back to article Foxconn receives Apple smart TV order - report

The Apple ‘iTV’ rumour mill has gone into overdrive after the latest reports from China suggesting that Foxconn’s Shenzhen plant has received orders from Cupertino to build the much-hyped sets on a trial run. China’s First Financial Daily (via Sina) got the news from the obligatory un-named inside sources, although there was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPod Touch example - Apple does obsolete it's products quickly

The Touch 2nd gen will not install BBC iPlayer app. You need newer versions of IOS.

This makes the pretty good iPod touch hardware & screen wasted assets if you rate BBC iPlayer app highly. Relevant as here we are talking TV after all.

An excellent argument for decoupling screen from rest of the smart electronics... demonstrated by... Apple.

2. nick47

How quickly we forget.

Since every phone has a touch screen these days it's easy to forget that before the iPhone was introduced, all phones had keypads.

The introduction of the iPad revolutionised the way people thought of tablets, devices which had been around for years. Apple got them right and now they're super popular.

In both cases, other manufacturers, even those who have been making products for years before Apple introduced their designs, have taken those designs and adopted them themselves. It makes me smile every time someone talks about how great the Samsung phones are nowadays. I wonder whether they'd be making such devices if the iPhone had never come out.

When it comes to televisions I expect the same sequence of events. First Apple will point out everything that's wrong with televisions, then say what would be great, "Wouldn't it be great if...". Then they will introduce a TV set which will revolutionise the industry.

And of course, a year later every other manufacturer will release TVs which copy all the ideas. It's happened before and it will happen again.

By the way, my predictions for Apple TV are; it will just be called "Apple TV" not "iTV". It will be available in three sizes with two models each for a total of six models. It will be no thicker than an iPad.

3. Steve I
    Go

What I want from a TV...

is that (among other things) when you switch it on, it gives you a thumbnaiil of what is showing on each input and that the inputs are named (Sky, Playstation instead of HDMI1, componant etc). You then point to/tap/say which one you want.

Perhaps there is some brand that does this already?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like