back to article Ten... celeb headphones

It's boom time for celebrity obsessed audiophiles. The headphone market explosion has seen everyone from 50 Cent to Earth, Wind and Fire slap their names on a pair, whether lending their names to existing products or getting involved in the production process. The spiel accompanying each pair of headphones often makes a case …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Re: House of Marley phones

I bought the Redemption Song after this review, and looking at some others around the interwibble too. Build quality on these things is astounding, and they sound amazing to boot. I'd say they were better than the Klipsch S4As.

I can't say too much about the difference between the Zions, but I thought I would let you know I am very happy with the Redemption Songs.

WTF?

A couple of alternatives

I've got five or six pairs of headphones. I use them for tracking and mixing. Not got any super expensive pairs.

Over a hundred quid is expensive for me. I know people that pay around THREE THOUSAND POUNDS. Maybe they know something I don't know. I jolly well hope so. It really does NOT make their music any better.

If you are mixing on cans or even if you want a better experience listening to your music, check out Isone Pro or Redline Monitor, they are both highly regarded in the audio world for when you need to replicate how sounds come out of the speakers (as you would in a mix), but you need to use cans. They use some kind of psychoacoustic jiggery pokery and can be tuned and adjusted accordingly. Once you have tried them you won't be able to go back, for mixing anyway...

Check out this thread for all you wanna know:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/473885/isone-pro-the-best-thing-you-could-ever-get-for-your-headphones-on-your-computer

Funnily enough, I know the guy that started that thread and he is one of the culprits. I'm not sure if it was 2 grand or 3 grand he spent. You think I'm joking? He is an absolutely incredible artist and musician, but he was before anyway.

Anyway.

Ok, I just bought a pair of Presonus HD-7 from Scan and they cost me 33 Quid with delivery. They are superb, better than my high-end Sonys that are an 'industry standard' - they are almost too bright to listen to, this is why you shouldn't believe what other people say, but try them yourself. The Presonus cans look damn cool, are built very solidly and are comfy for long periods. Really amazing for the money.

For 30 Quid inc. delivery from amazon you can get a pair of Sennheiser HD-202s. They have a slight edge over the Presonus soundwise, but are nowhere nearly as solidly built or cool looking. I wear my HD-7s when I'm working in Studio One Pro coz I like to be coordinated and chic. Looking cool is important to me yah!

Which is why you won't see me looking like a right twat on the tube, with people that 'know' pointing and sniggering like beavis and butthead: hjarhag hharhgh he's wearing Dr. Beatz doood..haerhgh aahrhgheahh

Really if you fall for the Monster bull, you don't just need your ears examining but your head too. Remember the trick with the coat hangers. Look it up if you don't.

Now, when I am rich and I know wtf I am doing, I might splash a few hundred or so on a nice pair of cans, but after getting burned by my 'industry standards' I will want to have a damn good listen to them first. Check out the reviews on the HD-202 - you will get the picture.

If you can't stretch to 30 Quid, check out the Koss UR-20s - they are mind blowingly good for 15 Quid. But they don't look 'cool' ;-) They actually sound slightly better than ones I have costing literally 10 times more. And they are SUPER comfortable.

And if you do want a cheap 'industry standard' pair of cans for tracking and mixing - check out the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro - you can get them for about 60 Quid if you shop around. Justin Frankel - the guy that codes REAPER and coded Winamp uses them. 'Nuff said. He's not just cool, he's like (hey eh) totally awesome dood (eh eh)...

And I think he might be able to afford a 3 grand pair of cans, don't you?

Anonymous Coward

A note on curly cables

They can be seriously useful when you're trying to move around a large console whilst mixing a live band.

Here speaks a user of some seriously battered Beyerdynamic DT100s. I have yet to find anything as wonderfully comfortable (though I will admit mine are a bit lacking in bass, something solved by the DT150s)

Thumb Up

Re: A note on curly cables

Now the DT100s really are an industry standard. Super comfortable and pretty decent sounding for what they are: a tracking pair of headphones. As ubiquitous in their black and white finery as those damned NS10s. Sound better too ;-)

Haven't tried the DT150s.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but this site should be checked out if you are thinking of spending over £50 on some cans: http://www.headphonereviews.org/index.php

Celeb cans.....meh.

Tyler Hertsens who appears now and again over on twit.tv's Home Theatre Geeks (http://twit.tv/show/home-theater-geeks) did a pretty good review last year of celeb cans:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/celebrity-headphone-deathmatchhttp://www.innerfidelity.com/content/celebrity-headphone-deathmatch

You can hear him talk about them on HTGs:

http://twit.tv/show/home-theater-geeks/91

Suffice to say that in many cases you're paying a serious wad just for a name.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/category/specialty-headphone-reviews

Custom molds

For the price of some of these you can get proper 2/3 way custom molded IEMs. Why would you pay extra for something just because it has someone's name on it?

FAIL

It's one of those things where the responses to the reviews are far more useful than the reviews themselves. I've always suspected that these pseudo-luxury brands are overpriced shit and the responses seem to confirm it. They have saved me a great deal of money and that the people who buy them are gullible, vain tools.

Facepalm

Why all the negativity towards Beats?

I listen to them on my daily commute, admittedly they're not mine, generally belong to someone stood 5ft away and spew forth R&B dross but I listen to them nonetheless, I don't really have a choice without putting ear plugs in.

Terminological Inexactitude

There are Headphones. There are Earphones. There is a difference. Surely a technical reviewer knows about that? Reviews irrelevant till subject knowledge evident.

Thumb Up

Gotta love the Sennheiser HD-25's

Comfortable to wear, they sound alright and although they aren't indestructible as some people like to make out, the last pair I had lasted for 10 years.

For the life of me I don't know why anyone would want to wear in-ear headphones, hat fanciers maybe?

Meh

Klipsch X10 FTW

I have the original Klipsch X10's.

I've never had a pair of in-ear headphones that cancel noise as well as these.

The only complaint I have is that the bass can be a little weak but, considering these are tiny headphones they sound magnificent.

I wouldn't waste money on any audio product that attributed its self to a rapper. You know all that headphone is going to do is boom as much base as possible. As someone who likes my music with other instruments besides percussion I think I'll stick with brands that attribute themselves to high fidelity.

Joke

Dr. Dre Beats Solo?

Is "putting my name to some high-priced headphones" the new "spanking the monkey"?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018