back to article UK.gov to clear way for Britain's first SPACEPORT

The UK government is trying to open up the skies to revolutionary new spaceplanes and other such craft like Reaction Engines' Skylon. Science minister David Willetts said in a speech at the Farnborough Air Show yesterday that the UK and Europe had an opportunity to "seize the advantage" in space technology. "At present, in my …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Intractable Potsherd
      Unhappy

Re: Ooops

Isn't it a shame that space exploration is being hobbled by a few people that don't want a bit of noise every now and again?

I am nearly driven to despair by my species.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Newquay?

Runway already very long, with room to extend if needed.

Right on the coast so noise quickly over sea instead of many miles of towns.

Planning authority easy to bribe.

2. Trollslayer

Odd responses

Here we have government simply removing a potential hurdle and giving a British project a bit of publicity in the process.

As to location - yes, for obrital lanuches the wrong place but how about for transfers to/from other locations?

Pretty much what Kharkov said.

3. Fybot

Apologies for OT but ...

... what is the first piece of music and what TV programme am I struggling to associate it with?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apologies for OT but ...

It’s by Finnish composer Jean Sibelius: Intermezzo from his ‘Karelia Suite, Op. 11’. Assuming you’re British, the TV programme you’re likely thinking of is the ITV current affairs show ‘This Week’ (1963–92), which used it as its theme tune.

(For a real nostalgia trip, you might check out Mountain’s ‘Nantucket Sleighride’. Incidentally, if you like classical music and Sibelius, I recommend seeking out a live performance of Sibelius’s 2nd Symphony—the 3rd & 4th movements are outstanding. For what my opinion is worth.)

1. Fybot

Re: Apologies for OT but ...

Appreciated NFI, I might get some sleep tonight ...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The wife of a space tourist....

http://bbc.in/Nsfzuk

I would by a seat just to escape that woman!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ascension Island

Ascension Island has it all. The right name, the right location on the globe and no neighbours to annoy. How much to extend the runway and fit it with the all important fold-down palm trees?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.