back to article Major London problem hits BT broadband across southeast

BT is struggling to get its broadband service up and running in parts of the capital and across the southeast of England this afternoon, after the telecoms giant was hit by a massive outage. The company has coughed to a "serious incident" and is currently broadcasting its woes on Twitter. BT is in fact fielding messages from …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Chads

Re: I'm on VM

Never had any problem with VM myself, however I did have difficulty responding to a telephone survey the other day. The question was 'would you recommend VM to a friend?' The response was along the lines of:

If it's the ex-Telewest network then Yes

If it's the ex-NTL network then probably not

If it's unbundled BT circuits then all bets are off

Strangely the survey-droid couldn't cope with this and asked the question again

1. Tringle

QED

Thus proving for all those who haven't quite got it yet that any enterprise that relies on 'the cloud' (aka cloud cuckoo land) for essential or important services is foolishly vulnerable potentially capricious and often unreliable 3rd parties.

The 'cloud' might be cheaper than keeping everything in house - and there's a reason for that, it's because it's cr*p.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: QED

If your enterprise relies on the cloud, don't use consumer broadband to connect to it, seems to be the lesson of this failure.

2. Petrea Mitchell
    Black Helicopters

Is anything working over there?

Major bank can't take money, massive broadband outages-- is anything computer-related actually functioning in the UK right now?

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Is anything working over there?

El Reg seems to be OK.

A case of "Fog in BT exchange, internet cut-off", perhaps.

3. Gti Jazz Blue
    WTF?

Odd issue too

The odd thing is that there was some packet traffic OK - I could ping the DNS servers at our ISP and the OpenDNS ones but couldn't do a lookup using them.

Our ISP initially stated that it was an Authentication issue, though the routers on both of my circuits effected showed that they were fine and authenticated.

4. drizzy

BT's routing

The outage in the southwest (Bristol/Truro) and London is very likely to be related to Sheffield. I am in southwest London and my traffic is routed to Sheffield before coming back to London and the wider internet (adding a needless 15ms latency). I've seen evidence from a couple of others (at least one in west London, one in Somerset) that they are also routed via Sheffield. It's like everyone south and west of a certain point in London gets routed via Sheffield.

I suspect it is highly likely that the two are linked!

5. JaitcH
    Unhappy

BT is like a Vera Lynn song that came to mind ...

with changed words. We'll muddle through .. why can't BT do anything right?

... don't know where,don't know when ...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They did this while they install...

...the branching hardware that shunts everything to GCHQ.

I did not say this. I was not here.

7. Sirius Lee

Not the first time

When my BT internet connection stopped working yesterday I just switched the modem off and on again. It's not something BT needed to tell me because it happens twice a week every week. My hope is that there really is some underlying problem that, because of its huge impact this time, will be fixed for good now.

8. neomancer
    FAIL

bt are doing lots of work at faraday as all of the olympic traffic will be routing throught that exchange... faraday has been a major problems for people i know at an ISP.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

oh no cat with twitter account can't access Facebook ! Better downgrade the banks :-)

10. Just a geek
    FAIL

BT seriously need to sort out their outage reporting process. Kent was listed as one place as affected by one tool but not another and for most of yeterday evening broadband was slower than dial up.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

020 0hhh

0hhh no. So people really think London is limited to 020 3, 020 7 and 020 8.

What about 020 0 and 020 1 numbers then?

12. David Strum
    Mushroom

Good – I hope BT Blows up

I just don’t like BT's service. I think they are stingy with their download quota.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like