back to article Snooper's-charter plans are just misunderstood, sniffles tearful May

Home Secretary Theresa May appeared before peers and MPs in Westminster on Wednesday afternoon to face questions about her proposed communications data bill, which has been almost universally rejected by people outside the security services bubble. Excellent Hallowe'en vampire makeup, Minister Her Hallowe'en session was the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Big Brother

"It's amazing how our government criticizes the likes of China for snooping on its citizens and censoring the internet, but then our own government plans to do exactly the same. "

Oh no (they will say) that would stifle freedom of *speech* which is what authoritarian regimes do.

We just want to know *when* you're saying (and who you're saying it to) things

And what you're looking at.

And where you are when you're doing it.

Forever.

1. Ascy
    Unhappy

I e-mailed my MP about all this...

...and got a reply back from some government department (which I plan on responding to, but have been too busy thus far). One of my points was that the general public haven't got a great deal to fear from any of this, but MPs have. Can you imagine how much private investigators would pay some minimum wage worker in TalkTalk for some MP's browsing and e-mail history? I bet foreign powers and big business would all love this information! I was told not to worry as the Information Commissioner was going to make sure all the data was protected. I can only assume that the person who actually wrote the reply letter was from an alternate universe, one where the IC didn't sit idly by while Phorm spied on BT broadband users and Google went round slurping up wifi data.

The best bit of the letter I had, though, was when it was stated that the government have ways round encryption, but for obvious reasons they couldn't tell me what they were. Now I'm no cryptography expert, but I am a software developer (for the enterprise) and I have raid the odd beginner's book on cryptography, and that statement just shows how technically illiterate people working for (or advising) the government) really are.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I e-mailed my MP about all this...

" Now I'm no cryptography expert, but I am a software developer (for the enterprise) and I have raid the odd beginner's book on cryptography, and that statement just shows how technically illiterate people working for (or advising) the government) really are."

There are loosely two types of people who are called technical experts. Those who know very little but think they know everything - and those who know a lot and realise there's more they don't know.

It is usually the former, with their "positive" attitudes, who are selected to encourage management into expensive white elephants that have to be covered by spin later.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Fun in XSSXXXX Games. Who Dares Win Wins

"One of my points was that the general public haven't got a great deal to fear from any of this, but MPs have. Can you imagine how much private investigators would pay some minimum wage worker in TalkTalk for some MP's browsing and e-mail history? I bet foreign powers and big business would all love this information!" .... Ascy Posted Thursday 1st November 2012 16:10 GMT

If the likes of an Office of Cyber Security in the likes of a GCHQ operation don't already know everything they need to know about useful puppets and wannabe leaders in parliamentary pantomime, in order to be able do whatever they want with impunity and guaranteed immunity, with others always carrying the can and being held responsible and/or accountable for their actions whenever they are discovered, for the truth has a beautiful habit of always popping up just at the right time to lay waste to the mightiest plans of mice who would pretend to be great men, are they an epic failed enterprise only in need of a new head of government global communication.

Ascy, you do realise how easy it is to create a impression/profile, which has been specifically tailored to give a particular impression with carefully considered visits to peculiar websites, for phormation and generation of blank ammo which will prove to be harmless and great fun when used and abused in a series of honey traps which metadata analysts haven't realised has been intelligently designed to provide them with blank ammunition.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Fun in XSSXXXX Games. Who Dares Win Wins

"Ascy, you do realise how easy it is to create a impression/profile, which has been specifically tailored to give a particular impression with carefully considered visits to peculiar websites, for phormation and generation of blank ammo which will prove to be harmless and great fun when used and abused in a series of honey traps which metadata analysts haven't realised has been intelligently designed to provide them with blank ammunition."

That sounded quite coherent.

Proving once again all information is a subset of noise. .

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like