back to article Cook's 'values' memo shows Apple has lost its soul

On the one year anniversary of his appointment as Apple CEO, Tim Cook must be partying especially hard in light of Friday's verdict against Samsung. But if his memo to staff about the verdict is anything to go by, in winning the case Apple has lost its soul. The memo, leaked to 9to5Mac, shows Cook is in no mood to play nice …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Victory or Defeat?

Being magnanimous in victory or defeat is a much better personal trait than being triumphalist.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Really?

You're telling me that the iPhone design was stolen from Windows Mobile? Really? Maybe Windows CE? Symbian? Come on. When the iPhone launched people said it would never catch on because it lacked X, Y and Z. They missed the point: the only advantage Symbian had now was that its age had let it accumulate features. Five years later and Symbian is dead.

Arguably the least interesting feature of OS X is the most obviously copied: the bonkers menu-bar not attached to application blunder carried over from Xerox which has confused people since before I was born.

The triumph of OS X has been its rapid iteration and improvement and introducing APIs and programming structures for animation, graphics and sound processing far faster than Microsoft did. Consider: Apple released four versions of OS X while Microsoft were struggling to create Vista, scooped most of its features, and Apple users saw OS X get faster on the same hardware (assuming they upgraded their graphics cards, admittedly) through much of that period.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Really?

Just to clarify:

a) That checklist idea was also what I thought-so I got this at the time as wrong as anyone else...

b) I agree that many of those Symbian features are/were critical for many businesses and proprietary apps; I'm thinking about the consumer perspective here. The iPhone was just a lot better for most consumers than a Symbian phone from the point of view of UI, browser design and screen size, even the day it launched.

2. Homer 1
        Headmaster

Re: "iPhone design was stolen from Windows Mobile"

Actually the iPhone's design was most directly stolen from the LG Prada.

Meanwhile, Apple stole the iPad design from Roger Fidler of Knight Ridder. This was no coincidence, since apparently the two companies' labs were only "separated by a wall" at the time, and Knight Ridder had been collaborating with Apple on providing content for the ill-fated Newton.

1. Anonymous Coward
          FAIL

Re: "iPhone design was stolen from Windows Mobile" by Homer 1

So Apple researched, designed, prototyped, engineered, tooled, tested and certified a smartphone in less than 28 days? Right.

1. Homer 1
            Paris Hilton

Re: "28 days"

@AnotherNetNarcissist

"So Apple researched, designed, prototyped, engineered, tooled, tested and certified a smartphone in less than 28 days? Right."

You mean 4 months (Sep 2006 - Jan 2007).

And Apple wouldn't have needed to have "designed, prototyped, engineered, tooled, tested and certified" the case, which is the bit Apple copied, and the bit Apple is now fraudulently claiming to have "invented".

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re The Menu Bar

I'm a PC user, but I like the OSX's menu bar- it is always in the same place, and you can't overshoot it with the cursor if you mouse doesn't like the surface it's sat on. You can only use one application's menu bar at a time, so I have never gained any utility from being able to see the menu bars on running applications that I'm not focused on- they just take up space. The clock, battery, WLAN signal and volume controls are always visible in OSX, without having to summon the taskbar as you do in Windows. The Windows 7 taskbar is a PITA, since it will often unhide itself for a variety reasons, obscuring any status bars or tools that sit at the bottom of a maximised application window, until such a time as you have dismissed the reason (usually Java Update wanting attention) the taskbar intruded on your work in the first place. Oh, and the OSX menu is not a 'Ribbon'.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Re The Menu Bar

"I'm a PC user, but I like the OSX's menu bar..."

That's the part of MacOS/OSX that I hate the most.

4. Pat 4

Moron... the triumph of OSX was that it`s a GUI they built on top of BSD UNIX.

Apple didn`t even CREATE the core of their `triumphant`OS...

And now they have the gull to gloat over winning over a billion dollars because they patented... a Rectangle with rounded corners...

This entire thing is beyond retarded...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Did Apple sue anyone for the core of the OS? nope, it was about the interface which they wrote. So who gives a shit what the core of the OS is?

Android and WebOS are both Linux based platforms, so is Meego but do they all look the same? nope.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Moron... the triumph of OSX was that it`s a GUI they built on top of BSD UNIX.

Apple didn`t even CREATE the core of their `triumphant`OS..."

And the reason therefore that BSD is not as widely used as OSX is... ?

Oh, merely Apple marketing, right?

I think we all know who the real "moron" here is.

5. Carl
        WTF?

And OSX under the glossy exterior is FreeBSD.

Just because FreeBSD has an open license doesn't mean Apple didn't take it and use it.

And that glossy exterior? Xerox PARC, my friends. Thats where it all began.

This is the thing. Cook can't morally stand on the shoulders of giants (eg Dennis Ritchie) to gain success then write emails to staff crowing about how using someone else's stuff is bad. Apple was built on using other people's stuff.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"And OSX under the glossy exterior is FreeBSD." No, no it isn't. Still at least you didn't claim its Linux. *Some* of it is based on FreeBSD, the XNU kernel itself is based on the Mach kernel which was developed at Carnegie Mellon.

"Just because FreeBSD has an open license doesn't mean Apple didn't take it and use it."

Nobody has said otherwise.

"And that glossy exterior? Xerox PARC, my friends. Thats where it all began." Nope. Arguably it all began in an article by Vannevar Bush entitled "As We May Think", but kudos should be aimed in the direction at Ivan Sutherland (while at MIT) and Dough Engelbart (while at SRI) for they really are pioneers in the field. It is fair to say that Xerox PARC made a significant contribution, but then so did Apple; hope you are enjoying your overlapping windows and the content that is constantly refreshed as they are moved...

3. Rolf Howarth

Evil?

"Anyone who views Apple as anything but another evil company needs their head examined."

Certainly, it's another company, with shareholders and the objective of making a profit, but so are ALL companies.

The companies that are evil are those patent trolls that never invent or make anything of their own but just buy up obscure patents and then make a living by blackmailing companies who can't afford to defend an expensive lawsuit, whether or not there's any merit in the claims.

Apple isn't remotely like that. First, they clearly do invent their own stuff, and manufacturer it, so are using patents in the way they're intended. They're the victm of infinitely more patent claims from people who see a big fat cash cow, and just see dollar signs lighting up in front of their eyes, than they are the aggressor.

1. Pat 4

Re: Evil?

"they clearly do invent their own stuff"

OSX--BSD Unix

Appli OS -- Xerox

IPhone/IPad -- StarTrek

Rectangle with rounded corners... SONY

Sure... apple invented everyting...

4. swschrad

really?

you know, Apple got their start making blue boxes, and after being roughed up one night, Steve Jobs decided it would be more fun and profitable to make a computer. first out of the box was a bare board machine. second was nothing less than the all-in-one computer, although the monitor screen and tape drive did not fit in the case. with 16 pure colors and a few more dithered ones.

that provided the financial muscle and industry acceptance to get a view inside Xerox PARC, and the Lisa and Macintosh.

they weren't all just copy, unless you consider using Chuck Peddle's 6502 processor copying.

1. Turtle

@swschrad

"Apple got their start making blue boxes"

Yep. Funny and true. (Didn't know the part about him getting roughed up, though.)

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The evil here is the fuckwit USPTO.

If software patents were outlawed, these companies would ***gasp*** have to play on a level playing field.

1. Turtle

@Jim Booth: "level playing field"

"If software patents were outlawed, these companies would ***gasp*** have to play on a level playing field."

Right. Because if Apple invests the money and does the work and research to create software features that people want, it is only fair that Samsung and anyone and everyone else be immediately allowed to use those ideas for themselves.

That's "innovation and fairness" at its best, now isn't it?

6. Andy Dent 2

Typical ignorant comment, I bet you're not a programmer or, if you are, you haven't bothered getting past your prejudices to study what Apple have been improving.

1. Dave Perry
    WTF?

A friend of mine works for Samsung

And summed up her feelings as 'Apple are just scared'. The IBM created, Compaq evolved thing seems to sum up how Apple are doing this wrong. I own a 4S and am typing this on a MacBook Pro, but prefer the South Korean judgement of 'Apple infringed some patents, Samsung infringed some, pay each other some money and be done with it'.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A friend of mine works for Samsung

I have Apple kit too, but have just swapped my iPhone for a Lumia 800. I'm also going to think before I buy another computer from Apple, a while back it would have been automatic.

But Samsung really are just a cloner. It says it all that Apple's patents were all software and Samsung's patents were all about boring shit like chips. All of the innovation is in the software, the chips are just the mechanics.

1. Zbig
        Thumb Down

Apple's patents were all software and Samsung's patents were all about boring shit like chips. All of the innovation is in the software, the chips are just the mechanics.

You owe me a new Ignorance-O-Meter. Mine has just exploded.

1. steogede

Re: Re: A friend of mine works for Samsung

>> Apple's patents were all software and Samsung's patents were all about boring shit like chips.

>> All of the innovation is in the software, the chips are just the mechanics.

> You owe me a new Ignorance-O-Meter. Mine has just exploded.

As ignorant as it seems there is a valid point in what he is saying. You can't (yet) use hardware without a user interface (personally, I'm hoping my off-spring will evolve this ability). So if Apple can get patents on all the most intuitive (and therefore obvious) UI designs, it doesn't matter how good your hardware is, the user experience is going to be crap, and no-one is going to buy it. Hardware patents might be difficult to work around and come up with alternatives, but at least you can generally do so, without it noticeably affecting the end user.

2. nuked
          Facepalm

Monolithic levels of ignorance in this thread.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Just give a moment's thought to which is harder to design - some simple apps that can be designed with a GUI programming-client or those vastly complex integrated circuits that you dismiss in blissful ignorance

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: harder to design

which is harder to design - some simple apps that can be designed with a GUI programming-client or those vastly complex integrated circuits that you dismiss in blissful ignorance

I see your point, but I think you're too quick in dismissing software in relation to hardware. Each need their own skill set, and in either environment you have talent, workers and idiots.

I would not want a hardware engineer near an application design that has to be so user friendly the user can get the best out of it without instructions(*), but I would also not want a coder near hyper efficient hardware design.

What I do want is them talking to each other, either directly or via a team leader who is at home in both worlds. It appears Apple has managed that, which is *seriously* rare but which has propelled them to the top.

AFAIK, Samsung were in the mobile phone business long before Apple, yet the iPhone created a revolution by its usability (and, let's be honest) it's very good marketing. It was also the first time a company managed to force the operators to share the loot, which I personally found the most impressive feat of all - a mobile phone company telling telcos what to do.

I am thus not on the side of Samsung. Not because I'm an Apple fan, but because I'm a fan of what Apple did, in the same way as I was a fan of the Sony Ericsson p1i because it had the best keyboard ever, and the Motorola V3i because it had a form factor that nobody has managed to better since (even though the shiny keyboard and its crappy software rendered it less useful - it was the sheer form factor and hardware that made it stand out).

I respect Samsung as a company that designs solid products - I almost exclusively use Samsung monitors because I don't have to worry about their quality, I know what comes out of the box will always be overqualified for the job and tends to outlive the computer it gets hooked up to, and their phones are electronically pretty sound products too (I'm not enamoured by what Sony makes of it). However, the Samsung phone struck me as a "me too" the moment I saw it, and so did a number of other ones, simply because of the almost identical form factor and the strikingly similar way of operating (although I wonder if the guilty party isn't actually Google with its Android OS).

I can appreciate they want to ride the wave that Apple created, but I think they should not try to pretend it was of their making - that is really what I saw this case to be about.

1. Thorne

"I see your point, but I think you're too quick in dismissing software in relation to hardware. Each need their own skill set, and in either environment you have talent, workers and idiots."

Yeah Slide to Unlock was far more innovative than any processor

2. John Bailey
            Facepalm

So essentially.. Ferraris are fast because they are red?

Nope.. Still an idiot.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Just give a moment's thought to which is harder to design - some simple apps that can be designed with a GUI programming-client or those vastly complex integrated circuits that you dismiss in blissful ignorance"

It can't be that easy, Samsung had to write a 132 page document looking at all of Apple's iPhone software designs in order to copy them: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/126253497/44_iPhone_GalaxyS1_review

It might not be illegal, but it shows which company was doing the actual thinking and which was doing the copying.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: A friend of mine works for Samsung @AC 19:44

'Just give a moment's thought to which is harder to design - some simple apps that can be designed with a GUI programming-client or those vastly complex integrated circuits that you dismiss in blissful ignorance'

Yes but to make them work properly so they don't crash your system is also an art.

3. feanor
        FAIL

"All of the innovation is in the software, the chips are just the mechanics."

This statement ensures that your opinion on any and all matters technical will henceforth be completely ignored, as you clearly know nothing.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

While I profoundly, profoundly disagree with this, I think putting technology together is underrated. That's what Apple has done so well: being able to create a completely legacy-free, native platform for smartphones broke a market suffering from serious inertia and interference from carriers, and management-consultant pricing structures that created model names like the Sony Erikson U4410Z. Now you can get a quad-core phone the law of diminishing returns starts to come in (unless you're running bloatware like Android, that is...).

The snag is that it's a riskier market than selling chips. Intel, AMD, ARM and NVidia win whoever makes the best UI. But great platforms take work, and may not get the market share they deserve. Witness webOS, JoliOS, BeOS, Amiga OS, Maemo... A great processor design like x86-64 or PowerPC makes its own statement and can find markets for one-off triumphs of engineering, but a great OS needs market share and years to mature and accumulate its feature set. (OS X took a decade before it could get/licence in-OS Exchange support, for instance.)

1. David Simpson 1
          FAIL

Android = Bloatware ? Funny both ICS and Jellybean fly on my 18 month old single core Desire HD, You clearly have never used Android. But then again how did iOS5 run on the 3GS again?

1. Philip Lewis

It runs fine on mine. YMMV

2. JEDIDIAH
            Linux

New IOS on an older iPhone might be a big part of why my local iFan defected to Android. New PhoneOS on an old phone was definitely bogging down and making her pine for a newer device. The delay on iPhone 5 just helped things along.

5. Paul 135

" All of the innovation is in the software, the chips are just the mechanics."

You have deservedly received many down votes for that comment, but from the narrow perspective of a phone manufacturer I can see why you think that. Most of the innovation is really done by the SoC provider (Qualcomm, ST-Ericsson, Broadcom etc.) and other component manufacturers in the semiconductor industry. All the phone manufacturer really does is copy a reference design from the SoC manufactuer, stick it in a fancy case, and add a bit of gloss to the software on top (the actual low-level software that makes the thing work under the hood is already provided by the SoC manufacturer). With the advent of AOSP even the UI software layer is little effort these days.

1. Matthew 25

@ Paul 135

"Most of the innovation is really done by the SoC provider"

Agreed. The kicker is in the case of the iPhone that is Samsung :P

6. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

"It says it all that Apple's patents were all software and Samsung's patents were all about boring shit like chips. All of the innovation is in the software, the chips are just the mechanics."

If companies didn't keep pushing forward with chips, we wouldn't have the hardware to support such innovations in software.

Anyway, you should really read up more on Apple and software, right from the beginning. Innovation isn't really what comes to mind (make the effort to read and not make ignorant comments, then you'll understand why). They are good at putting things (that aren't necessarily theirs) in a pretty package and marketing, though.

7. Arctic fox
        Thumb Down

RE:"All of the innovation is in..............

..............the software, the chips are just the mechanics."

That, is without peer as the most asinine comment I have read in a long time.

8. Naughtyhorse
        FAIL

you need to listen to the mini-AC that wrote the first para and tell the other one to fuck off.

where do you think all this magical software exists?

in the boring chips fuckwit

and are rounded corners really a software feature??

Apple won the case cos it took place in the states where they have the best legal system money can buy. end of

9. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You could have at least tried to grey import an N9 and retain a shred of respect ;)

10. senti

[quote]But Samsung really are just a cloner. It says it all that Apple's patents were all software and Samsung's patents were all about boring shit like chips. All of the innovation is in the software, the chips are just the mechanics.[/quote]

How do you even breathe?

2. Turtle

"A friend of mine works for Samsung and summed up her feelings as 'Apple are just scared'."

There's an authoritative opinion. It must be right.

On the other hand, I saw someone with an Apple device waiting for a bus this morning. They didn't seem concerned.

1. David Simpson 1
        FAIL

Not until she has to pay of the credit card she used to buy her iPhone !

3. Anonymous Coward
      Pirate

Agree and disagree

This made Samsung look like a plucky underdog, and will add anger to their 'only pretentious hipsters use iPhones' ads. Apple may feel scared, but they make so much more money than Samsung from selling phones, and it's earned them a billion in damages on top of that. It must be very frustrating to spend years designing the iPhone casing, OS and UI and watch Samsung rush-release a lazy rip-off with the help of an Apple board member, but it makes them seem paranoid.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh come on ...

"For us this lawsuit has always been about something much more important than patents or money."

Bollocks.

1. Manny Bianco
      Mushroom

Re: Oh come on ...

How do you know that for sure? Johnny Ive said recently that they don't design and develop their products for the money.

Samsung were found to have wilfully infringed on a number of patents held (validly) by Apple in the US patent system.

Samsung's lawyers trotted out the same old line about having a monopoly on rectangles with rounded corners, even though they were found NOT to have infringed on it.

Samsung were asked by Apple to license the technology/patents. They refused, and so Apple defended themselves. Samsung would've done the same - and, in fact, did, by claiming that Apple had infringed on some of Samsung's patents.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I won't argue with you about the facts of the case. I merely cast doubt on the statement that it was all about values, not the money.

Sure they have design values - that's undeniable - but when you go into a major court-room battle with billions at stake, it had better be about money. Anything else and you risk pissing away your wealth and pissing off the shareholders.

1. Turtle

"when you go into a major court-room battle with billions at stake, it had better be about money. Anything else and you risk pissing away your wealth and pissing off the shareholders."

I think that that's really very well put.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like