back to article Galaxy S III dumps universal search, tries to dodge Apple's sueballs

Samsung has rolled out an Galaxy S III update that disables the universal search function on its handset – a result of the ongoing patent dispute with Apple. The 27MB SGS3 update is said to remove the facility that allows users to search the web as well as the device from a single search bar, Android Central reports. While …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thanks Apple

You are single handedly messing things up for everyone...

1. P. Lee

Re: Thanks Apple

2. Profit!

2. Shoddy Bob
    FAIL

Palm

The Palm Pilot had unified search across all apps way back in the early 2000's. I remember writing an app that exposed data through their search API's.

Also seem to remember that it was mobile, touchscreen and had installable apps - all remarkably similar to Apple's supposed innovation.

The law is an ass and software patents are a joke.

3. Aussie Brusader
    Thumb Up

This needs to continue

Only when the courts finally get fed up with this shit and hold the patent issuers to account will things change.

Maybe. I can dream, right?

4. Jim 59

Indexes?

What does Google/Apple do with the local index data ? Does this local machine mean that they have, in effect, read every piece of data on my phone and all communications ?

5. Nick De Plume
    Facepalm

Stupidity, revisited

Almost as stupid as the rounded rectangle thing, but more sinister.

I had "global search" in all the Palm devices I used. My first one was made in 1996.

In my opinion Smart Dial (as seen in all Nokia dumbphones and all HTC dialers) and Global Search are the sine qua non of the phones I carry.

On a side note -if you are using Android- I would suggest the Aurora global search and (if it is a non-HTC phone) one of the numerous smart dialers apps in Google Play.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like