back to article Brighton marathon munchers banned from all-you-can-eat diner

A couple of voracious Brighton blokes have been banned for life from an all-you-can-eat Mongolian barbecue chow-house - after repeated attacks on the restaurant's buffet station threatened to eat the owner out of business. For two years, George Dalmon and Andy Miles, both 26, enthusiastically took up GOBi's offer to "repeat as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Re: Service Charges generasly

I'm staring at the pump for my lager of choice thinking I could have served myself ten times over by now.

I'd pay a service charge TO DO IT MYSELF!

You'd also need a personal licence which will set you back a few hundred quid.

Re: @mark 63

Please get me a job at your place...in CZ... :D

Anonymous Coward

Another year

Just give them another year or so and they will not be able to get through the doors!!! Sorted!

Silver badge
Joke

Re: Another year

Or offer them one more wafer-thin mint

Windows

"All you can eat"

Did the owner used to be in marketing for a broadband company?

It's in the owner's right to ban people from his restaurant. The other customers will have to decide for themselves whether this affects their own decision to keep going there or not.

Personally, I think all-you-can-eat places need to take into account that a certain percentage of customers will eat more than what they pay for.

However, overeating at an all-you-can-eat and at the same time only getting water to drink feels... rude. Especially if you end up actually emptying the buffet. I can't think of any excuse for that. I can image that the place might just have a small buffet, but in that case I'd just go somewhere else rather than annoying the other customers.

Go

"Personally, I think all-you-can-eat places need to take into account that a certain percentage of customers will eat more than what they pay for."

I'm sure they do. They always make a loss on me, for instance!

"However, overeating at an all-you-can-eat and at the same time only getting water to drink feels... rude. Especially if you end up actually emptying the buffet."

AND not tipping. AND making it a regular haunt, to the point where staff clearly think "Oh, no; not those to tight-ass greedy bastards again."

heh

Rugby players...

I know of one chap round here (Rugby player too) who was offered his money back and begged not to come again. He even offered to buy two all you can eat buffet meals just for himself, and they still wouldnt let him continue!

Anybody posting a message supporting the porkers...

...should quote their own waist size.

Silver badge
Boffin

Re: Anybody posting a message supporting the porkers...

43yrs

19st 11lb

life expectency: 10 years.

Number of fucks given: 0

Next?

Happy

28"

33 yrs

8st 12lb

And they'd lose money on me too....

All you can eat.... the clue is in the offer.

Anonymous Coward

"19st 11lb"

MAN THE HARPOONS!

Facepalm

These places make money out of me every time i go in as i have 1 plate not very full either... But i still have to pay full price as im over 3ft!!.....

Silver badge

Coward......

"Coward....."

Fair enough. MAN THE HARPOONS!

You have ruined your body. Your lack of self control is both hilarious and tragic. You're going to die early because you couldn't control your cake intake.

Seriously, how the fuck do you get to that weight without realising you have a problem? Have you never heard of moderation?

Incoming flimsy medical excuse in 3... 2... 1...

Silver badge
Boffin

Erm, you ARE aware i am 6feet 6 inches tall and and am also a weight lifter???

No? No, you didn't. YOU just assumed that i was a porker...

You would be a small snack for me and, more importantly, how i live MY life is NONE of your business.

Flange badger....

Silver badge

Somethat dissapointed to discover

this has nothing to do with Brightons reputation as a gay friendly town.

Anonymous Coward

Simple solution

Advertise the freaks as the main attraction during their all-you-can-eat-athon.

Maybe even have a mobile-app to alert potential customers of their presence.. (See.. IT angle :) )

Thumb Up

Re: Simple solution

"Come see Bottomless Pete - Nature's Cruelest Mistake"

</simpsons>

Happy

Re: Simple solution

Ha yes, that Simpsons episode was my first thought when I read this article! :)

"They spoil everything. We are supposed to be a buffet, but they eat everything out of the bowls before people can get there. We just can’t keep doing this."

This is the clue, I am going to guess they turn up early before everyone else, eat everything on the buffet and just keep eating whatever is put out. Plus knowing your average rugby player they will be aggressive, rude and be self important.

The owner has put up with it for two years to be fair, with them making no effort to buy anything else, etc, I suspect it has as much to do with the fact that other people couldnt eat/get to the buffet and were put off by these two, than them actually eating the food.

Pint

"Knowing the average rugby player"

I'm guessing you actually don't know any rugby players. The "average" rugby player is a reasonable man, they may make a mess occasionally but will clear it up before they leave, and pay for any breakages.

I'm not defending these guys (they sound like twats), but in many years of playing rugby I've come across very few twats amongst my team mates and opposition.

These guys clearly were not "average" rugby players (I believe it said "ex" rugby player anyway) as they were drinking water FFS!

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

Re: "Knowing the average rugby player"

What's wrong with water?

This does sound like Tesco complaining that some people come in and only buy bread and milk (loss leaders), or Ryan Air complaining that you always check-in online and only bring hand luggage.

If you don't want to to sell something, don't sell it. Don't have a sale and complain that people only bought items on sale.

Re: "Knowing the average rugby player"

Nothing wrong with water, just that most rugby players I know would rather be drinking beer with their dinner.

Silver badge
Boffin

How much does anyone really want?

I was at an all-you-eat type of place in Vancouver once and they had a cunning method of avoiding over-gluttony: you paid to start eating and you paid for anything left over at the end. While it wouldn't stop the rugby team munching your profits, it did make most folks focus on how much they actually wanted as opposed to how much they could have.

Re: How much does anyone really want?

Quite common and often notice is given of this policy on the menu.

Silver badge

Seen similar in Asia with all you can eat steamboat bbq.

I quite like the idea, you leave food you have taken on the plate they charge you a bit extra, stops you wasting food.

They never used to mind a bunch of hungry foreigners turning up and eating away over the course of a couple of hours or so and we used to eat a fair bit, however we also bought plenty of beer to wash it down, and we tipped well.

That's where the place makes up its costs for doing this in the drinks served, the tip means they are quite happy to see you each time you turn up as well.

I went to an all you can eat Seafood Restaurant in Dalian, China, where the drinks were also included in the price! Didn't go over the score though, being drunk in public is a no no in China.

Thumb Down

Whilst it is within the manager's right to refuse entry, there's a right way and a wrong way to do it.

Publicly humiliating customers mid-meal, whilst no doubt personally satisfying, isn't really a good PR move. Quietly telling them at the end of their meal that they are no longer welcome at the establishment in future would have been a better way of doing it.

I agree

The manager didn't need to do it like that and make an awkward or embarrassing situation.

Some customers eat a lot, some customers barely eat anything. The price should take that into account and balance itself out as a profit. I can't stand places that have an all-you-can-eat and the staff stare at you because you grabbed a couple extra hot wings or something.

I agree they have the right to turn a customer away but at least wait until they've finished the meal and just have a quiet word telling them not to come back.

FAIL

"Publicly humiliating customers mid-meal, whilst no doubt personally satisfying, isn't really a good PR move. Quietly telling them at the end of their meal that they are no longer welcome at the establishment in future would have been a better way of doing it."

You only have the aggrieved party's word on the situation, remember. The manager might well have acted exactly as you suggest.

Anonymous Coward

"Quietly telling them at the end of their meal that they are no longer welcome at the establishment in future would have been a better way of doing it."

This may not have been an option, if they were large, drunken, infantile rugby types, who were pissing off other customers.

Anonymous Coward

Saw their photos in the Telegraph

They may have been filling up at the BBQ, but they looked like they could afford to miss a few meals. Of course in a few years time the rest of us will have to pick up the bill for their triple bypass operations and their type 2 diabetes.

Coffee/keyboard

Re: Saw their photos in the Telegraph

That photo is fantastic.

I love the fact the photographer got them both to hold their stomachs, as if to say "... but I'm just soooo hungry. I'm waaaasting awaaaaay...."

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02357/eat_2357563b.jpg

FAIL

"Oh, we're so shocked that the manager DARED humiliate us in front of half a dozen other customers that we decided to humiliate ourselves and portray ourselves as fat, greedy, tight-wads in front of the entire NATION."

FAIL

... and of course, all the other places in the area now know what they look like, so can bar them from the outset!

Silver badge

Love the fact that the restaurant behind seems to be called GOB

Facepalm

"Love the fact that the restaurant behind seems to be called GOB"

Mongolian BBQ, remember...?

I'm guessing it's called 'Gobi'

"They are in such a hurry to beat everyone to the food they spoil everything"

This is why... If I had to put up with a pair of twats like them, I would stop going to the buffet too.

"suddenly the owner came to our table in front of all the customers and went absolutely mental."

I wonder if that was in response to yet another complaint... And do they have any independant witnesses?

Silver badge
WTF?

if (maxFood !== AllYouCanEat) {throw new LyingBastardException()}

Seriously, while I understand that this guy has a business, he should not have an all you can eat policy if he throws people out for eating too much.

When it sounds too good to be true ... I avoid all you can eat places because the quality of food there sucks biiiig time.

On a side note, I prefer my food cooked while I am waiting, not heated in a microwave oven - so I avoid restaurants with many different dishes on the menu.

Re: if (maxFood !== AllYouCanEat) {throw new LyingBastardException()}

" I prefer my food cooked while I am waiting"

Me too!

", not heated in a microwave oven - so I avoid restaurants with many different dishes on the menu."

So I avoid restaurants.

Silver badge

It does seem odd that many commentards seem to be supporting the owners promising "All you can eat" and failing to deliver on that promise, yet moan like hell when ISPs do the same.

I've never seen an "All you can eat" come with a fair usage policy and it seems unfair to apply one once you've taken up their unrestricted offer. I've never availed myself of such an offer but I've always been intrigued as to what the legal and/or contractual position is should I choose to. I imagine the correct time to say no is before saying "okay, start scoffing", before any contract is agreed.

Thumb Down

If you had a daily unlimited data contract, your ISP would be perfectly in their rights to stop selling them to you in future if they find you always use 10x as much data as the next customer.

FAIL

"On a side note, I prefer my food cooked while I am waiting, not heated in a microwave oven - so I avoid restaurants with many different dishes on the menu."

*words failing me*

You'd probably want to go to a Mongolian BBQ, then...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_barbecue

Boffin

" it seems unfair to apply one once you've taken up their unrestricted offer.... I imagine the correct time to say no is before saying "okay, start scoffing", before any contract is agreed."

A restaurant visit is an individual contract, if you want to look at it like that. One does not take out a contract for dozens of meals at a time. Just because I go in a restaurant once, I am not bound by terms and conditions on my next visit, nor obliged to make one.

The owner walked up to the table and said "You are banned" which is like saying "I don't wish to have any more contracts with you", or your landlord saying at the end of a lease period "I don't want another lease with you"

FAIL

Yep, it's basically a lie, very much like the so called 'Unlimited' broadband offered by many providers who then cap your speed for using it 'too much', obviously a different use of the word 'unlimited' that many are not familiar with.

FAIL

True, it's far easier to blame the user when you cannot manage a network for crap when you advertise that you can.

Joke

Homer Simpson special

Yarr, 'tis no man, 'tis a remorseless eating machine!

Mongolian BBQ restaurants

Went to one in Ealing Broadway many moons ago.

Essentially you get a bowl. Go to buffet and select meats (raw), veg, sauces etc. Take to someone with a big hot plate who cooks and serves in clean bowl. You eat and take bowl, refill and so on. So food is cooked fresh and it was very pleasant. Starters, drinks and puds help make up the price to keep profit and I'd guess price is set to balance out heavy eaters from the lighter.

That said it could be abused and sounds like it was in this case. If their appetites were such as to inconvenience other customers and they didn't buy the extras then there certainly seems to be a case to ban the pair.

Fair play to 'em

Invitation to treat and all that.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017