back to article Why is the iPhone so successful? 'Cause people love 'em

Apple's iPhone may have its detractors, but they don't appear to include many folks who actually own one – yet another survey has shown that Apple's überpopular handset is beloved by a strong percentage of its users. "For the eighth consecutive study, Apple ranks highest among manufacturers of smartphones in customer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Re: Customer satisfaction......

I'm not sure I'm understanding this.

"If you want the alarm to wake you up you have to leave it switched on all night. There's no light to spoil the 'beauty' of the design, but then you've no idea if you have any messages unless you check."

An alarm has to be switched on otherwise it wouldn't work. If you mean he phone has to be switched on - then yes it has Just like my clock-radio has to be switched on - it's an electrical device.

If you mean you have to have the screen lit up - then that is plain wrong.

My iPhone is now my alarm-clock. I set it by selecting one a several preset I have already created and then I switch it off using the power button (Not completely offf (se above) but just off witch a single press so that it goes dark. It will still ring if someone phones. it will still go bong if an email comes in and it will still warble when a text arrives. - often I hear those before the alarm goes off in the morning!

How would you know on any other phone if you had messages unless you check? - you get an audible of some sort then you look at the phone - you still have to go to it or pick it up to read them - the phone won't come to you - unless Android means something completly different.

Anonymous Coward

Re: @JEDIDIAH

Ah yes, But you're the one who needs to tell everyone else they are wrong.

Thumb Down

Re: but I thought I just read that Samsung sells more phones than Apple.

You obviosly haven't seen an Apple wholesale price list.

Anonymous Coward

OK People buy iPhone because they don't like them.

Doesn't really work does it?

@AC 01:38 GMT Re: but I thought I just read that Samsung sells more phones than Apple.

...because they believed the people who said it was good... and then found their music is locked, the apps are limited, they have found the existing model a bit cramped...and there is little or NO upgrade path...

How about it, Apple??? why not an 'economy' model, a 'power user', model, a 'HD multimedia/ HIFI nut' model, a 'slimline' model, a 'photo expert' model????

These are provided by other manufacturers, why cannot apple do this?? If Nokia had not made such *really* bad decisions in the past year, and embraced Linux, big resolutions and screens, we would be talking about them, not samsung and android....

FAIL

I went to that site and stopped reading when I got to

"Car buyers know that depreciation matters. Some cars lose much of their value the second you drive them off the lot. Others cars you can sell after a few years and recoup most of your initial payment. Cars with high resale value have strong demand, high reliability, and happy owners. A high resale value is the market telling you, “this is a good car.”"

Because many of the prestige cars (like those in the £60K bracket) often have a resale value of £15K or less when second hand at 3 years old.

So anyone comparing the economics of cars to the economics of phones should be avoided.

Anonymous Coward

"The iPhone simply has a proportionately higher resale value than any Android phone period."

This is true but it simply underlines how lacking in discernment Apple users actually are; they'll even pay over the odds for old tat, not just new underpowered overpriced tat.

There is no reason to buy Apple products except fashion. As products, usable reliable dependable products that have a purpose they fail across the board.

If they were half the price they would be about the right price but ironically they'd sell less well.

Silver badge
Happy

@Ivan Headache

Granted a phone is never really off but just running another program, albeit a pretty boring one (display a battery charge icon if it's charging), but if you turn Symbian phones 'off' you still get alarms and calendar events and accepting them will turn the phone 'on'. You may not want to be woken up by spam messages or calls at 4am.

A notification light somewhere on the phone tells you if there's a message or missed call waiting to be read. You don't have touch the screen to check if you've been out the room.

See what wonderful options await those who wonder outside Apple's walled garden?

Silver badge

Re: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE EL REG

A bit unfair locking out most iPhone users?

Anonymous Coward

"If you mean he phone has to be switched on - then yes it has Just like my clock-radio has to be switched on - it's an electrical device."

The Real Time Clock(RTC) block of most mobile SoC devices is always-on.

In many phones, the RTC block was used to wake the whole phone if an alarm or calendar notification was due. So you got an alarm sounding even if the phone has been switched off.

Quite a useful feature.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Haven't owned

Nor have I ever actually tried sticking pins into my eyes, but I can still say with confidence that it would be a bad idea.

Anonymous Coward

Re: but I thought I just read that Samsung sells more phones than Apple. @Jonathan White

being smart does not mean being technically savvy,

what I assume the poster means is that if you are technically savvy, you'll find the walled garden of the iPhone limiting and need something like an Android phone...

There is some overlap of buyers, but in general I notice media types buy iPhones and Techie types by Android...

I am of the techie type, I've owned only droid phones..

yet my sibling is definitely a media type, owning both ipads & iphones...

Personally I don't get men buying the iPhone, it is not a very manly phone... actually looking at most men I know who own an iPhone, they are not very manly either...

Anonymous Coward

Re: Some people

I see a Ferarri and think they look ugly, aston martins are much nicer looking, and fast enough for our roads!

Anonymous Coward

£800, that would be 8 hours I think you'll find! your forgetting the hefty agency cut!!!

Anonymous Coward

Re: @Ted Treen

Exception to the rule,

In my 3 years contracting (which covers 7 companies), only one place had a high percentage of iPhone owners, and that was because it was a Media company where everyone used Macs.... The contractors in there all used Android phones, and we were brought in to do what the perms can't....

Anonymous Coward

Re: @Ivan

Many Android phones have a multi-colour LED that lights up with email, charging status etc...

The advantage is you can leave your phone somewhere and walk back, seeing if you had emails/messages to check without turning it on and looking at the screen... then again many droid phones have screens large enough to read, to me the iphone is too tiny for my hands, hence I can't consider it an option, even if I didn't hate iOS.... nowt against apple, i just can't stand iOS's bad settings design, with my android phone I can turn wifi off/on in about 2 seconds, with iOS, it takes much longer to do, plus the settings are not as extensive...

Anonymous Coward

"Apparently most of those that rant about Apple don't own or have never owned an iPhone.

Now that's telling....."

Only if you're able to eliminate the people who don't have a current iphone (but did have one previously) and the people who've used one (friends'/relatives' ones, borrowed one etc) and found that they dislike it.

Basically it's only a telling phrase when it's people who've had no exposure at all to an iphone and still bitch about it. I disregard their rants (just as I disregard the rants against Windows Phone from people who've never used one).

Anonymous Coward

" I'm probably about 5 or 10 years ahead of the average Apple user."

Yes, you're great. See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandiose_delusions

Re: Marty

The two are not mutually exclusive. I agree that an iPhone IS a better device for the technically less (or non) savvy for all the reasons listed. However that does not by any means imply that ONLY non-technically savvy users will like it and I don't believe the poster you are replying to implied that.

Silver badge
Trollface

Re: Some people

>Feeling the need to lord it over others, especially over a piece of electronic tat is just as sad as living an envious life IMHO

Well said. But it applies regardless of which particular brand of mobile pretty one owns.

What we see here all the time is 'mine is better than yours'. For any definition of 'mine' and 'yours'.

Live & let live, eh?

p.s. One thing I found quite interesting is the HTC vs. Samsung ratings. Pity no one's chimed in.

Apple's iPhone may have its detractors, but they don't appear to include many folks who actually own one...

Because I often buy things I don't want.

Anonymous Coward

@M Gale....

only a apple fanboi could down vote your comment... as they often buy things they dont really want.... usually the new pretty box that apple tells them they want...

What a silly thing to write. If you actually understand simple English, you'll know that people who buy iPhones are happy with them. People who buy Samsung phones (etc), not so much. The implication is that whatever phone you have, and it's clearly not an iPhone, you are less happy with it than I am with mine. That must really comfort you.

Silver badge
Linux

Been there,done that...

Me and the missus both ditched our iPhones for Androids.

A 7 inch Android tablet was what really pushed her away from Apple.

Trollface

"The implication is that whatever phone you have, and it's clearly not an iPhone, you are less happy with it than I am with mine. That must really comfort you."

Clearly.

Now if you don't mind, I have to go check the torrent that's running on the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S in the window. The one that's also being my access point. The one which has an awesome camera, and lets me put music and videos on it by plugging it into just about any computer running any operating system and using drag+drop without having to install some awful bloatware. The one which has voice recognition that makes Siri seem like a deaf retard. The one that's already had two updates since I've had it. The one with the eye-searingly bright screen. The one with the supermodel-thin design. The one that syncs nicely with the Transformer Prime I also own, that isn't made by Sony Ericsson. The one which I can toss away and get another model by another manufacturer and still keep all my apps, if for some reason I felt the need to. The one I can transfer files to any other phone on the planet with via Bluetooth.. oh... unless it's an Apple phone.

Yeah, I really don't like my phone, as you can tell. I'm obviously way down there on the customer satisfaction chart. I suppose I will have to be comforted with how happy you are, since you evidently took time out of your busy life of gazing lovingly at your own phone like it's the one thing that validates your entire existence.

Oh, I can hold mine however I like. It still works. Just thought I'd let you know (insert "that's what SHE said" here as appropriate, or entirely inappropriately).

Anonymous Coward

Re: AC @M Gale.... 21:12

You have an enormous chip on your shoulder, did mummy say no when you asked for an iPhone for your birthday?

You know, and I know you a suffering penis, sorry iPhone envy.

Happy

Mobile Telephones Anyone?

Well I am very happy with my Nokia 6230i and have been for quite a few years, I am sure how long, lets say 6~8 years. Sure now the battery needs feeding every 3 days rather than every week so perhaps I might mark it down over that, but heck 6~8 years battery life is not that bad. I believe it could store music on it, but why would I do that? It does not 'do' e-mail even if it might have been possible to set it up, frankly I do not care. As I use it mainly when out of the house and frequently while doing something else, e.g. driving, dog walking, shopping, taking sick relations for treatment, etc. why would I need mobile internet?

To me ANY phone that cost a fortune and then apparently needs a second mortgage spent on extras was defective on delivery.

Oh and for the record I have used Apple portables, perhaps the slowest, most unstable things I ever used. They had them at work, it used to cost me 25% of my working day, yes its sad I know but I kept a worksheet for a while as I needed something to do while it struggled to load or crashed and tried to recover. Windows and even DOS were a pleasure compared to that set of problems.

Sadly all such surveys say is that people who bought something expensive are pleased with the purchase. Those who bought a lower priced item feel free to think about striving for something more in the future, or in my case not!

Anonymous Coward

Try it you might like it. I've used both and if you want something that works, is easy to use and you can get loads of accessories for it - get the iPhone. My car takes a replaceable cradle - available for iPhone but all those other smartphones - nope. 3rd party vendors just do not want to support these other makes.

For a single manufacturer they have done fantastically well - it's easy to count Android numbers when they are given away as 'free' contract upgrades or Amazon put the OS on a kazillion of their devices (not that many people would even know it was Android).

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Re: Mobile Telephones Anyone?

Great job, Richard! You found the phone you desire!

But what does that have do do with the price of fish? Many people, such as myself, want a device that can do a lot more than just make phone calls. Many people require a device that allows them access to things that a dumb phone cannot provide. Some do in fact need mobile internet for their work or for something to do on a break, or perhaps they just want it. And they're willing to pay extra to get it. They may choose an overpriced piece of tat or they may make a sensible buying decision. They pick a device that they want and they spend their money on it.

You have the phone you want. Great! You spent your own money on it. Fantastic! But now you're proclaiming yourself superior because of that choice. You're just as smug as all the fanbois and fandroids and fan...whatever it is they call windows mobile users these days.

If there's one thing I hate, it's smug.

Re: AC @M Gale.... 21:12

You realise that all you are doing is confirming to everyone the growing stereotype that Apple fanboys are complete arseholes?

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Pratt.

Boffin

@AC 07:41 Cradles

Well, yes, I can see how your retarded phone might need a cradle. My various Android devices all talk to my car systems via Bluetooth, stream phone calls, music, audio books, text messages, and acting as an Internet access point so the car can update mapping information, speed cameras, traffic information, weather, and so on in real time.

Come on and join us in the 21st Century, it's very nice.

GJC

Anonymous Coward

@JEDIDIAH - and M. Gale, and Marty etc

@JEDIDIAH

Who really fucking cares about you and your missus? The original story is about customer satisfaction, and you and some other idiots seem to think that you can invalidate the original survey by telling us how much you love your non-Apple products.

Assholes like you, M. Gale, and Marty are worse fanboys than any Apple users that I've seen in years.

Stop

Re: @JEDIDIAH - and M. Gale, and Marty etc

at least we have the balls to put our names to our posts.....

and i stand by my comment that if you willingly overpay for re-badged 2 year old, crippled technology then you are going to defend your purchase..

one thing I will say positive about the iphone is that they hold the 2nd hand value very well. My daughter has a 3GS that since the day she got it was placed in a hard case and a screen protector. She now wants a new iphone 5 when it comes out. The 3GS still has the original box, all the packing, brand new ear buds & charger, not a single scratch on it anywhere. I expect to get a more than reasonable price for it.

my daughter is a very happy iphone user.....

Silver badge
Linux

> Who really fucking cares about you and your missus?

Every fanboy like you foaming at the mouth that criticism is not allowed because we haven't even owned or used the product.

Anonymous Coward

Re: AC @M Gale.... 21:12 @feanor

@feanor

Sweeping statement you make there, but hey let your immaturity hang out.

Anonymous Coward

Sadly there is no point making a reasonable argument to JEDIDIAH over this.

He will not listen, as a pubescent teenager that he is he will stamp his feet, scream, stomp and keep saying the world is so unfair.

Going through his teens is not easy for him.

We should show sympathy.

Assholes like you, M. Gale, and Marty are worse fanboys than any Apple users that I've seen in years.

So first I state that I don't often buy things I don't want, then I give a short list of things I like about my current phone. Sure, a slight dig at Apple over the complete lack of bluetooth OBEX capabilities, and Antennagate. I even managed a jab at Mr Smarmy up there, but you're lumping everyone into one group and acting like I've just called every single owner of a type of phone an arsehole.

Now come on, even in my wildest, I-hate-Microsoft rants, I don't go accusing every Windows victi^Wuser of being some kind of sheep. Nor do I compare them to body parts.

You on the other hand, appear to have some real phone-based insecurities. You should check that.

Re: @AC 07:41 Cradles

"My various Android devices all talk to my car systems via Bluetooth, stream phone calls, music, audio books, text messages, and acting as an Internet access point "

Presumably all while using electricity from their own, limited batteries while you are sitting not two feet away from a machine that is perfectly capable of providing an effectively unlimited supply of electricity? I say that because as soon as you plug in a cable, you lose the primary advantage of Bluetooth.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Been there,done that...

"Been there,done that...

Me and the missus both ditched our iPhones for Androids.

A 7 inch Android tablet was what really pushed her away from Apple."

My guess is Jedidiah's missus is an intelligent woman, loves iOS, but will purchase whatever gives her a quiet life.

ROFL..

the person who buys a simple ford car is happy with it, it does what he wants... just like the standard IPhone buyer... they do not want all the tech stuff, just a reliable phone...

The person who buys a fancy sports car wants something that will do a whole lot more than just travel a few mile to the shops every day!! and then he will complain about mileage, etc, etc...

Just like the more demanding mobile phone buyer, who is usually expecting something as capable as his home computer!!! dream on..... :/

Please wake up, and realize the massive difference between the capability & upgrade ability of other phones..

Apple has a total of 4 actual phones, the latest is almost a year old... plenty of rumors, but no *touchable* version 5 yet...

Samsung has *seventeen* 'coming soon' phones, nokia has 8... Come ON, apple, spend some of your lawyer money on getting your phones more versatility and choice!!!

Boffin

Re: @AC 07:41 Cradles

Cables? Well, yes, I do occasionally need to plug it into a USB cable for charging, until the inductive charging pad is released for it this month. Then I won't have to bother.

GJC

MIc

Break down by OD

I'd like to see a breakdown by OS of customer sat.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Break down by OD

Do you think most Andoid users have the slightest idea of what an OS *is* let alone what version they are running?

Bronze badge
Thumb Down

Proves nothing

It's not a popularity contest. Wake up, sheeple.

Re: Proves nothing

But it is a popularity contest.

Which is the problem.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Proves nothing

I don't know.

Which is the problem?

FAIL

"10 million in the first week"

The fact that so many iPhone owners are so keen to buy the latest and greated iteration each time indicates to me that they're not *that* satisfied with their current phone.

If I find a phone that I really like, I tend to want to stick with it.

Silver badge

Alternatively

That so many people are prepared to jump to the new iPhone suggests they're happy to keep buying Apple products.

And that's their choice, personally I dumped iPhone because they've all been mediocre phones with poor reception and call quality.

That's kind of the point I think...

...when you have an iPhone x-1 and x+1 comes out (seems like a lot of people miss x, keeping their iPhones for a couple of years at a time) you've been happy with your iPhone x-1 and the iPhone x+1 has a familiar user interface, runs all the apps you've bought, but has a better camera, runs faster, has a better screen, and a sprinkling of new features that you can use or not as you see fit.

So, it's like sticking with your phone, only it gets better and faster (for a price).

I'm not judging whether Apple is innovative or a leech on the backside of Samsung/RIM/HTC etc, just pointing out that people who own iPhones are happier with them than any other brand (per this survey) and so keep coming back because they trust that the new iPhone will be as good, do all it did before, and have new things they want.

No conflict really.

Silver badge

@skelband "10 million in the first week"

When an Android fan sees iPhone selling 10 million in the first week, it tells him the iPhone sucks because all those people want to abandon their iPhone for a newer model.

When an Android fan sees Galaxy S3 selling 10 million in the first month, it tells him it is an awesome phone, and people are finally starting to realize iPhone sucks and Android rocks.

I'm sure you also have a good explanation for why Apple is at the top of customer satisfaction stats and Samsung rates below average.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017