back to article iPhone 5 Lightning cables sticking in USB ports

Owners of the new iPhone 5 are reporting a sticky problem with the new "Lightning" cable used to connect their handsets to power sources or computers sticking in USB sockets. Lightning is Apple's replacement for its 30-pin connector and terminates in a standard type A USB plug, as featured in USB memory sticks and pictured at …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

FAIL

Re: It's no really an issue is it?

You didn't read to the end of that post, did you?

"Apple makes you go to the shop and get one from their drawer."

Anonymous Coward

Re: It **IS** an "Issue"

"They even check cars these days, before they leave the factory"

And then they do the recall after thousand of models are fitted with the wong sized clutch or the brake pedal gets caught in the carpets or the steering wheel jams at full lock after 1000 miles or the airbag goes off after going over a speed-bump..

Quality control has never stopped things going wrong.

Happy

Re: It's no really an issue is it?

You haven't actually clicked any of the story links, have you? Peeps have had their Apple keyboard destroyed by this cable. And also things they keep calling 'wall warts', though I have absolutely no idea what those may be. Are some Fanbois plugging their shinies into hamsters out of mistake / curiosity? Or perhaps odd skin complaints caused by over-exposure to white product?

Mushroom

Who'd have thunk?

"Some posters say downward pressure, to angle the USB plug down a little, helps to withdraw it from the socket."

So in other words: Wiggle it. High-tech at it's finest!!!

Anonymous Coward

Re: Who'd have thunk?

imagine having to sign up to the Apple forum just to be told to wiggle it.

Silver badge
Facepalm

imagine having to sign up to the Apple forum just to be told to wiggle it

Show respect!

Remember we are talking of Lemmings Those furry creatures with strong legs who follow each other.

They are also known to sleep out every so often outside stores with pictures of nibbled fruit on the windows.

Silver badge

Re: Remember we are talking of Lemmings

Please correct your post!!!!

It should read:

Remember we are talking of iLemmings....

Perfect stooges for Samsung to ridicule (as in their recent ads).

Silver badge

duh

its obvious innit?

apple has altered the male usb connector 'just enough' to claim that its a different and 'new' product

now they will patent their 'new' usb end using their favorite sympathetic court of law

stand by to see them suing the ass off of every single manufacturer out their next year for making usb ends too similar to apples "original and innovative" proprietary design.

its what theyve done with everything else and its made them a fortune, why stop now?

Still

I'm sure it looks lovely and people will worship at your feet for owning such a beautiful cable, how are things in Shoreditch?

Anonymous Coward

The Independent online reports that there are also complaints about poor finish on some iPhone5 units.

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2012/09/25/iphone-5-users-reporting-manufacturing-faults-right-out-of-the-box/

Reports?

"The Independent online reports that there are also complaints about poor finish on some iPhone5 units."

I think 'reports' is a little charitable. The hack writes that "some customers" have complained about issues - but how many is 'some'? How widespread is the issue? Now, I have read forum posts that have referred to the sort of problems that he's referring to, so I know the reports are coming from somewhere, but the Indy hack provides no details about where he got his information from - speaking as an ex-hack myself, that's just shockingly bad. Would adding a link or two kill him? As I've a base cynical mind, I suspect that the reason that he gave a link to another Indy story only is to do with trying to drive the site's Web traffic.

Still, it doesn't really matter. The sheer mention of Apple will generate hits - to hell with actual reporting.

Silver badge
FAIL

Apple and connectors ...

a fatal combination.

USB connectors, bashed out by the millions and Apple gets it wrong?

More likely they have another adapter to sell? Even better, a reversible one, so their favourite type of person can't plug it in backwards.

Baa, baa.

Anonymous Coward

Oh well

Just get on ebay and buy a cheap Chinese knock-off cable with standard usb connectors.

Gimp

alas not

The lightning connector has a proprietary chip in it seemingly with the sole purpose of preventing cheap knock-offs

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/report-apples-lightning-connector-wont-work-without-unique-chip-1099441

Anonymous Coward

Re: alas not

I'll give it less than a month. Where are these things made again?

It's not protectionism! It's Innovation!

Anonymous Coward

Have you not thought that the chip serves a purpose? I doubt it is simply there for the sake of it. It is probably some sort of chip for backward compatibility.

Hmmmm...

I wonder how much an Apple USB to Rest-of-the-World Standard USB adaptor will cost?

Anonymous Coward

Vaseline

I found vaseline helped with mine. Goes in and out real easy now.

Silver badge
Joke

Re: Vaseline

"I found vaseline helped with mine. Goes in and out real easy now."

That may be so, but what does it have to do with Apple's connectors?

Re: Vaseline voides warranty

You need iLube. $19.95 per ml. It's made from unicorns.

Infidels

You're just holding it 'rong!

Anonymous Coward

Better headline : "Apple fans can't get it out"

that is all.

Megaphone

I love how "Apple had not responded to a request for comment at the time of publication."

Basically they see if there is a way they can side step their responsibilities, when at the end of the day they should just say we "are looking into it"

Just goes to show how little they respect the users of their technology.

This happens every time.

They show nothing but utter contempt for their customers when they refuse to make any kind of comment on issues like this.

Anonymous Coward

Re: This happens every time.

Why should they make a comment? What good would it do?

Better just to replace the faulty item and be done with it - which appears to be what they are doing.

Showing contempt would be NOT replacing the faulty item.

Re: This happens every time.

They are replacing the faulty item with another faulty item.

There's your contempt.

LPF
Meh

Maybe I'm being dense , but that articlke reads as if people are trying to put the lightling plug into a USB socket.

Anonymous Coward

iFile.

Coming soon, the iFile. You can file down those USB sockets as well as your finger tips for the new smaller iPad.

Anonymous Coward

Sheesh! What do they expect for $25.

FAIL

No big deal..

... You're just removing it wrong.

Anonymous Coward

Morons

The set of comments sets a new low in moronic banter (the one joke excluded)

FAIL

That's a rather serious design flaw.

Maybe they should have gone with a standard cable for their new product rather than "innovating" a new patented design.

Anonymous Coward

USB Patent

Apple have now patented the "Correct" USB design and are suing all the other manufactures that have very closely copping their design.

An Apple suit a day keeps the competition at bay.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

easy, just buy another cable then you can leave it plugged in. Its a feature.

Anonymous Coward

oh come on !

i think they are just trying to pull it out wrong !!!

Joke

Apple's Official Statement

Your pulling it out wrong

Bronze badge
Coat

Oblig.

You're just inserting it wrong.

Followed by:

That's what she said.

Thumb Down

Maybe its caught on the pips

Anonymous Coward

That'll be

That precision engineering Sir Jonathon Ive (or Jony Ive as it says on the video) waxes lyrical about.

It'll be fixed in iPhone 6 that is oh so much better than that iPhone 5 we launched last year as this one is made from pure diamond.

That'll be 900 quid please.

AC flameproof mask and coat donned to avoid the fanboi flames.

Coat

Just don't charge it that way!

I think we all know the correct Apple response to this should be:

Just don't charge it that way.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017