back to article McFlurry McMisdemeanour costs Welsh lass McJob

A 19-year-old Welsh lass has been relieved of her McJob after giving a fellow worker at the Llangunnor tentacle of the fast-food monolith an extra dose of chocolate pieces on a McFlurry. "Exceptional" employee Sarah Finch, of Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire, was given her McMarching orders after responding to a colleague's request …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Less than 2 years

Employed less than 2 years so no such thing as unfair dismissal. I wonder how much "extra" she put on, most likely a lot.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Less than 2 years

YANAL & IANAL But ...

http://business.wales.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1073793719&site=230&type=RESOURCES

"Eligibility to claim unfair dismissal" [...] ...

"For employees in employment before 6 April 2012 the qualifying period is unchanged at one year. The right to request a written reason for dismissal is unchanged at one year. "

Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: most likely a lot.

Of course that's the most likely amount, otherwise her manager must be a sanctimonious jobsworth dickhead, and I can't imagine you can get far in management if you're one of those....

Anonymous Coward

...her manager must be a sanctimonious jobsworth dickhead, and I can't imagine you can get far in management if you're one of those...

You've not worked in the civil service then I take it?

"You've not worked in the civil service then I take it?"

I was going to say that, except that in my experience it also applies to the private sector. In just about every company I have worked, while I wouldn't say being a total cock is an absolute prerequisite for a management position, I don't think being one has done any of my past managers' career prospects much harm.

Silver badge

This is actually been an object of scientific studies... basically, those in management aren't more competent, they just believe they are. More competent people are likely to underestimate their own abilities, incompetent people don't know enough to realise that they don't know much.

The study basically confirmed Bertrand Russell's observation that "The ignorant are cocksure whilst the intelligent are full of doubt"

Mushroom

McAbusive much?

Seems to me we have a McAbuse of employees going on here. This sounds like sick and abusive behavior on the employers part. I will NEVER support any organization with that kind of behavior and attitude. No McBusiness from me...

WTF?

If that's the case, thank god the stores I worked in during the formative years of my employment career didn't have this policy.

It was not uncommon for staff, from lowly paid oiks to store managers to give extra burgers, fries, drinks and desserts to staff and friends of staff on a regular basis.

As to the flurrys, the chocolate is all Cadburys stuff and as most will be aware the boxes are 1 1/2 kg (from memory, may have changed in the last 10 years) and cost about £3 a box. If the employee had put extra ice-cream (or the frozen sundae mix they use) I can see them having a point, but the extra topping is akin to getting extra sauce in your burger.

TRT
Silver badge

Urgh...

I've heard the rumours about the extra-special sauce you get at some fast food outlets.

Anonymous Coward

McThief.

[quote]If that's the case, thank god the stores I worked in during the formative years of my employment career didn't have this policy.

It was not uncommon for staff, from lowly paid oiks to store managers to give extra burgers, fries, drinks and desserts to staff and friends of staff on a regular basis.

[/quote]

When I were a lad.. and knew someone in the local McD's I used to order small fries and a drink and then be given large fries, large coke, apple pie, big mac and a couple of burgers. My friend was a hardcore McThief.

This case is VERY trivial.

In honour of the famous quaker chocolate factory:

There was a girl from Kidwelly

Who worked at the local Muckdelli

The job was a cinch to Exceptional Finch

But they sacked her because they are a bunch of arseholes that sell shit that includes chocolate sprinkles from a supplier that only sprinkled their production lines with "very small amounts" of toilet seepage once -for an unknown length of time, to idiots.

Anonymous Coward

Re: McThief.

When I was a student, a friend and I used to be in the habit of just turning up at packing up time and asking for free food about to be chucked. Didn't know anyone there personally and never worked there. Got it most of the time too. Wouldn't do it now though, it makes you go spotty.

Re: McThief.

Yes, about 20 years ago my sister's friends got closing-time extras. Usually they would get a double of anything they bought that had spares going to be wasted.

This boss is an arse and will get his just desserts in court. (with extra topping if I had anything to do with it)

Anonymous Coward

Simple answer...

...create a boycott.

get your "friends" on Facebook to refuse to eat there and let the store know that.

Even better,go in order the food, then before payment, say you've changed your mind as the goods don't match the displays and leave.

Anonymous Coward

McDonalds ?

You have to pay *before* they start serving you.

Might work at a drive through though. Order food, then drive off just as they bring it to the window.

Silver badge
Happy

You're on!

I'll never eat there again anymore. This should be easy, considering I live in a different country.

Anonymous Coward

Re: McDonalds ?

It was a long time ago that i worked there, but back then it was drilled into you that you could be getting the order together while the customer finds the money in their pockets.

Anonymous Coward

Re: McDonalds ?

"Might work at a drive through though"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27NX_MMIkLY

What gets me about this is the sheer randomness of it all. Any normal person could get sacked for something similar. Could they not just have taken her aside and told her not to put so much on the next time? The employee keeps her job and the company keeps their competent member of staff.

Does anybody ever get sacked for being just plain shit at their jobs these days?

TRT
Silver badge

I think it shows that...

not only is her boss a nasty human being, but is also pretty ineffective at being a manager. I mean, all that expense of training, uniform, HR etc. just to fire her when a formal warning would have served as well.

Should fire HIM for the waste.

Anonymous Coward

Staff turnover

McD's have a policy (probably unofficial) that staff turnover is kept high as it is cheaper to keep training staff at the bottom of the tree than to increase their pay as they gain experience. My missus was a store manager for 6-7 years and only kept those who were likely to go on to the Management courses.

Silver badge

I'm surprised the co-worker didn't get sacked for coercion.

What I want to know, is how did the management find out that "too much" chocolate had been added?

Unhappy

Does anybody ever get sacked for being just plain shit at their jobs these days?

No.

//Evidence is right in front of you, so to speak.

TRT
Silver badge

How did the management find out that "too much" chocolate had been added?

Webcams in the serving spoons.... I was RIGHT!

Stop

What the fu..

Is it legal to pay someone £180 a week? Sounds well below the minimum wage to me.

TRT
Silver badge

Re: What the fu..

Depends on how many hours she worked.

FAIL

According to my math, she's being paid over the minimum wage.

At 19, her minumum wage is £4.98. As she works between 30 and 35 hours a week, she would be earning £174.30 max if she was on minimum wage. Ergo, she must be on more than that if her average is £180.

The national minimum wage (NMW) for a 19-year old is £4.98 per hour. So doing 30-35 hours per week would indicate a minimum weekly wage of somewhere between £149.40 and £174.30.

Assuming she was working an average of 32.5 hours, and receiving £180 per week, that puts the rate at roughly £5.50ph, or about 10% higher than NMW.

Of course, if she were a little older, and entitled to the full "adult" rate of £6.08 per hour, then £180pw for 30-35 hours would indeed be below NMW.

(the NMW rates are being revised very slightly on October 1)

WTF?

Between the age of 18 and 20 the minimum wage is £4.98 against the minimum wage for 21 and over being £6.08. Personally I think this is age discrimination. It means that 2 people doing exactly the same job but different age get paid different rates.

I experienced this a long time ago when I was a 16 year old summer vacation worker and I was working with an 18 year old doing the same things. I found out and pointed it out to the boss who was genuinely mystified why I should be upset!!

@VinnyR

It's supposedly because the younger you are, the less productive you are supposed to be. On average, I think that is true (more experience) but for idiot work it surely doesn't make any difference.

Personally, fuck working for £4.98 per hour. I would have to be desperate, especially if I could get sacked at random and thereby get an 'adverse employment history'.

Silver badge

Re: @VinnyR

I've a vague memory that it was about getting younger people into employment. If it costs less to employ a youngun then that's more attractive to some businesses (those that only care about how much they pay out). The idea presumably being that once you've got a foot in the door, you either make a career of it or at least have some experience behind you when you apply for other jobs.

Course, I could be talking shite.. I can't really be bothered to look it up though

You should apply for a job at any supermarket or their warehouse and go to the interview. It is a disgrace.

I am not just sayin that. I went to a warehouse in Cheshire making meat products for Morrisons -a "family firm".

It was a prison as well as a con.

I am not larding it on. It is just so.

Anonymous Coward

I have a friend, recently divorced who got a job at Sainsburys. They are worked the exact hours as to get the mandatory 15mins break but if they worked a few minutes longer would be entitled to a 30min break.

That 15mins break is from the time they clock off the till and then up to the canteen vending machine, which is normally empty, so back down to the shop floor to get food, queue up like everyone else, then back up to the canteen to eat it... then back down to the till again to clock in.. all in the space of 15mins.

So next time you think the bird on the till looks hacked off, now you know why.... She has since quit Sainsburys....

In the old days companies had respect for their staff but now its all about the profit, who is to blame? WalMarts influence/race to the bottom, government policy or ?

"Personally I think this is age discrimination. It means that 2 people doing exactly the same job but different age get paid different rates."

Well, no. What it means is that a bad employer can get away with paying someone who's 19 less than the legal minimum would have been for someone who is over 21, but, most employers don't pay the bare minimum wage.

I do agree though that it's shocking that someone can get paid £200 for a full week's work (for me, a "full week" on my employment contract is 40 hours, though, I work a lot more than that).

Anonymous Coward

Reminds me of the first job I had out of university, which was at a cheque processing facility for one of the high street banks. The main hall held dozens of machines where operators keyed in the account number to be credited along with the amount as each cheque whizzed past them, these numbers were then printed onto the cheques using magnetic ink. The boxes of cheques would then be loaded into a huge machine that would read the numbers in order to populate batch jobs.

The operators were mostly housewifes, plus a few back office staff from high street branches who had been demoted to this job as an alternative to redundancy. They were allowed a fifteen minute break, which started from the moment they logged off their machine and ended the moment they logged back on. It wasn't actually possible to have a hot drink, since the canteen coffee machine produced scaldingly hot beverages that wouldn't cool down to a drinkable temperature in time. Any visits to the toilet had to be taken in these breaks as well, and if an operator dared to got to the loo outside of their fifteen minute break it was zealously recorded in their personnel file by the managers.

the only relief from the tedium was when a staple or paper clip "accidentally" got into the printing machines or the massive processing machine. The latter would come to a halt with a satisfying crash, followed by the sound of a klaxon and rotating yellow lights.

Anonymous Coward

"In the old days companies had respect for their staff but now its all about the profit, who is to blame? WalMarts influence/race to the bottom, government policy or ?"

you mean like when they use to lock the gate to the factory or pit as soon as the whistle blew to prevent anyone from arriving late? Treated you right in the old days, didnt they?

Silver badge
Stop

Jesus, I remember getting £90 a week as an infantryman. "Board and lodgings" were a barracks though, many bedsits ive lived in have been better.

Still. She wasnt claiming dole and was working. After winning the tribunal she will be entitled to benefits.

Joke

Did her a McFavour

On a similar note, my mate Dave got fired from the dodgems

He's now doing them f'unfair dismissal

Anonymous Coward

Re: Did her a McFavour

I know someone who was caught stealing potato bags. He was sacked.

I know someone at the munitions factory who was caught sleeping in a cannon. He was fired.

I know someone who kept turning up to the trapeze hungover. He was let go.

I know someone who took illegal copied of the payroll software. He was paid off.

I know someone who wrote the iOS6 Maps apps. He lost his job.

I know someone who was dismissed as a magistrate of the Classical Roman Republic. He's taking them to tribunal.

I know someone who engineered the 2nd failsafe system on an aircraft. He was made redundant.

I know someone who failed to clear the autumnal paths. They got gardening leaves.

I know someone who worked in corporate logistics. He cleared his desk.

Something something bacon slicer something something.

Silver badge
Facepalm

dis-arsed-her?

Facepalm

I used to work at McD

It was my first job... the McFlurry chocolate was roughly dosed by the dispenser (similarly to an optic in a pub).

Giving extra choc to favoured customers/employees was quite common, along with extra fudge in the sundaes, 'special' burgers with an extra patty etc. The standard response from management was to get an unofficial bollocking, unless someone was really taking the piss and noticeably doing it regularly, in which case further action would be taken.

I was once collared helping myself to a sundae consisting mostly of chocolate sauce, instead of the 1cm at the bottom of the cup a regulation single pump of the dispenser would give you. It lead only to a 'quiet word' from the shift manager.

I wonder if there's more involved in this case, eg a pattern of regular 'bad employee' behaviour (whatever that might be), each instance just below the threshold for 'doing something' and this case providing the excuse for a sacking; or whether the manager involved is just a power crazed arse. We shall never know.

Gold badge

Re: I used to work at McD

We shall never know

We will, I think, because to make a dismissal stick you need to have good grounds. Just waving an employee manual around and call it the Bible is not going to help in court, which tends to be more sympathetic to the employee (with good reason, since they tend to be the weaker party).

What's more, the publicity surrounding this case is likely to focus on the fact that McD is stingy with the nice stuff - all extra brand damage that the manager could have foreseen. I fully suspect this is going to be a doorstop settlement - and offer to settle just when she is about to walk into court. McD cannot afford this.

Gold badge
Coat

Re: I used to work at McD

"...waving an employee manual around and call it the Bible..."

I accuse you of unfair diss-missal.

Anonymous Coward

de minimis

WTF?

Wasted talent

I found it quite amusing that her command of English was clearly far greater than her superior.

Happy

Re: Wasted talent

and that *despite* her UK university education.

>I found it quite amusing that her command of English was clearly far greater than her superior.

and math, or at least statistics.

ttfn

Trollface

"command of English" ......

..... "math"

Maths <- S.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018