back to article Petition for Alan Turing on £10 note breaks 20,000 signatures

A petition to get British wartime crypto-boffin Alan Turing on the next ten-pound note has broken 20,000 signatures on the government's e-petition site. At least 23,157 people have signed the pledge that praises his contribution to computer science, the nation and the world, and calls for Turing to replace Charles Darwin when …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Beckham???

Please tell me someone is having a giraffe....

This is nearly as bad as that pointless twat Will.I.Am having his drivel broadcast across the cosmos...

Beckham....

BECKHAM......

Sorry i'm just flabberghasted he's even being considered....

2. adam payne

Beckham are they being serious?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Unfortunately yes

...there are even some people who think he should be on the FRONT of the note (as in him specifically as head of state - not just in some anti-royal generic way).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My list

Richard Dawkins (just to piss most of the US off and to accompany Charles Darwin)

The Archbishop of Canterbury (to balance Richard Dawkins)

The Pope (to balance the CoE vs Catholic thing)

God (to make a set with the Pope)

The prophet Muhammed 'peace be upon him' (actually just a blank space where his image would be as we don't want to offend anybody)

Satan (to balance the God thing)

Pam Ayres

4. Alan Brown Silver badge

Only one living person...

...who was not a head of state, has appeared on any banknote worldwide.

and I bet only a few people can name him.

1. Phil E Succour
      Meh

Re: Only one living person...

Well I think Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was on a Scottish bank note during her lifetime, and whilst she was married to one head of state and mother of another she wasn't actually one herself. Then there was Edmund Hillary on a Kiwi note. And I seem to remember some proposal to put Jack Nicklaus on Scottish note in recognition of his prowess on the links, but I don't know if it ever happend.

So your count of one might be off.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.