back to article Slideshow: A History of Horror in 20 Scary Games

Complimented on the cobwebs, skeletal remains and general stench of death in my flat the other day, I suddenly remembered it was Halloween this week, so here's another nostalgic slideshow to celebrate. This time it's a collection of 20 pant-cacking games, titles that raised the hair on the back of our necks or at least raised …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Jock in a Frock
    Devil

Another oldie

Eye of the Beholder on the Amiga - pooped my pants more than once while blindly running through the catacombs.

2. ElReg!comments!Pierre

AID was the first ont that came to mind.

Then Diablo. Then Doom.

Special mention for nethack, wich would be first spot hands down if it wasn't possible to just get up and go get a nice cuppa in the knowledge that nothing will have changed in the meantime.

3. Myopic Aardvark
    WTF?

Clive Barker's Undying

A game that so creeped me out that when the loading screen suddenly popped up as I was moving through an (empty) corridor, I cried out in terror. My wife winds me up about that to this day.

Doom 3? Seriously? Oh look, there's a shadow/pickup - I bet a monster is going to appear... yep, it did. Yawn.

Doom was far scarier than Doom 3.

4. spiny norman

Dungeon Master ....

... on an Atari ST. Scariest thing I'd seen at the time. Somehow I've never found PC games as absorbing as the Atari ones, despite, or maybe because of, all the technical advances.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Alen resurrection on the playstation. Sadly overlooked as it didn't sell that well but had a super scary atmosphere and even a recommendation that you play the game in the dark...

6. andy gibson

Chiller

Chiller - Commodore 64:

http://www.commodorecomputerclub.com/images/103111/chiller.gif

Or how about the NES version:

http://www.gameclassification.com/EN/games/1930-Chiller/index.html

7. Gazareth

Loved the 7th Guest

D was good as well, although I suspect it hasn't aged well.

Half Life gave me a few jumpy moments, and the Ravenholm level in HL2...

The opening of Bioshock, where you're trapped in the Bathysphere had the heart racing too!

8. Number13
    Boffin

It might sound crazy

but the original XCom game scared the hell out of me.

It was really atmospheric (and I were a nipper) and the "Alien Activity" noise between turns got me more and more wound up as I slowly progressed through the Fog of War :)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like