back to article Final decision by Home Sec on McKinnon extradition due today

The Home Secretary is expected to announce whether or not the government will block Gary McKinnon's US extradition in Parliament today. Theresa May is due to deliver a decision on whether the Scottish sysadmin's medical problems as an Asperger's Syndrome sufferer are sufficiently severe to block extradition. A possible appeal …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. David Neil

Re: Hacker, yes. Extradite, no

I've got a shitty lock on my front door, does that mean it's my own fault I got it kicked in and someone defaced my house? Perhaps

Does taht mean the people who did it get away with no punishment? Nope

1. Gio Ciampa

Re: Hacker, yes. Extradite, no

Who is saying anything about no punishment? He should have been tried here years ago, and that would have ended the matter.

If you don't fix your shitty locks after the event, that isn't the intruder's fault, is it?

1. Anonymous C0ward

The witnesses are located in the USA, the evidence is located in the USA

And if they value the concept of a fair trial they should bring it over here. I'm of the opinion that justice should *never* be done in secret, without exception.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Theresa May, Theresa May not

I hope she says no to extradition.

I think he's suffered more than enough, given the non-violent nature of his 'offense'.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Theresa May, Theresa May not

I hope they stop picking on the bankers given the non-violent nature of their "offence"

1. Gr0nk

Re: Theresa May, Theresa May not

Right, because the bankers have suffered, haven't they. Prat.

2. chipxtreme
    WTF?

I personally hope he doesn't get extradited because he committed a crime in the UK so deserves to be tried here using UK laws. However saying that all this can't be extradited from health reasons we have heard from him and in the case of the hook handed sub-human are just ridiculous. If you commit a crime you deserve the consequences.

3. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Coat

Nope

time for another appeal to a court to block it and lets wait another 7 yrs before anything is decided..

Heck its getting like the old death row joke

"sir sir, the death row prisoners are dying before we can execute them"

"What of?"

"Old age"

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

this is a farce

The politicians and police and security forces asked for all these powers due to 'terrorism', parliament drafted in no protections whatsoever against abuse (i.e. must be clear evidence of terrorist link) and then sat by and watched as the new powers were abused by all who had them to spy on and harass the public. You cannot take a picture in the street without some copper demanding your camera.

I doubt Teresa May has any more balls than Blair, they're both busy selling the UK down the river and we're now little different to the kind of right-wing puppet regimes the CIA operated in central and south america.

5. Stratman

BREAKING NEWS

No extradition!!!!!!

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: BREAKING NEWS

The interesting bit will be whether the US decides to go for a trial int he UK.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Re: BREAKING NEWS

Can they? Would be interesting.

Anyway, I'm glad they actually decided. As I said before, I had mixed feelings about this case, but the decision is well motivated, and this decision has at least solid legal grounds.

I also like it that they are now discussing that no other case should never take this long again - what I do NOT like is that the independent review seeks to take the decision power away from the Home Secretary to bar extradition on the grounds of Human Rights. I'm not sure that is a sensible and humane idea.

6. David 45

Blocked

Been blocked http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19968973

Now all they need to do is sort out the blatant injustice of approving Richard O'Dwyer's totally unjustified extradition.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like