back to article Ho ho ho! Apple's Samsung ban bid pushed back to Christmas

US Judge Lucy Koh has postponed any decision to permanently ban sales of Samsung's mobiles until 6 December - just in time for the Christmas rush. The request to remove Sammy's gear from shop shelves came from Apple, which had just trounced its tech rival in their ongoing epic patent lawsuit. The judge said that since both …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
FAIL

Way to go!

You've damaged your device and voided your warrantee for something that the jury said no, Samsung hadn't infringed. Samsung wouldn't have been required to recall the devices even if they had, simply pay damages.

Is this a common trait among Samsung users?

Holmes

Re: Way to go!

Ì think the word 'Woosh' is quite apt to apply in this situation.

Silver badge

True, but I don't think it applies to the people that you think it does.

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge

"Is this a common trait among Samsung users?"

Having a sense of humour? Why, yes, I do believe it is.

(Withdrawn and posted again without the silly mistake. Oi, Reg, EDIT OPTION, PLEASE!)

WTF?

IP madness

Intellectual property is seriously out of control. All this legal nonsense is ultimately paid for by the consumer, whilst the leeches, ahem, lawyers, end up as winners on both sides. It's a disgrace.

Worth a look:

Orley Ashenfelter, David Bloom, "Lawyers as Agents of the Devil in a Prisoner's Dilemma Game"

FAIL

Nokia DID have touch screen phone. Nokia 770

"There were smart phones from Nokia, and phones did have screens with icons, but they weren't touch screens. Looking at iPhones and Android phones (I have a Galaxy SII), it is obvious to me that Google copied the iPhone look and feel. Which means that Google and/or Samsung did rip off Apple."

Wrong assessment: Nokia launched 2003 infamous Series 90 7700 "ear phone" that was ridiculed out of market and upgraded to Nokia 7710 next year (2004). Not to mention Nokia 770 Internet Tablet (2006).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_7700

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_7710

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_770

All of which were introduced before iPhone (2007).

More about Nokia product range:

http://www.dailymobile.net/2009/08/26/list-of-all-nokia-phones-ever-made-since-1982/

Anonymous Coward

Re: Nokia DID have touch screen phone. Nokia 770

Guess they "thought different" ha ha.

Re: Nokia DID have touch screen phone. Nokia 770

Actually, the Nokia 770 is from 2005. Small fact and doesnt invalidate your point.. so yeah im a bit pedantic today.

Then again, I have a N900 so the 770 is like the great great grandfather of the 900.

Silver badge
Devil

From now on ....

... settle all patent disputes with a MMA cage fight between company CEOs. To the death.

Anonymous Coward

Re: From now on ....

"Current" CEOs :P

"Sammy"

Just a point, Sammy are actually Sega's parent/holding company.

Koh's wise cracks.

I'm sure Koh started the ball rolling by siding with Apple at the start.

The wise cracks were very much out of balance to a serious situation.

The whole thing is an only in America farce.

Apple have also swiped NFC with their new patent for an old new way to empty your wallet.

“Contempt proceeding” is starting to sound like

CONTEMPTUOUS proceedings...

How can anyone in Apple, Samsung or any other tech...

How can anyone in Apple, Samsung or any other tech company claim to have originated any of this stuff? Touch screen tablet devices? Touch screen phones (in reality little more than shrunken touch screen tablets with phone capability)?

The concepts that these devices lean upon existed long before anyone had the technology necessary to put an actual device together. That's kind of the thing about science fiction, you know? PADDs, Tricorders, and so on and so forth. The concepts embodied in the fictional devices ultimately lead to real devices once the technology is there to support it.

As for obviousness, if you have a roughly pad sized touch screen device, and you're using a GUI related to a WIMP interface, then a grid of icons that you select by tapping is a completely obvious solution. So's that rectangular shape. I mean really none of this should be patentable at all, all this BS with software patents has gone too far, there are so many applications that the USPTO can't properly evaluate them, and then corporates choose to use these horribly weak, but granted, patents in legal action against their competition. Pretty bloody sad that they can;t compete with products and choose instead to compete with dubious patents in and attempt to bully competitors.

Pathetic. USPTO should be ashamed, US legislature should be ashamed, US courts should be ashamed, Apple should be ashamed. It's time that this nonsense stopped, patents are becoming meaningless.

Mushroom

Re: How can anyone in Apple, Samsung or any other tech...

I know that, you know that, every other person apart from iFans, some gimp who has an overly broad invalid patent himself, doesn't understand how they work then .somehow. got himself appointed jury foreman, and Lucy Koh, trying desperately to make sure no-one thinks she's siding with the Korean company know that.

To any sane person this is all bullshit. The only way Samsung could have copied Apple's trade dress was by selling phones branded as Apple iPhones. And then software shouldn't be patentable anyway.

Facepalm

Kimchi

That means treble damages in Korean.

Silver badge
Happy

No fat filings ...

Most courts have Rules and in these Rules are specifications for paperwork submitted to the court.

They also prefer printed material to handwritten submissions. Some even welcome CD/DVD filings.

I was sued by Sabre, the airline reservation people, and after some printer tweaking, fiddling with wont sizes and styles, and line spacing as well as carefully narrowing the margins, I found I could get almost a full page of single line spaced text into a court acceptable "double spaced" specification.

Fortunately, many courts do not stipulate fonts and the narrow versions really work wonders.

P.S. I won the case brought by Sabre.

Will never buy Apple again

After seeing their abuse of the patent system and their mud slinging in courts -- not to mention their starving of Chinese workers while they make billions, I refuse to buy any more Apple products.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017