back to article VW STUNS WORLD+DOG WITH REAL HOVER-CAR!

It would be nice if it were true, but El Reg has difficulty believing that this video of a VW concept hover-car in China is genuine: The premise of the video is this: VW decided to crowd-source ideas for concept cars in China – a branding exercise it dubbed the Peoples' Car Project (recalling, the genesis of the marque) – …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Feasible, but only if

Using magnets made from legpullium-takingthepissium alloy doped with unobtainium, ultra rapidly cooled from liquid state to preserve its amorphous metallic glass structure.

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Coat

Das luft auto?

You feed it Chinese batteries and half an hour later its hungry for more...

3. Andy Miller
    Headmaster

Buttered Cat Array

(body)

4. wim
    FAIL

design fail

who would put the controls in the middle so that the passenger can correct the driver as seen in the video ?

1. Keith Williams
      Thumb Up

Re: design fail

If the controls are in the middle then you can use it in both Right and Left hand drive areas.

2. Mussie (Ed)

Re: design fail

Probably the designers wife

5. MrXavia

Haha loved the video, I was expecting a real ground effect vehicle, but that is a pretty good fake!

Lets see how long until a local car company tries to copy it....

Maybe if the roads had embedded copper coils they could do it...

Hmmm reminds me of Syndicate...

6. Alicia

spinny!

So when I saw the car design I was expecting the seating bit to stay upright, while an engine rotated the outer shell*. That would have been cool.

*I know there are real words to describe this situation, but I want my effort to be relative to the CGI in the advert.

1. Vic

Re: spinny!

> I was expecting the seating bit to stay upright, while an engine rotated the outer shell*.

You're thinking of a monowheel.

Such vehicles are essentially unusable anywhere a collision is unacceptable. Just try putting the brakes on...

Vic.

1. frank ly

If I remember correctly, a Mr Garrison of South Park invented the vehicle you are thinking of. It had some user acceptance issues though.

1. Vic

> Mr Garrison of South Park invented the vehicle you are thinking of

Actually, they were a real invention dating from the second half of the 19th century. People really thought they could work. People were wrong...

Vic.

1. jake Silver badge
            Pint

@Vic (was: Re: spinny!)

Do a little research ... Kerry McLean comes to mind. I happened to be at Bonneville a little over a decade ago when he set a 45MPH record ... on a bar stool ;-)

He's a mad inventor, and a good engineer. Bad web site, but grit your teeth & find the pictures over a pint. Worth it for a grin on the human ability to say "the HELL I can't do that!"

1. Vic

Re: @jake (was: spinny!)

> Do a little research

Do your own research.

Just because someone built a monowheel does not mean that they are useful. They fundamentally cannot brake hard., as just a few minutes' reading or thinking would dsemonstrate.

It's possible to build a 1200cc unicycle. That doesn't make it a practical vehicle.

Vic.

1. jake Silver badge

@Vic (was: Re: @jake (was: spinny!))

I think that was my point.

1. Vic

Re: @Vic (was: @jake (was: spinny!))

> I think that was my point.

So why are you telling me to do my research when what I posted was entirely factually correct? Are you that desperate to pick an argument?

Vic.

2. Decius

Re: @jake (was: spinny!)

Why can't a monowheel brake just as fast as any other vehicle with the same traction and total rotational inertia of the wheels? Put in a counter rotating wheel inside the drive wheel, and brake them against each other. For traction issues, use a wider wheel.

1. jake Silver badge

@Decius (was: Re: @jake (was: spinny!))

Some people just don't want an education ;-)

7. Tony Paulazzo

win

Best car advert ever, 5 minutes later and I can still remember the name of the manufacturer, VW - compared to all those other adverts where car drives along stunning scenery on empty road.

FFS I even watched the entire ad on youtube (had to click to watch), and I hate adverts, and then the great sciencey commentards, thumbs up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: win

...but not nearly as good as the 'Un-pimp ze auto' ads; I remember those *years* later. And even though I know that it's not like the Wolfsburg execs sat around and thought that up because that's how they roll, they at least approved it - which does say a little bit about the corporate culture. To the extent that a company like VW has one.

A side note: I was at a few auto shows a couple of years back, during setup, and during the last 12 hours before the show opened (or more usually, the noxious 'VIP preview', where wealth creators in tuxedos pretended to be interested in Ford Transit vans while their boozed-up trophy wives ran riot in motion simulators) it was always complete bedlam. 50 lift trucks roaring around beeping, creatives yelling about where vinyl stickers went, people adjusting lights, right up until the minute the doors opened. Panic in the streets, frayed nerves, yelling, banging, every booth a riot of panic and anger.

Except VW.

I remember looking around at the chaos - imagine a long, slow pan right-to-left, with one of those cheesy action movie 'Aiiyaagh!' falling-off-something-and-dying screams a few seconds in - and right in the center of my view was the VW booth, pristine white, complete, sparkling, with one old janitor dude sweeping away a fine coat of MDF dust, kicked up by other booths' circular saws, which had accumulated on vee-dub's shining tile floor.

It was 2008. That year, if I recall correctly, Wolfsburg were the only manufacturer to post a profit and a rise in stock price.

8. Evil Auditor Silver badge

It's futile to call it fake

again. As others have done so sufficiently. But, no one else noticed the car seats which look like they've been designed to accommodate a Teutonic giant rather than tiny Chineses?

9. MikeyD85
    Thumb Up

Obvious

Warp core on the underside of the car is obvious.

10. James Pickett

I think that rotating metal discs with fitted rubber doughnuts would overcome most of the shortcomings, and require a lot less power. Is the world ready for them, though?

11. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

good to know

that at my mid forties, my eyes can still spot CGI...

12. Richard Scratcher
    Alien

I believe it.

I once saw a similar vehicle driving through a village.

It was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....

13. markd74
    Trollface

This looks real

I can tell from the lack of pixels and from seeing quite a few hovercars in my time

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Come on at least the Hitler Diaries where believable for a while longer than this! It's all very nice and clever and I like the touch with the CGI'd tin-can halfway through but seriously? If this were even remotely true it would all over the media like a freaking rash!

Jesus wept, no doubt some of you lot still turn up a Copperfield show and still say, "Wow! How's he do that?!".

15. Silverburn
    Happy

It's transparently a real VW. Witness the lack of indicator useage, and the hogging of the middle lane (see bridge clip).

16. K
    Pint

Thats so 2011...

Apparently the 2012 version has a flux capacitor!

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Like most adverts...

...It's a complete lie.

Shouldn't it have a disclaimer at the bottom saying something like 'Sequence shortened'?

1. TheRealRoland
      Angel

Re: Like most adverts...

No.

More along the lines of:

Do not attempt. Professional Driver at a closed track. Pre-production vehicle shown.

or, even better:

DISCLAIMER COPY GOES HERE

18. Alex King
    Go

Yes but...

Part of me wonders what would happen if VW did throw some of its GDP-of-a-small-country R&D budget at creating a hovercar. 'Twould certainly be better than Mr Moller's idiotic efforts.

1. Vic

Re: Yes but...

> what would happen if VW did throw some of its GDP-of-a-small-country

> R&D budget at creating a hovercar

Someone would crash it.

The trouble with having no direct contact with the ground is that all acceleration needs to be done by way of vectored thrust - directed fans and the like. Unless your name is Apollo and you have a big "USA" decal on the side, that thrust tends to be comparatively low compared to the mass of the vehicle. So you get comparatively small acceleration.

That means you have to look much further ahead, and plan your manoeuvres much more carefully. Which won't happen, and so drivers will go careering into stationary objects. Frequently.

There are a few places around where you can go and drive hovercraft. It's excellent fun - but you'll come away with an unshakeable belief that such vehicles are not fit for the public road...

Vic.

1. kiwimuso
        Unhappy

Re: Yes but...

Not only that, but I would hate to be trying to control it in a strong side wind - or any wind for that matter. Lovely over the Humber bridge in a strong wind.

19. NozeDive

The most shocking part of this video

Look at 2:13... hipsters in China!

20. Dick Pountain
    Meh

Do It Yourself

Anyone of us could build one of these cars for ourselves - all you need is a copy of Maya and about 18 months of training...

21. Alan Firminger

And

There was no amazement from bystanders, no vehicles in adjacent traffic wobbled as drivers did treble takes.

22. steve 124
    FAIL

LOL. That will go great with my Dick Tracy television-watch and there's room for my K9 robotic dog too! Surely you weren't actually on the fence if this was real or not.

23. Sergey 1
    Pint

Would I be the first to spot a car reflection at 1:56?

1. Boyd Crow

Good catch

Looks like that shot was video'd from a standard Toyota or Nissan vehicle.

24. Richard Bragg
    Unhappy

Wonder what that technology

would do to my pacemaker. Or those fitted to any pedestrian you passed by.

25. Solomon Emmanuel Goldstien
    Happy

I also recommend watching Part Two of the video. Apparently, Much Fun Was Had By All.(tm)

1. Iain Gilbert
      Go

Aww look at the little stiggies! Now we know where top gear is breeding them in case they kill the current one.

26. Boyd Crow

Cute but bogus

The primary giveaway is braking, although the same applies to forward motion. You can't brake effectively with maglev because forces fall off too rapidly when not normal to the repelled surface. Friction or reaction thrusters have to be used. Gimbaled gyroscopes could be used for rotation. There also appears to be some blurring underneath the vehicle for which there is no plausible explanation.

27. Mussie (Ed)

LOL

If your asking if this is real please hand in your intelligence at the door and head to the nearest Iphone dealer

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unfortunately the side effects are radical baldness.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Theoretically possible

But using the new near room temperature superconductors based on the senary oxocuprates.

I came up with a way to make this work by using a Manhattan Project method of enriching barium so that the specific isotope responsible for the gravity nullification effect is present in the finished material and also increases the useable fraction.

The way this works is that the virtual electrons present in the spinning superconductor are so energetic that they displace the Higgs bosons and therefore neutralise the mass of the object above the disk with a relatively well defined boundary so that it isn't lifting the entire atmosphere.

Can you say "DIY hoverboard" ?! Seriously has no-one else even thought of enriching isotopes before, it seems novel enough.

Patent pending maybe?

AC/DC 6EQUJ5

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.