back to article El Reg acquires wildly dangerous laser cannon (with lightsabre option)

Once a year, El Reg's Special Projects Bureau compiles a hardware/office supplies acquisition list for the coming 12 months, which is ceremoniously laid before management in the hope the Vulture Central coffers are particularly cornucopious. The trick is to slip in the more provocative items amid the usual litany of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. thomas newton

@ graham marsden

do you really think Stabby McChav is reading this, and would spend his hard-earned giro on one? they'll stick with the £5 jobbies from the local tat shop.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: @ graham marsden

Or steal one?

2. Pen-y-gors

Sharks for sale

Try http://www.sharksforsale.org/saltwater-sharks-for-sale/

6ft long black head shark, only $950 - I'm sure they can find that in El Reg's petty cash - although building the aquiarium may cost a bit more (anyone got any transparent aluminium?)

1. Christoph

Re: Sharks for sale

How about mounting it on an Air Swimmers Remote Control Flying Shark?

1. dogged
        Thumb Up

Re: Sharks for sale

That (the shark) may very well be the coolest thing ever.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Thomas Newton

... No they won't stick to their £5 tat. They'll be impressed that these things can pop balloons, or burn stuff, and want the higher powers. What El Reg bought was a precision machined aluminium device that is tested and comes with safety instructions and glasses. What the chavs will buy shall be cheap chinese crap off ebay with no safety and no true measurements or testing.

There is no need for these things - anything above say 5mw should be banned outside of licensed industrial use. This comes from me as an engineer that is interested in using lasers, and the higher power ones too (free space optics), but I don't see a problem with being charged a one off cost for a license. This will dissuade idiots from buying, and give the authorities something hard to crack down against when people sell these items.

4. Robert E A Harvey
    Thumb Up

This is what I want from a tech publication

Mindless gee-whizzery!

Hurrah!

5. jubtastic1
    Thumb Down

I'm in the killjoy camp

"You'll shoot your eye out!"

Massive potential for accidental permenent blindness outweighs coolness of these lasers.

1. Squeezer

Re: I'm in the killjoy camp

When I was at NPL to do some equipment calibration last year I was amused at a warning sign on one of their optical test benches -- "Warning -- do not look into the laser beam with your remaining eye" :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm in the killjoy camp

These must be standard in every laser lab. My partner did a chemistry masters at Oxbridge and they had one.

They also had a load of service technicians who had points of vision missing because they got complacent. It's very, very easy to get complacent, it's also very easy to forget that a laser will knacker your vision above only a few milliwatts.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

137km?

I seriously doubt that the green laser will be flashlight-levels of illumination at 137km as stated in the article. I suspect an extra digit there. 13km I could easily believe, but being able to illuminate, say, the ISS at flashlight levels from the ground? I don't think so....

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: 137km?

Well, I had the same thought, and double checked with the manufacturer. They say that figure is correct...

2. A J Stiles
      Boffin

No, it's quite believable. Even a cheap "toy" 1mW red laser pointer can, with careful adjustment of the focus, produce a spot which is visible from 100 metres.

A laser is a point source and very tightly collimated, so the beam of light is a cone -- but one with a very, very small angle (the kind of angle where you don't bother distinguishing between θ, sin θ and tan θ anymore). The energy in the beam is distributed over the cross-sectional area of the base of the cone. Which, precisely because the angle is so narrow, doesn't vary much with distance.

3. Christoph

Get them to add a Bessel beam output to the expanded lens kit. A perfect Bessel beam (which can't be made) doesn't spread out. At all.

7. Magnus_Pym

Home defence weapon?

... fire it off through a rotating mirror ball type thing and blind everybody in the room not wearing the correctly tinted glasses?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Lovely, but dangerous

Considering that incidents of lasers shone at planes on approach or police helicopters are on the increase in the UK, it's not particularly a good idea to be trumpeting the powers that this gadget has.

Not only is it illegal in the UK (because of its power output), but it is dangerous in the hands of a non-professional (your daughter excluded, since she has a dad who is a professional).

As much as it looks like a lot of fun, I'd prefer my pilots to be able to see things in the last few miles on approach into an airport, thank you very much.

1. DragonLord

Re: Lovely, but dangerous

They're not illegal in the UK as there are so many legal reasons to own them (if you're a company, just a few if you're hobbyist). They are most definitely illegal to misuse though just like anything else like kitchen knives, baseball bats, bb guns, etc.

2. Chemist

Re: Lovely, but dangerous

"I'd prefer my pilots to be able to see things in the last few miles"

Me too. We were standing on the beach in the south of France a few weeks ago - very dark, beautiful starry night, far from any serious light pollution and then suddenly a brilliant green beam started up from inland pointing up and out into the med. sky. It flashed all over the place for about a minute, no obvious pattern like a laser light show, and then stopped. What it might have done to a pilot or even a sailor doesn't bear thinking about.

9. Loyal Commenter Silver badge
    Boffin

This is no toy

"For real penetration, though, check out the stats on the 532nm green Krypton. At full power, its NOHD is the same as the Arctic - 149m. However, its FL1 is a staggering 137,120m."

To give that some perspective, that is 85 miles.

I can see few reasons why anyone working outside of an industrial or research setting using such lasers would need something that can project a visible spot of light onto a building in London, from Swindon.

1. dogged

Re: This is no toy

However, destroying Swindon from anywhere can only be a good thing.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

@dogged, a good point, well made.

2. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Re: This is no toy

Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Me, I've wanted to go to the top of Pikes Peak, and have somebody in Goodland, KS, and see if the trip can be made....

The folks on the Cog Rail say you CAN see a corrugated roof in Goodland on your way up, if the sun is right.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dangerous in an idiots hands

I have one of those cheapo green lasers I got off Ebay a while ago. Can't remember the output (not to hand to check). Think it was well over 1mW though. Might be 3 or 5 not sure. Anyhow the first time I had it I was playing with it indoors and decided to shine it out into the dark outside the back window. Silly me forgetting to open it first and that that glass is reflective. I ended up being zapped in one eye. I had a bright green blob on the back of my retina for a good hour or more. Luckily I don't think I did any lasting damage but it was a good warning of just how dangerous these things can be.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sigh...

As i own the Dragon lasers spartan 1w blue laser,( a better quality item than the shit wicked lasers pump, no pun intended, out) , a 500mw green laser, 300mw red and a 2.5w IR laser the one thing that has been overlooked is the quality of the optics.They are shite and the beam divergenge is massive. At 100 meters the "spot" is about 2-3 inches across, at 500 meters its about a foot....

Also, none of these operate in true TEM00 mode.......

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sigh...

I've also wondered about the coherence length as well - if you are doing holography, you need a coherence length > the depth of field.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.