff, I told my students it could be pronounced either way, depending on whether you thought GIF stood for Graphic Interchange Format or General Interchange Format.

2. Gronk

Re: Was the vulture logo created by a jiffics artist on jiff paper?

I know several mainframe CICS people in the US that also say "kicks".

1. WatAWorld

another case of revisionist history

Maybe you young folks are calling them jifs, but if you were using computers back when Compuserve was still in business, I think you'd have been calling them GIFs with a hard G because at that tune the acronym was spread around with the words it was an acronym of (Graphics Interchange Format) and nowhere in the English speaking world is graphics pronounced with a soft "g".

Compuserv did not provide a pronunciation guide -- it provided the words that the acronym was an acronym of.

I've never heard GIF pronounced jif. If they wanted the J pronunciation they should have spelt it accordingly.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: another case of revisionist history

I was around back when GIFs were being used on CompuServe and elsewhere (mid nineties) and I have always pronounced GIF as "jiff". Whenever someone would say G'if it would stir me to irritation.

For any furtherance of this discussion, anyone who says "I say it this way" or "I say it that way" should state what region they are from.

I am from New York City

and I proudly say JIFF!!!

1. Kevin 6

chicago here and been on the net (and was a compuserv user) and always pronounced it jiff also went to a tech school with a lot of web programmers(about 40% of the student base) and every one used jiff too

2. Franklin
      Thumb Down

Revisionist history? I recall seeing a GIF when the GIF89a standard had just been finalized, revising the older GIF87 standard with transparency and better compression. The first GIF89a-standard GIF I recall seeing was a photo of the standard's creator, Steve Wilhite, with a caption reading "By the way, it's pronounced 'jif'."

CompuServe's own advertising pronounced it the same way, as I recall.

1. wowfood

Gif over here in the south of the UK. I have never once heard anyone pronounce it Jiff.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

As G stands for Graphics

Seems pretty logical to have a hard 'g'.

1. Ben Norris
            Thumb Down

Re: As G stands for Graphics

as P stands for Photographic do you pronounce it JFEG? no. Your logic is invalid

3. Raist
      Thumb Down

I'd like to think I'm in that group of young folks but instead I'm on the net since bbs' ascii art... never heard GHIF until 2008, used JIFF for decades

4. Ben Norris
      Thumb Down

The creator of the format pronounced it jiff! Do you say JFEG?

Giant ginger gifs of giraffes

2. Steve Knox
    Happy

Funny, I always pronounced it

to-MAY-to

3. Martin Budden Silver badge
    Headmaster

G

I'm in Australia, and I've never heard JIFF. Always the hard G GIF here. It stands for "Graphics Interchange Format", and because "Graphics" has a hard G so GIF must have a hard G too.

What does bug me is when people pronounce SAP as one word: "sap". It's supposed to be "S. A. P.", and I should know because I used to be a professional SAP trainer, so there.

1. Neoc

Re: G

Also from OZ, always heard it pronounced "ghif". and JPEG are "jay-peg". And SAP is "sap" (not "s.a.p."). CISCO is "sisko".

I think the major difference is when you first started to learn about computers - I think we'd see some interesting correlations between age and pronunciation.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

SAP is "sap", as in "sapping my will to live."

1. TeeCee Gold badge
          Coat

Or as in; "You bought that POS? You poor sap......".

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: G @ Neoc

"I think the major difference is when you first started to learn about computers - I think we'd see some interesting correlations between age and pronunciation."

I agree. Sad when you refer to a G.U.I. in an IT department meeting and get blank stares. Think they all tended to say "Sequel" as well as "gooey". I've always put it down to having seen them as acronyms before they became commonplace and someone thought it'd be kewl to - I forget the word for making an acronym into a word.

1. MJI Silver badge
          WTF?

Re: G @ Neoc

Well I call it a GUI, GIF as before G from Graphics

SQL never got this sequel nonsence. Anyway SQuirreL sounds better, goes with GIraFfe.

I prefer ISAM anyway, got about 10 lines of SQL in our system, however it is fun to use ISAM on an SQL select.

NOTE: Some SQL servers started life as ISAM access client server engines and just grew extremely powerful filtering technology.

2. MJI Silver badge

GIF in the UK

SAP we call them the owners of Extended Systems

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Australia == G

Hmm. I lived in Brisbane in the early 90's, and would have first heard the term then. Naturally, being in Austraila, I heard (and repronounced) it "jif".

4. Irony Deficient

the pronunciation of other acronyms

PNG: /ˈpɪndʒ.i/ (“pindgy”).

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Re: the pronunciation of other acronyms

To be honest, I just insert an 'i' and pronounce it 'ping'.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And DFS is 'duuhhhrfs".

Fonejacker FTW.

1. Hyphen

I demand to know where I buy a Joovc television to watch my Doovdé on. Maybe I should buy one from Hoomv.

5. Captain DaFt
    Coat

Yeah yeah, I've always heard it pronounced with the the hard G, but nitpickers gotta pick.

(After all, like the old peanut butter commercial said; "Choosy Mothers choose Jiff.")

1. hplasm
      Holmes

Choosy Mothers choose Jiff

'Cause it starts with a 'J'.

6. Jonathan Cohen
    FAIL

JIF!!!

I've was running an online BBS in the UK in the 80's before GIF files even existed and never heard it pronounced anything other than JIF. Recently I've heard a few (non-technical) people say "gif", but regarded that as excusable as those crazy Microsoft admins who say "sequel".

In fact I had to re-read the article twice as I couldn't believe The Reg was complaining about the correct pronunciation!

What next, people saying Gnome should be pronounced the same way as the garden variety?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: JIF!!!

Agreed

-- George Gregg the garden jnome.

7. Notas Badoff
    Happy

Oh what a whirled!

Well, well, and well. Now let's move on to whether the bodger's bid for fame is spelled "kludge" or "kluge", and then by the bye we can find out the whimsical ways the out-of-touch pronounce this gem.

Really, it depends on whether your pronunciation came via assumed reading/definition, or was transmitted orally. Golly, I can see the 'graphics' construction, but I think you're gypping yourself to insist on it.

BTW: yes, definitely "kicks", though recently a long-past-that-stage (she's lawyer now) CICS/Cobol programmer asked me what I meant by "kicks". Later, she kicked me when I tried pronouncing "IANAL". Lif iz liq þat zumthymes.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Oh what a whirled!

I have a 1968 Kluge "EHD" "finishing press" ... Foil-stamp, emboss, and die-cut, all on one machine! What a wonderful bit of kit! She's fully functional (if you can manage 440V), shrink-wrapped, and waiting on a new owner ... I use my Heidelberg Windmill for that kind of thing these days. Personal preference.

Both machines are kludges. Wonderful kludges, but kludges nonetheless :-)

2. Paul Webb
      Headmaster

I now use 'kludge' or 'kluge' according to whether I mean a bodge or a clever work-around.

This is after being 'korrected' by an only-mildy-humourless Teutonic pedant who is old enough to have contributed to what became JARGON.TXT.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Should that not be "the Gargon File"?

8. jake Silver badge
    Pint

Silly Con Valley reporting in ...

It's been pronounced "gif" since the late 80s.

"Gigawatts" is properly pronounced "jiggawatts", as the root of the word is the same as "gigantic". Likewise, the root of "GIF" is the same as "Graphic". Local colloquialisms may vary, of course, but they are not always pronounced the way the terminology was initially vocalized. Another case in point is the "rowter" vs. "rooter" pronunciation for "router". When we invented it, it was "rowter", but YMMV locally.

One wonders if the folks at Oxford will ever learn what NCSA Mosaic was (I can't be arsed to peruse my big dic to see if it's listed ...), and how Netscape built on that structure, including animated GIFs, in the early '90s. This is ancient tech, regardless, nothing to see here, pass along all ...

Ah, well. Beer, because beer has more meaning than this kind of pointless argument.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Silly Con Valley reporting in ...

The root of both gigawatts and gigantic is the Greek word γίγας (pronounced gigas not jigas). Please don't try to tell me that gigawatts should be jigawatts. Ever. The question is more why we pronounce gigantic with a soft g...

1. jake Silver badge

@AC06:04 (was: Re: Silly Con Valley reporting in ...)

"The question is more why we pronounce gigantic with a soft g..."

Because language mutates. Get used to it. The concept isn't going to go away.

1. Robert Grant
          FAIL

Re: @AC06:04 (was: Silly Con Valley reporting in ...)

More because your argument mutates depending on the facts :)

You just said that it should be with a soft g because of the similar case of "gigantic", he proves you wrong and says actually "gigantic" is the exception, at which point you do a 180 from the idea of casuistic argument and just say, "Well things in language are just inconsistent!"

And, "Get used to it"? Meaningless American comebacks do not hide your crappy logic, sir!

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @AC06:04 (was: Silly Con Valley reporting in ...)

"Because language mutates. Get used to it. The concept isn't going to go away."

You lost, my friend. Try to do so with a bit of dignity. And the order to tell people to accept things is hypocritical coming from someone who's just been lecturing on the proper way to pronounce things.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

" Greek word γίγας (pronounced gigas not jigas)"

Er, no it's not. γ does not have an equivalent pronunciation in English. It's a soft g in the same way as the Scottish ch is a soft k. Sounds a bit like you're building up phlegm.

There's no reason why we need to pronounce a word derived from a foreign language in the same way they do. And an acronym, when pronounced like a word, can be said any way you want to, because it's a made up word.

1. Anonymous Dutch Coward
          Pint

γίγας=gigas?

Are you sure you're not confusing the pronunciation of the gamma with that of the chi?

But then again, that pronunciation may be... regional ;)

2. ISYS
      Pint

Ah the English language is a wonderful thing!

When you clever chaps invented the device that you call a 'rowter' you decided to call it a router - because it routes packets. Route is pronounced 'root' - it is from the French word 'Route' which means route/road/pathway etc.

As you correctly point out though - Beer.

3. Steve the Cynic

Routers and routers....(was Re: Silly Con Valley reporting in ...)

The rooters-v-rowters thing is easy.

There are two different words here. When "router" refers to a piece of network infrastructure that sends packets along the correct (mostly) route, it is "router", that which routes. Verb "route", pronunciation "root", noun "router", pronunciation "rooter". When "router" refers to a woodworking tool, it is a "router" that "routs". "Rout" has two senses - one refers to inflicting a massive military defeat, forcing a broken army to flee, while the other refers to gouging a channel in the surface of a piece of wood. A tool to do the latter is a "router". Verb: "rout", pronunciation "rowt", noun "router", pronunciation "rowter".

Sadly, many of our North American colleagues are convinced that the woodworking pronunciation applies to both groups of words, as it is reasonably common to hear them talk about going along "Rowt 17"...

It's all largely irrelevant. We all know what people mean, even if we think they are ignorant savages for the way they pronounce our language...

1. Simon_Sharwood_Reg_APAC_Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Routers and routers....(was Silly Con Valley reporting in ...)

here in Australia, "root" means the same but is a little ruder than ,"shag" is in the UK. So "rooters" is out and "rowters" are in.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
          Go

@Simon_Sharwood_Reg_APAC_Editor Re: Routers and routers....(was Silly Con Valley reporting in ...)

I'm in Australia too, and I pronounce it "rooters" precisely because it sounds like it means "shaggers". I love how people in the office try really really hard to keep a straight face.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "We all know what people mean"

*MOST* of the time.

Guaranteed there will be confusion when the understanding is critically important!

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You should peruse that dictionary of yours. You'd learn that the first G in the prefix giga- can be said either way. As for router, Americans say rowt, we say route - good that you realise pronunciations differ regionally. We don't need you to point it out. Why the bit about Mosaic? Expect people to be impressed that you know about something (else) from the dim past? I get the impression that's pretty much the only reason you ever pipe up. Pretty sad, Jake.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A router in the UK can be determined, by pronunciation, if you're networking or woodworking.

When I encounter Americans who call networking kit a 'rowter' I ask them to clarify the pronunciation in the context of on which road they'd 'get their kicks'.

6. MJI Silver badge

Uk Router is Rooter

9. Eugene Goodrich
    Holmes

Pronunciation comes from the words it acronymizes

Yeah, where I come from we knew it must be "jiff" because it stood for "giraffic interchange format". (We primary used it for pictures of giraffes, you see.)

Also, we would trade pictures in this format with friends, but we'd always do it for free - so we considered these were like "Christmas or birthday jifts for your friends." (Only, they could be given on any day of the year.)

Anyway, whatever it's called, it's a jreat format, and I'm so pleased they made it.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Jack Ketch
      Stop

Re: Pronunciation comes from the words it acronymizes

I keep seeing this 'rule' being parroted, but can anyone actually find a source for it? I know of many acronyms in regular use which do not follow it, and there is no such controversy over their pronunciations.

Acronyms are words in their own right.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.