back to article EE screams UK iPhone 4G exclusive, rest of pack sobs quietly

Only EE (formerly called Everything Everywhere) will be able to offer islands of 4G connectivity to the 4G-capable iPhone 5 when it arrives in the UK. The Apple smartphone will be available from every network operator, but two - O2 and Vodafone - will never be able to give the phone the fastest possible mobile broadband. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surely with 4G operators are going have to significantly 'up' their bandwidth allowances as people do more with their phones... but that probably means more cost to us.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Most of the areas that will get 4G from EE probably already have generally good 3.5/3.75/4G in the form of HSUPA / HSPA+ so although LTE sounds sexy to techies the average punter it may not make much difference in real life.

3. MrXavia
    FAIL

Who needs 4G? I find three's network fast enough, but I would love better coverage... All I see happening is 4G being in the big cities and the rural areas STILL have bad coverage.....

Expand the 4G to the no G areas first please!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not getting one

I change my phone, on average, every two years. My last was a Nexus One and my current is an iPhone 4S. I gave up on my Nexus when Google ended OS upgrades to the device and it began to randomly freeze while carried in my pocket. I ended up using a feature phone for a while before getting an iPhone. The iDevice recently became something of a family need so my choice was somewhat limited. 'nuff said. FWIW, my data usage is low as well, with only 19MB used over the last week on my phone. I must admit that there are times when I wonder why I have a smartphone.

The only device I will definitely upgrade will be my two year old 4th gen iPod Touch. It has a tendency to slow down significantly when the audio is running. I'm hoping that the new revision, with the faster A5 CPU, will fix that problem. I may also get an Android eReader as well, a Kobo Arc with ICS. The Kindle Fire & Nooks are not available here.

5. Camilla Smythe Silver badge

Mr Peanut Man Says Yes!

LandLine

Ring Ring

'Hello.'

'Can I speak to other person?'

'Not here at the moment. Can I take a message?'

'When will other person be back?'

'Don't know. Can I take a message?'

'Perhaps other person will be back soon. What time would that be?'

'Don't know. Can I take a message and get them to call you back?'

'Do they have their Mobile on them?

'Don't know. Try ringing it....'

'Do you have their Mobile Number?'

'Just a moment.'

'Arghh Arghh I am bathed in strange radiation. It is burning me! My body is dissolving!'

'Welcome to Geolocation, your Phone's GPS and Orbital Laser Weapons.'

'You could have told me to Fuck Off. Please turn it off. My Penis is disappearing.'

'Sorry about that. I'm too polite. Computer says, click, ETH08 unplugged. Laser Satellite Connection Down.'

'My eyes! My Eyes!'

'Can I take a message?'

-

-

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Erm does this mean that Vodafone or O2 will not bother bidding for the spectrum and just buy 3?

7. Mr Stuffy
    Linux

Sheep Tax

Let's see......

Restricted competition for new 4g Network.......

Shiney new FanBoi fodder.......

New connector......

Kerching!

8. Tony Paulazzo
    Happy

Re: Sheep Tax

Connector adaptors dollar to pound sign switcheroo

Apple headphones with holes 20 years in the making

Kerching kerching

9. James Body 1
    Holmes

1800 MHz Spectrum for 2G and 4G use

"The version of the iPhone 5 on UK shelves will support LTE at 1800MHz, ideal for EE which owns the whole band and for Three which is in the process of acquiring a chunk"

EE do not quite own the whole 1800 MHz band......

The actual allocation of spectrum in the DCS 1800 band is currently as follows:

- 5.8 MHz (x 2) - Vodafone

- 5.8 MHz (x2) - Telefonica O2

- 30 MHz (x2) - T-Mobile (now EE)

- 30 MHz (x2) - Orange (now EE)

- 3.3 MHz (x2) - Ex DECT Guard band spectrum licenced to 10 assorted operators for low power GSM use.

So - EE currently hold some 60 MHz of paired spectrum, of which they have agreed to sell 15 MHz to 3UK.

The remaining 45 MHz will have to support both the existing 2G traffic load of Orange and T-Mobile (together with other MVNO and assorted roaming traffic - including 3UK and Virgin Mobile) - plus the new LTE traffic component. I think that this lump of spectrum is going to be extremely busy in the near future - particularly in town!

10. Graham 25
    WTF?

Anyone got a decent table which clarifies this ?

Seems ideal for a diagram with frequencies on one axis, and operators on another with phone capability mapped out on the area. I'm just confused ....

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018