back to article Broadband minister's fibre cabinet gripe snub sparks revolt

City of Westminster councillors are outraged by the new broadband minister's decision to cut red tape and hasten the arrival of on-street fibre-optic cable cabinets. The bureaucracy-slashing move means telcos can install faster broadband connections without approval from local councils, which can prevent the placing of large …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Seriously?

We could do with a few more councillors like you around here :-)

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: Seriously?

So stand for election!

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The trouble is this seems to be an overreaction to perceived NIMBYism that can easily go too far the other way. (It's almost a Daily Mail style reaction to an apparent Daily Mail problem.)

Most of the time, replacing an old style with a new style won't cause a problem, but there are cases when planning law can actually protect people's quality of life.

They wanted to swap an old one for a new on a street near me. The old one was at 45 degrees across the corner where the two streets met. Because the new one was larger, instead of hugging the wall it would have stuck out into the pavent, leaving insuficient pace to get a wheelchair or buggy past. And this was beside a nunnery that cared for the elderly and infirm, and on the same street as a maternity hospital.

The council got them to move it round the corner - about 6 feet. You see, not every complaint is pure NIMBYism.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sounds like it to me.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@ AC

You may not be intelligent enough to care about anybody else but that does not mean you should be allowed to do whatever you please.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@ "Sounds like it to me."

You probably don't appreciate that NIMBY stands for Not In My Back Yard. As the cabinet ended up in exactly the same 'back yard' as originally proposed, that's clearly not the issue here - it was a case of a community looking out for each other, rather than trying to selfishly protect property prices.

At least I hope that's the reason for your comment. Of course you could just think that BT saving a few quid and getting your 24mbps broadband a week or two earlier is more important than the quality of life of those less fortunate than yourself. Which is also known as being a [censored].

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Sounds like it to me."

I think you've just proved the original AC's point. Planning permission is needed to protect other people from uncaring morons like you.

2. Robert Cunningham

Lets give westminster council something to really do for a living.

Since Westminster (bubble) council has not much serious business on its hands, can we not site an incineration plant or new breed of nuclear reactor there ?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

STUFF THE NIMBY's!

Bring Fibre to my street now! The far too posh to be worthwhile shoudl be shunned and roll out broadband to those wnat/need it.

The NIMBY's can stay stuck with dial up.

1. Richard Morris
      Stop

RE: STUFF THE NIMBY's!

I think you forgot to put the DACS on their line too!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: RE: STUFF THE NIMBY's!

What item that belongs to the NIMBY are you instructing us to stuff?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Most of Westminster is a dump, from what I've seen. This isn't Kensington & Chelsea we're talking about.

The main problem with these cabinets, IME, is that they frequently get vandalised either by graffiti or by being ripped open. Then, I'd agree, they become unsightly.

What do these people do if someone in their street buys a yellow car?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

An inconspicuous green cabinet is nothing compared to the rubbish, freakXfreaks’, the usual detritus and the scruffs who live on the street.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@ Obviously a fool

If the area in which you live is really so disgusting, why don't you move to somewhere nicer?

5. Alain Moran

Simple solution

Dig up their roads and bury the boxes ... not only will this require their street to be closed for a week or so while a hole big enough can be dug so that engineers will have access, but will also hide the boxes and allow the telco's to add a surcharge to their bills to pay for the extra work.

No doubt when they realise that it will not only inconvenience them but also put them out of pocket then they may change their tune ;)

1. KroSha
      Devil

Re: Simple solution

Nice, but they should write to every person that connects to that box and inform them that, because of the objection raised by Mr. Dawlish at no.7, their bill will be an extra £15 per month forever.

See how many objections they get then!

6. Marty

work in partnership.... dont make me laugh.....

"It is more important that councils work in partnership with broadband companies to locate infrastructure sensibly."

It depends on your standpoint, For the broadband company, ascetics is of least concern, (unless apple decide to go into broadband) whereas its the home owners who object, and as they vote for the councilors, they take up the battle.

The thing is, its all about compromise. as far as the home owners are concerned, they will compromise as long as the result is not outside their house, then they have to compromise with the next door neighbour.....

as its not actually installed on the residents property then unless its blocking access to their property then they can just STFU.

The best way forward is to canvas the local area of where the cabinet CAN be placed to see if they can find someone that will not object to it outside their house. Even go to the point of offering free or discounted Broadband to the current occupant. If they cant find a willing resident, then the site that has the least % of footprint to pavement ratio should be used.. Next thing is that it needs to be sited in such away that it does not cause an obstruction to pedestrians. If BT can do this autonomously then let them get on with it.

7. John McCallum

"If they cant find a willing resident, then the site that has the least % of footprint to pavement ratio should be used.. "I think that is what these councils want but the percentage is 0%,and the only way to do that is to recess them in to a wall Expensive!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NIMBY ALERT

I have a green box right outside my house. do I give a shit and cry like a bitch to my MP?

Nope - I'm blessed with a cracking 40/10 connection thats rock solid as the lines SNR is cracking and had no downtime or slowdown since install.

green boxes for everyone!!! :)

9. James 100

In my area, the new Infinity cabinet is almost identical to the old analogue one 20 feet away that it connects to, apart from having fresher paint (obviously) and pointy rather than rounded corners (Apple patent?), plus the little vent grilles. (I think the locking mechanism's different too, but I've seen both styles on the analogue patch cabinets too.)

For goodness' sake, BT has been installing virtually identical cabinets across the UK for decades now for analogue service, Virgin installed bigger but very similar ones at the end of my street years ago for cable. In fact, by definition these FTTC cabinets are being installed near to and connected to existing green street cabinets - do these councils want those removed too, depriving their subjects of phone service?!

10. David 45

You want speed, already?

Ah yes. Typical NIMBY. They all want speed but don't want the gear that provides it or to bear the cost of alternative locations, like an underground cable joint-box, which would be my suggestion. Slap a surcharge on these folk, if they want super-fast broadband.

11. Andrew Jones 2

"Residents expect councils to protect their homes and make neighbourhoods nice places to live, and planning regulations exist to do just that. The drive to meet broadband targets shouldn't force poorly thought out knee-jerk measures that spoil local environments and needlessly damage roads. Government needs to encourage providers to work together to make better use of existing ducts and poles, rather than duplicating infrastructure."

Yes... because the existing regulations are not slowing down the roll out at all are they.....

Interestingly - I see some talk that having a box outside your house can lower your house price - but I tend to find that having availability to high speed broadband these days - actually increases the house price. It's like any other local amenity - a house that does not have access to electricity or gas or water - lowers it's market value. While high speed and in fact just broadband in general is not as far as I am aware classed as an amenity - it does in fact have a bearing on the house value.

12. JaitcH
    WTF?

Broadband Wiring Can be Simpler than Cable TV

North America puts it channel selection in equipment within a house whilst many European systems put the channel switching systems outside on the street.

Fibre optic cable is simply the conduit through which signals flow and the controlling equipment is within the 'exchange' or switch building.

This means very infrequent access is required to broadband fibre cable and therefore simple 'holes in the ground' are quite adequate.

A perfectly acceptable underground chamber can be seen at: < http://www.areco.co.uk/images/access-boxes.jpg >.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019