back to article Google stiffs Samsung on price, now wireless charging too

Not content with undercutting Samsung's Galaxy S III mobile by two hundred quid, Google's Nexus 4 handset is using the Qi charging standard to provide the wireless charging Samsung still can't offer. Sammy's handset was announced with support for wireless power charging, and will get it eventually, but in the meantime Google ( …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Sean Timarco Baggaley

Re: No SD card - not much of a problem

... or I could just buy the 64GB model and not have to faff about with tiny, irritating pieces of plastic that will be instantly lost down the back of a sofa within picoseconds of having been removed from that bloody maddening blister pack that always manages to find a way to slice strips off my thumb.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

And I can't say I miss the manual file-handling bollocks either. Quite why anyone thought implementing that feature from Windows CE / 6.x was a great idea escapes me. Sure, it's 'flexible', but it's also a world of hurt if you're the "good with computers" member of a family that refuses to listen to your advice when making its IT purchasing decisions, but is more than happy to waste hours of your life afterwards when they can't work out which of the myriad bloody menus and icons is the gateway to a particularly obscure* setting.

* (for very small values of 'obscure'. Like "How do I setup the internet connection with my service provider?")

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sammy is getting stiffed - there is no love between Google (who want to make a buck out of Motorola but really just care about search) and Amazon (who strip Android bare and have their own store) and all the other manufacturers who wait for Google to fleetingly look their way before moving on to the next.

Who gets the next Nexus...? If I were Samsung I would not be happy - there is no brand loyalty with Android as there is with Apple / iOS.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google give it to LG this time, Asus, then perhaps HTC, then Motorola and back to Samsung - just enough to keep them happy while they cut each others throats. The phone makers should make Google pay to make Google the default search engine / mapping etc.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Life looks simpler in Apple world just get a new handset every 2 years or even longer. Most of these Android devices will be junk in 2 years time. The manufacturers make short term profits building Android and helping Google in the long term. Just wait until Google decide that Motorola should start paying it's way and screw HTC, Samsung etc.

4. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

Is this really new?

My local library has a white box near the reading room, with a red circle painted on it. I asked what it's for.

My Finnish is nowhere near good, but I asked more. "Do you have a mobile?" "Er, yep". "Well if you need to charge it, give me your library ticket, and I'll give you an adapter"

It was a small ring, they have several for lots of different 'phones. As my Nokia N8 was short of power, I took advantage of it, and charged it fine. I didn't really like the idea of plonking my N8 on a magnetic field*, but it was OK.

*Only convenient charging point in our kitchen is next to the microwave, so I charge my devices there. I mistakenly placed Girlie's netbook on the oven, while charging it. She heated up a cup of coffee in the mic. and almost bricked it. Only a lot of F9's got it back...

5. takuhii

MEANWHILE, AT THE ALLIANCE OF WIRELESS POWER!!!!!!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.