back to article YouTube app wrenched from next Apple iPhones, iPads

YouTube has been unceremoniously dumped from iOS 6, the latest beta version of Apple's mobile operating system reveals. The Google-owned video website's native app for iPhones and iPads is bundled with Cupertino's shiny gadgets, and pops up to play video on behalf of other applications, but this cosy relationship is coming to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Rob
    Go

I'm sure it will get reinstated...

... if it doesn't then it looks like iOS is turning into a mini communist state where Apple are slowly cutting it's users off from the outside world and soon it will be the Great Firewall of Apple we'll be reading about.

2. Senior Ugli
    IT Angle

the youtube app is rubbish, its badly thought out and really annoys me when you jump out of safari into the youtube app and it says cannot play video. How pointless is that.

3. Big_Ted

Oh goody

Google Maps.........gone

Youtube................gone

Loads of intigration with Facebook......added

No support for most stuff on ipad 1........done

Yep there is more than enougth reason not to update to version 6, mostly the facebook bits. I DON'T WANT THEM, keep that bunch away from my devices.......

4. sabroni Silver badge

Why use the app?

I have a YouTube app on my android phone but I never use it, I just go to the mobile site.

What does the app give you that the mobile site doesn't? It's a streaming video app, if you don't have an internet connection it won't work so why not just use the site? Plus the mobile site should work on all standards compliant devices. I don't get it...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why use the app?

I prefer apps purely because of the hassle of logging in. I quite often flush the browser cache on my droid and ipad (I design and develop websites). Most of my passwords are over 20 chars long of random characters. Also I can leave the app running in the background and not worry about the missus closing the YouTube tab in Safari etc. There are other reasons but they are the main ones. That said it's not a show stopper. I'll change and adapt if needed.

2. Vic

Re: Why use the app?

> What does the app give you that the mobile site doesn't?

I have a very cheap Android.

On that, the browser frequently fails to play youTube content for one reason or another. The app hasn't failed, to the best of my recollection.

Of course, the real answer is just to buy a decent Android. But I was skint at the time :-)

Vic.

5. mraak
    Pint

"cats and warbling hipsters"

Life is beautiful :)

6. phear46

an handful?

Really? I almost think that was placed there to lure me to comment. (check what I replied to with my last post)

As a sheffielder ill admit to speaking it that way but not writing! Cmon guys....

7. RAMChYLD
    Facepalm

No big loss I guess

The Youtube app was seriously lacking, and there's no way to sort search. To the point that I prefer using Safari to view videos.

Still, it doesn't bother me, my first gen iPad wouldn't be receiving iOS 6 anyway.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oddly...

I upgraded to iOS6 beta 4 on Monday evening, and my Youtube app is still there and working...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like