back to article So, just what is the ultimate bacon sarnie?

It's fair to say that the question of just what makes the ultimate bacon sandwich has proved somewhat controversial with hungry Reg Readers. Our Bauernfrühstück v bacon sarnie post-pub nosh deathmatch prompted a furious scrap over the comparative merits of back versus streaky, brown sauce versus ketchup and butter versus, well …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Thumb Up

Re: A prize for the best should be called:

MMMMMMMM now salivating like one of Pavlov's dogs at the thought of BCB's

Pint

My favourite bacon creation

Fry bacon (good quality middle or back, dry cured) and onions

Put in a chiabata "roll" with some good mature cheddar.

"Toast" in a panini press or similar so the cheese melts into the onions and sticks the thing together.

Slice in half.

Thumb Up

The best ..

The best bacon sarnie is one with .. another bacon sarnie next to it

Silver badge
Happy

Re: The best ..

The best sarnis is one with... another next to it...

served by the chippie in her maid costume

Silver badge

Re: The best ..

You have a female carpenter? And one who works in a maid costume?

Coat

So, just what is the ultimate bacon sarnie?

A vertical one.

Thumb Up

Re: So, just what is the ultimate bacon sarnie?

Actually; yes.

I tend to put the bread under the grill to part-toast it. And then balance the sandwich on it's side (ideally leaning against another one) on the plate, thus ensuring that the bottom layer doesn't get soggy due to steam on the plate.

Boffin

I cannot let this pass.

I do not, sadly, have pictures, as we were mostly too drunk to be trusted with cameras. The very best bacon roll involves cooking the bacon on a barbecue, carefully balancing three or four rashers on a burger bun on top of a thick slice of black pudding, similarly barbecued, and then adding as much parmesan as you can get to stay in the bun.

We do this every year during a four-day party to celebrate the August Bank Holiday. Absolutely delicious, especially when washed down with a bottle of good red wine. Breakfast of champions.

GJC

Pint

@GJC

you Sir, are a culinary titan.

Re: @enigmatix

You are too kind.

It turns out there is some photographic evidence of a precursor version, as seen here:

http://budley.quatermass.co.uk/2012/08/31/izza-bacon-good/

GJC

And here is the "before" shot.

If I remember correctly, we had to go and get some more supplies for the Monday morning, that year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ramtops/4944847957/

GJC

Thumb Down

Re: I cannot let this pass.

You ruin bacon by putting parmesan on it? You are mad. Bacon tastes great. You don't ruin it by putting stale old cheese on it. I don't even want to think about what black pudding would do to it.

Pint

Re: I cannot let this pass.

Ah, well, if you don't want to think, there's not a lot I can do to help you. Pretty much everyone who has tried this has loved it, for the record.

GJC

Silver badge

Step 1: no bacon

Forget rashers: too thin.

Instead take a bacon steak (essentially a thick chunk of best back, sans the fatty bits) and grill until thoroughly cooked, but not crispy. While the grill's still on, lightly toast 2 slices of hand-cut to your preferred thickness, white farmhouse bread.

While the bread's toasting, slice the bacon steak into 2 or, if you're a budding surgeon: 3, slices. Placing lovingly on one of the now toasted slices and add tomato relish (the red stuff with "bits" in) to cover. Depending on size of mouth, cut sarnie into pieces but be warned: this makes it an easy target for partners to say "wotcha got there, gizzus a bit".

Bite, crunch, enjoy. Repeat

Silver badge
Devil

Too late

Will a photo of an emtpy plate do?

It's all about the cooking of the bacon

Seriously... don't trim the fat; you'll never know when it's properly cooked (if you must trim it; do it after you've cooked it) - buy proper dry cured (or correctly brined) bacon; fry it gently in a good glug of rapeseed oil until the fat has rendered down and become crunchy and liberally fill two slices of fresh; hand cut bread.

Re: It's all about the cooking of the bacon

"fry it gently in a good glug of rapeseed oil"

No no & thrice no. Bacon, not the cheap Danish stuff that's 99.5% water, should be fried dry, let the fat do its devine work.

Silver badge

Re: It's all about the cooking of the bacon

Not rape, that stuff is awful. Corn oil is much nicer.

Proper dripping is best but can be harder to get hold of.

Stop

Always second best

The best bacon sandwich actually has no bacon in it but has sausages instead!

Bacon will always be second best to the dong shaped bag of pork.

Happy

Incentive...

One of the electrical trade shows I go to offer:

- Free product samples (meh)

- Demonstrations of the latest kit and tools (again?)

- Technical literature (>shrug<)

- Lectures on various subjects (yawn!)

- a free bacon roll for every visitor (where do I sign up!)

Talk about knowing your target market...

Megaphone

Re: Incentive...

Which Trade show, we must be told....

Source of bacon makes all the difference

Most supermarket bacon has too much water forced into it.

Its also in 10 packs.

I like Costco's own brand bacon. Not too much water in them and 8 rashers to a pack.

8 is a good number because it fits on my grill perfectly. Plus the other half and I get two rolls each, 10 is a bit more fiddly.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Source of bacon makes all the difference

Any forced water is bad, bacon MUST be traditionally prepared for it to taste right! Whether it be Wiltshire cured or apple wood smoked, it must have no forced water!

Re: Source of bacon makes all the difference

I'm a big fan of off-cut bacon from the butchers.

Use the little ratty bits for risotto and stuff, and the big chunky lean bits for sarnies.

Thumb Up

The best Bacon sarnie?

...Is mine.

Pint

Too late...

I've just polished off a bacon sarnie for my lunch, although I'm sure I'll be eating many more before the deadline reaches so I'll have to get a snap to show you all how it's really done ;)

Thick brown bread, plenty of butter, and just slightly crispy bacon, now I want another one!

Silver badge

So now that the recipe for the perfect bacon sarnie has been found.

What's the perfect beverage to wash it down with?

Pint

Re: So now that the recipe for the perfect bacon sarnie has been found.

I'm actually a vegetarian (although I think eating meat is totally natural etc and am not a moss juggler) , and have read this thread with interest.

Best thing to wash a bacon sarnie down with? Why, a cup of strong builders tea of course!

Mushroom

must be white

Although bacon sarnies _can_ be made with brown bread it _should_ be made with white. but not the kind you buy in the supermarket.

It needs to be a sweet white oval roll, preferably similar to those you get from KFC: It needs to be slightly (very slightly) buttered, and then gently toasted on the side that has butter (the insides of both buns).

The bacon must not be washed, a Bacon Sarnie needs to be salty as well as sweet, sour and delicious

The bacon can either be back or streaked, the key is to bake (not fry) it long enough that the meat and the fat both turn crispy (but not too crispy, there should still be the slightest of 'give' in it). To achieve this it is paramount that the slices of porcine mana be turned half way through.

This should then be covered in the highest quality ketchup (not too much, not too little, it must be just right), without which we are not talking about a bacon sarnie but bits burned flesh between pieces of bread.

Eat This.

Def
Silver badge
Thumb Up

The very best bacon sandwich used to be made by Andy (last name unknown) in his (now closed because he broke his contract and cooked on the premises) sandwich shop which used to be situated in St. Augustine's Parade, Bristol. (Almost under the Colston Tower.)

Now that that hammy heaven has closed, the second best is the Brunel Buttery on the other side of the docks.

Failing that, pop over to my place on a Sunday morning. (The perfect bacon sandwich is all about timing as much as it is ingredients. Make an identical sandwich on a wet Tuesday afternoon and it just wont be the same as that hangover curing marvel you lovingly prepare on the weekends.)

Ultimate Bacon Sarnie

How soon people forget.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/10/ultimate_bacon_sarnie/

Coat

First obvious step

Start with Vyvyan's pet ferret ... http://i.ytimg.com/vi/tm7wQ_J6XzA/0.jpg

Re: First obvious step

That's one seriously deformed ferret.

Pint

To me the best bacon sarnie has to have Smoked British Back Bacon Grilled with HP sauce in a buttered crusty roll.

Simple but delicious.

and accompanied by a pint of Scrumpy.

WTF?

Not Made By Me!

The best bacon sarnie has to be the one that has been made for me by the wife, on the first morning of any festival that we happen to be at!

It dosen't matter how it's made, or what's in it - as long as I didn't have to make it.

Re: Not Made By Me!

Correction: The best bacon sandwich is one you didn't have to make *AND* you don't have to wash the frying-pan up. Bonus marks for it being a camping frying-pan where shifting the burnt-on crud requires sandblasting.

Thumb Up

Re: Not Made By Me!

Correction totally accepted!

Go

Now I'm getting hungry

Gale's burger van in the paddock at Lydden Hill circuit used to do a breakfast baguette containing bacon, a jumbo sausage and a fried egg. Add sauce to taste and book your coronary surgery :-)

thick crusty poppy seed loaf. cut roughly into doorstep size slices. thickly slathered with some quality butter , non of that namby pamby healthy eating spread or low calorie nonsense.. proper salted butter.

several rashers smoked or unsmoked whataver your preference.. these need to be fried in lard.. none of that wimpy olive oil or some frylight rubbish. fry until the fat goes slightly crispy .. DO NOT CUT OFF THE FAT IT ADDS TO THE FLAVOUR. any sauce is blasphemy . we had a colleague who put tomato ketchup on a steak at our christmas works dinner.. we of course had to kill him!. The only Thing that needs to accompany a bacon sarnie is of course a good quality strong pint of dark ale!

Meh

Two empty slices of bread...

... with possibly a spread applied, if you're an observant Jew or Muslim.

Angel

We know whats good for you

The best bacon butties are made in Cupertino. They don't actually have any bacon or sauce in them as these are considered bad for you, but they have very carefully cut and shaped bread made to a secret recipe which smells amazing.Oh and you'll get sued if you try make one yourself.

Re: We know whats good for you

Just don't cut the corners off...

Re: We know whats good for you

Rounded corners, no doubt.

Thumb Up

Help required.

Please can someone pop along to the Cafe at Jodrell Bank & get a picture of one of their bacon butties to submit.

I suggest eating one while you are there.

The best 'away from home' bacon butty I have had in many a year.

I would go myself, but it is quite a trek.

"Don't worry unduly about the quality of your snaps, as long as they give a flavour of your offering.."

I've heard of smellivision, haven't got a tastycam though.

Jesus I'm fucking starving now.

Good crusty white bread (Irish batch bread works), back bacon cooked with a grill pan, fat is OK because its going to be crispy. Butter or not, doesn't really matter to me (I tend towards not) and HP sauce. Not ketchup, not mustard (that's fine for sausage sarnies but not bacon) and none of those shitty brown sauces like Chef or Daddies, has to be HP. Mug of tea on the side (the only time I drink tea is with bacon sarnies).

Silver badge
Joke

I really do know how to make the best bacon sarnie, but whilst I was getting the instructions on how to attach the photo to an email on my smartphone, my dog ate the sandwich!

Do I get an entry with that?

I have done many tests and found that anything other than common white bread sucks. Fresh cheap white bread is best, it can be from a baker, but must be soft crust. As for bacon, I prefer streaky from LIDL, it is not British though. Sadly, I haven't found any British bacons that are as nice in a sarnie as the cruelly-reared milk-fed Dutch, Danish or Polish types.

@ Richard Cartledge

You want to nip into my village & get some real Lincolnshire, properly cured, not injected with salty water, middle bacon, rind on, from the village butcher who, conveniently has the other half of the shop as a bakery.

Ruskington :-)

Anonymous Coward

How about Nottinghamshire/Potteries-butty-van style, with mushrooms.

I nearly died of pleasure when I discovered they did that thereabouts ;)

Plus the people were sooo charming and lurrrvley to us Sweaty Sock type visitors.. Waah.

Now if only they had lots of jobs ;)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018