back to article Apple drops '4G' label from new iPad

Apple has stopped using the term “4G” to describe the new iPad in the UK and Australia, after regulators took it to task for doing so because the device would not work with what carriers call 4G in both nations. In the UK the company now says the fondleslab works with “fast mobile data networks”, as you can see in the screen …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Quick! Someone get a trade mark on "5g"! If that's take, just use another number.

My 7G* phone will have the bestest G rating for the internet ever!

*7G technology being equivalent to GSM. Who said the higher numbers had to mean higher speeds?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Sean Timarco Baggaley

Dear ASA,

I recently purchased a Bugatti Veyron, which was advertised on television, repeatedly, by a certain Mr. J. Clarkson, as being capable of speeds well in excess of 100 miles per hour. However, when I attempted to operate the machine at this speed recently on the M25, I was arrested by the police who informed me that the UK's national road infrastructure is incompatible with such speeds.

They also informed me that the only places I can drive this car at anywhere near its maximum speed are small, circular, privately-owned racing tracks, and on something called an "autobahn". Apparently, these are found only in Germany, and only some of them support the car's full feature set.

Why has the ASA not punished Bugatti for their flagrantly misleading advertising? Despite costing eye-watering sums of money for the privilege of owning one of the world's fastest cars, it turns out their vehicles are utterly unable to operate at full capacity on the UK's national infrastructure.

Bugatti should be required to state, very clearly, in all advertising, that their vehicles' "high speed" feature is only compatible with certain roads found only in Germany, and nowhere else! I demand, henceforth, that all road vehicles must only be advertised as being capable being driven at the national speed limit, and no higher!

Failure to do so will only continue to confuse people like myself, who will naturally assume that, just because a device is marketed as being capable of operating at high speeds, it must therefore be the case that the necessary infrastructure to do is actually available in a particular territory.

I remain your humble, etc.,

Col. Sir Steven Humpty-Dumpty, DSO, BAR, CAD, MCSE. (Retd.)

4. bep

Dear Sir Steven

There is no technical limitation in either the car or the road that prevents you driving your car in England at 100 miles per hour. The limitation you face is legal, not technical, so unfortunately your car analogy fails.

5. Jiminy
    WTF?

I don't get it

How are so many people failing to understand this?

Apple make a product incompatible with most of the "4G" networks around the world but claim it is, they get told off for false advertising.

"4G" might be a confusing term if you look at the world as a whole, but surely Apple can afford to tailor their advertising to each country they are selling it in. I'm pretty sure they give a different plug on the charger to match each countries sockets, how hard could it be to change the wording on the box.

They were deliberately telling lies on their advertising and they got called on it.

No stupid misleading analogies about cars or anything else are required to understand that

6. Winkypop Silver badge
    Joke

I'm glad I bought my iPad 3 when it was 4G

That was close, eh?

I almost ended up with 'very fast' instead.

7. Cyberspice
    FAIL

Tech specs

Surely people read the tech specs before they buy. If you're the type who gets a computer from PC World because its blue then you deserve to be disappointed.

1. Kevin (Just Kevin)

Re: Tech specs

I think, in the current market, there's a difference between buying a PC based on specs and buying a phone or tablet. And if there's a network called 4G and a device saying it's 4G, a reasonable person should be able to conclude that the one uses the features of the other. Well, the Consumer Laws in Oz do, either way :-)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like