back to article APPLE: SCREW YOU, BRITS, everyone else says Samsung copied us

Apple has complied with a UK court order by admitting on its website that Samsung's Galaxy Tab did not rip off the patented iPad design. High Court Judge Birss had instructed Apple to publish a statement online and in print after ruling that the South Korean electronics giant had not infringed Cupertino's patent. The statement …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Translate English in to Apple

Ga, go, go, MINE, ga, ga, goo. COURT WRONG, ga, ga go, go, APPLE SORT OF WON CASE IN GERMANY, ga ga, go,go.

Thumb Down

Apple really are slimy scumbags

I used to just despise their lack of business ethics, but now I despite anyone that has an dealings with them whatsoever.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple really are slimy scumbags

Good, you don't seem like a very interesting or likeable person anyway. Not to mention you don't even read what you type.

Anonymous Coward

Sounds good, I quite enjoy Swedish heavy metal.

FAIL

and you AC are so proud you've hidden your identity tsk tsk

glass houses and stones?

Anonymous Coward

Proud? Why, was there any pride in my post? I do all stone throwing with a mask.

Anonymous Coward

Because you real name is Cocknee isn't it?

Anonymous Coward

Silence, "King Of The Hill" and "Office Space" were excellent.

Thumb Up

Don't forget the epic Idiocracy, where the world is full of braindead idiots they buy what the television tells them to buy...

Wait a minute, that's America today....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

Thumb Up

"Don't forget the epic Idiocracy, where the world is full of braindead idiots they buy what the television tells them to buy..."

THANK YOU!

Anonymous Coward

Well, Idiocracy was a typical mediocre Hollywood cliche-ridden film that failed to make the best use of the underlying idea.

So, the fact it was a failure at the box office in the USA actually suggests some intelligence and calling it epic suggests you're a fucking idiot.

Silver badge

Nice Ad-hom you have there AC. It's a good thing there's no need for a cogent or reasoned argument when you can cuss like that, eh?

Silver badge

I think that maybe slagging off the film Idiocracy for failing at the box office has a certain amount fo irony to it. I, for one, enjoyed the film. As visions for the future go, it is firmly in the 'lighthearted comedy', rather than 'Bladerunner' camp. Calling it 'epic' is pushing it a bit (for one it isn't over 3 hours long), but criticising it in the way you are kind of misses the point.

Maybe the reason the film didn't do very well in the US is that it indults brainded unthinking morons, exactly the people who tend to make up the audience of 'successful' hollywood films. Maybe such people aren't really predisposed to understand satire. As I said; irony.

This post has been deleted by its author

Linux

No Apple branding on the page? I wonder why?

Silver badge

No Samsung branding either - so at least it's balanced. (just about the only part of the diatribe that is)

Anonymous Coward

Rattled

Well at least you can tell from reading it that the order really rattled them and they have put it up through gritted teeth.

It's nice to think that they are actually having a bit of a tantrum about it.

In reality it doesn't matter how many people actually see it, I think it's good enough to know that Apple had to do it and hated doing it (and also many layers of management were involved in hating it)

Trollface

I need an eye test

When I looked at your image pointing out the link, I thought someone has scribbled some kind of elaborate sex toy on the apple site.

Anonymous Coward

Hmmm

I'm detecting a bit of problem here - is an object cool if it described as being so by someone as uncool as a judge?

"My iPad Mini's cool because a high court judge said it was" [ignoring the ongoing spec deficiencies or otherwise of said object]

And does anyone cool use the word 'cool' any more? Not having ever been cool, I wouldn't know.

Re: Hmmm

I do.

But then I do work of a fridge manufacturer.

Pint

Re: Hmmm

After reading his ruling on this, and a few other cases he's sat on; in my opinion Judge Birss is the frikkin' Fonz on the UK courts.

Gimp

"Screw the Brits" is this a typo? I think you mean "Screw the blind" as they're the only ones who may - unfortunately - not see Samsung copied their stuff from Apple.

Not even the court admitted that much if you read the decision. They made it very clear it was all about infringing design patents and not about copying.

Silver badge

Oh to have such blinkered vision, perhaps you have an app for that.

Anonymous Coward

Have you got any orifices left that Google hasn't probed ukgnome?

Silver badge

Strangely you are very close to the truth, as Google did indeed shaft me. (why not search for my blog posts?) I have no love for them, but even less for Apple. It's as if they are trying to be the new Microsoft or something.

Anonymous Coward

His pocket?

Anonymous Coward

Where can I find your blog posts ukgnome? So it seems you hate Google, Apple and Microsoft these days?

What a dark and hateful world you must live in.

Anonymous Coward

"Have you got any orifices left that Google hasn't probed ukgnome?"

Yes, YOURS!

Anonymous Coward

"Where can I find your blog posts ukgnome?"

Really?

Your iPad doesn't help you problem solve, does it?

Anonymous Coward

I think you can lead a perfectly happy and healthy existence - while maintaining a healthy distrust, if not outright dislike for ethically questionable large corporations.

IT Angle

"I think you can lead a perfectly happy and healthy existence - while maintaining a healthy distrust, if not outright dislike for ethically questionable large corporations."

I guess so, if keep your money under the mattress, make your own transporation system and access the internet from the library. (god forbid buying computers, ALL tech manufacturers are ethically questionable)

Actually scratch that, the Internet is controlled by very large - ethically questionable - corporations. Better stick to amateur radio.

Holmes

Usually when I want to search for a Blog post I use Google to Search.

It seems that ukgnome blog will show the results. He does seem to be quite angry.

*My eyes, my eyes

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

ukgnome @Worm

I see, I was using Bing to search and ukgnome only suggested books about gnomes, "Cheap garden gnomes" or something abou Police Novelty Gnomes which sounds positively intriguing.

He's definitely not well ranked by Bing.

Anonymous Coward

"the Internet is controlled by very large - ethically questionable - corporations."

You Sir, are misinformed and delusional.

"ALL tech manufacturers are ethically questionable"

yes those nice charity people that make the Pi are indeed.....oh hang on, see above.

"Better stick to amateur radio"

Or amateur commentarding

Anonymous Coward

Re: ukgnome @Worm

"He's definitely not well ranked by Bing."

Oh no, you may have just given him something else to moan about on his self-centred and depressing blog.

I can't understand why he's in IT at all.

Anonymous Coward

"the Internet is controlled by very large - ethically questionable - corporations."

You Sir, are misinformed and delusional."

Oh really? Let's see. ICANN and Verisign for starters? All Tier 1 carriers?

"yes those nice charity people that make the Pi are indeed"

If by "people" who make the Pi you mean Broadcom you may want to look into their ethical background. I wouldn't call soldering some third party chips to a circuit board "making" the Pi, since the Pi wouldn't exist without Broadcom - it's their recipe.

Silver badge

Re: @Metavisor

How crushing, that is how crushing it must be for a fanboi to resort to using Bing. maybe you are using it for the maps (I know I am)

It is rather funny, that my digitalspy posts are ranked higher that my self-centred and depressing blogs. But I think this is slightly off topic from the fact that Apple has failed in the UK courts wishes and no amount of name calling will ever make it seem like they have followed the judgement. Sometimes you just have to accept that even the great Apple slips up from time to time, and this is one of those times.

Coat

Re: @Metavisor

Crushing to use Bing? How tragic. I keep a good rotation of search engines to try them out, Google Search results are too crowded with rubbish these days, even when logged out and packing adblock and ghostery. Most times it just links to wikipedia, which is far from being a reliable, or in Google speak "high quality" source anyway.

I'd say only the faithful or those who don't know better stick to it.

Last week I was on DuckDuckGo which is still the best so far and strangely ranks different from Bing.

As for Apple failing UK court's wishes, that's merely your opinion. From my reading of the appeal court's statement, Apple's page says what it should. Law is not a science so it's natural different people will have different opinions. Your immediate reaction of calling me "blinkered" is quite a shallow argument to that discussion.

Anyway look forward to the newspaper ads in Arial 14.

Re: I see your point.

"Congratulation to them for their excellent marketing, but marketing a product well doesn't preclude others being able to produce and market similar products."

Indeed - or to be precise, the near entirely of the media gave them vast amounts of free advertising, even before it was announced (remember iStale?), let alone released. Followed up by loads of companies providing "apps" for their websites or services, only for the minority of ipad users, and not more popular platforms like Android, Symbian, or indeed Windows desktop.

The only Android tablets to have an coverage at all have been the more recent Kindle Fire and Nexus 7, and that's pretty much only followed on after they turned out to sell millions.

"I don't understand why these court cases don't involve samsung wheeling in a trolley full of junk they bought off ebay that has the same features as the iPad but was made 5 years earlier."

Possibly refused as evidence, for whatever barmy reason?

Anonymous Coward

ukgnome @Worm

Ok, I admit it, I went and looked at the blog. I wondered how Google had screwed him/her.

What I found was someone who ordered something online, asked for it to be sent to the wrong address and then complained thst it didn't arrive. Then the other posts get even worse. So much sadness

Anonymous Coward

Oh really? Let's see. ICANN and Verisign for starters? All Tier 1 carriers?

ICANN you can make an argument for wrt the custom domain name fiasco (only rich people could buy them). what has verisign done so wrong?

As for the Pi, Yes Broadcom have had ethical issues. Why does that rule them out for being a supplier for Pi chips? it just isnt feasable to scrutinize at that level, especially for bedroom manufacturers that the Pi manufactureres started off as.

Headmaster

2001 A Space Oddyssey was 44 years ago. 2010 (the year we made contact) was 28 years ago. Two facts we can derive from this :-

A) By 2010 they realized tablets were just a bit useless really.

&

B) We aint' getting any younger.

Anonymous Coward

but marketing a product well doesn't preclude others being able to produce and market similar products

Wasn't t that why in summing up in the US case Apple's legal team pointed out that HTC, RIM, Nokia, Sony Ericsson, and everyone else under the sun hadn't copied them? That their similar products were different.

It was just Samsung, and it was just certain models.

It was not all manufacturers and not all smartphones/tablets.

My Nokia 5800 had rounded corners.

Yes, Nokia may have gone for a different design with the Lumia models, but so what - the point is, why should they be forced to do so? Indeed, perhaps they did so out of fear of litigation from Apple.

Plus when you consider the falling success of RIM, HTC and Nokia, compared to the amazing success of Samsung lately, I'm not convinced by the argument of "It's okay to not be allowed to use this basic design feature that existed years before Apple came to the party late, those other companies are doing just fine, honest!"

Silver badge

Shame on you Apple

It took me a while to find the link, and I use the internet all day long (almost true, I browse at work when I am meant to be doing something productive.0

I digress, but then again so do Apple, it's as if they are sticking two fingers up at the UK courts. The last paragraph has me "A U.S. jury also found Samsung guilty of infringing on Apple's design and utility patents, awarding over one billion U.S. dollars in damages to Apple Inc." Which is in the process of appeal (they failed to add)

And this, which totally gets me spitting "So while the U.K. court did not find Samsung guilty of infringement, other courts have recognized that in the course of creating its Galaxy tablet, Samsung willfully copied Apple's far more popular iPad."

Re: Shame on you Apple

What I thought especially took the piss in the statement was :

"A U.S. jury also found Samsung guilty of infringing on Apple's design and utility patents, awarding over one billion U.S. dollars in damages to Apple Inc"

Since even that jury didn't find the tab infringing at all, and as such the injunction on it was lifted. This is totally irrelevant spin (or reality distortion). Not that I expect that result to stand at all come Dec.

Silver badge

How big is the model in the photo?

How big a hand does the model holding the iThing mini in the photo have? I can comfortably hold my Nexus 7 like that, but I'm a 6'2" bloke with pretty big hands. The Mini is 16mm wider than the Nexus 7, so I suspect I couldn't hold it comfortably like that - the bod holding it must be a giant! And I think it'll be very difficult for someone with smallish, normal hands to hold it that way.

Naughty, naughty Apple, suggesting it's minier than it actually is.

Re: How big is the model in the photo?

Good point - particularly ridiculous when we consider that Apple's marketing for the iphone 4SS, and the claim by Apple fans, is that it's just right to hold one handed. So 4" is just right for everyone to hold one handed - and so is 8"?!

Silver badge

I gave up looking for the long this morning and typed Samsung into the search box

Even then i wasn't sure this was the court ordered document

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017