back to article NASA found filming August's Mars landing in California desert

NASA boffins have been found at a site deep in California's Mojave desert with a Mars rover of the exact type they say will land on Mars this August, filming the machine as it drove about among the Earthly sand dunes. The Scarecrow stand-in (for the Curiosity Mars rover) in tests in the Mojave desert. credit: NASA/JPL 'Hey, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And I'm glad they did.

Seriously, after the heights of playing the third Doctor, to be a frikken' scarecrow? I was a kid at the time and it was humiliating and degrading to watch my former hero abase himself in that way. Let it be a terrible warning from history to all of us.

1. Steve Evans
    Black Helicopters

Yeah yeah...

If they're not faking it, why did they plant a load of baby Martians in front of it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Details...

Maybe it's just the way my monitor is set up, but it sure looks as if there's a guy standing at the top of the dune, urinating. ??

1. Steve Evans

Re: Details...

Good spot!

I think I was too busy checking out the girl's arse.

1. The Serpent

Damn, you beat me to it!

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

RE: I think I was too busy checking out the girl's arse.

Yes, moar pics of the redhead pls...kthnx

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Or maybe he is aligning a camera on a tripod. Of cause the tripod leg you can see might be a straight none gravity affected urine stream.

2. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    FAIL

It

wont stop the loonies claiming we never went to mars

"that photo looks like a earth sand particle"!

3. David 45

Tricky stuff, eh?

Bloody good luck if all this complicated gubbins goes according to plan. Must say, the vid. did prompt me to think of part of a Rube Goldberg machine!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

All I know is....

That now I will be watching Curiosity's feed from Mars for the errant "Palm Springs 36 miles" road sign!!

(And while I'm at it, Soylent Green is people! Thankfully they are people with good taste though.)

5. ITninja
    Alert

Skycrane

The video did look like quite the complicated landing procedure! I hope to god the skycrane behaves and veers off like in the video, instead of setting itself down atop the rover!

1. Beachrider

Re: Skycrane

Opportunity and his brother both has sky crane predecessors. See the NASA footage

6. Charlie van Becelaere
    Alien

Oh dear

"The real Curiosity lifted off atop an Atlas V rocket stack on 26 November last year, and is now sailing towards a 5 August date with destiny."

The real Curiosity? <snort>

7. Shonko Kid
    Facepalm

The look on their faces..

When they realize they've got the real one in the desert and it's the fake one on the rocket.

8. Xpositor

Metric vs Imperial

Let's hope that NASA have remembered the difference between metric and imperial measurements this time, and that everyone is working on the same basis.

9. Wupspups

Why is it when I watch the video clip I keep imagining a chap from Lancashire and his clever dog landing beside NASA's rover, then trying to feed it cheese (Wensleydale of course)?

Apart from that the Curiosity landing system does look overly complicated with lots that could (and most probably will go) wrong. I hope it doesn't

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Look sir...

...droids!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is the voice of the Mysterons...

We know that you can hear us, Earthmen. Our retaliation will be slow, but nonetheless effective.

12. Stevie

Bah!

So "just a test" then rather than an elaborate hoax designed to pull the space-blanket over the eyes of the taxpayers.

But how do they explain the purchase order for "3 tons of red aquarium sand and assorted small rocks and other clutter"?

I swear I saw a grinning skull around 3 inches in diameter, wearing a pirate hat peering out from behind a rock on some of the older footage, and on one photo I can clearly make out a sunken galleon wreck that can be no more than 6 inches long.

13. jukejoint
    Coat

A pocket nuclear power plant...

comes standard with my Detroit 8000 Cadillac of the Senses, and the rock-vaporizing laser; in this vehicle the laser has been reconfigured to be able to convert into a 360-degree wormhole creator in case of sudden Rapturing or Unavoidable Law Enforcement. Unconverted, it will still dissolve nuts, their trucks, & truck nuts when commanded. The only flaw is that the PNPP is not configured to charge an iphone. It will, however, get a party line started.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like