back to article Carriers, prepare to bleed: EU pops a cap on data roaming

The EU has renewed its caps on mobile roaming, this time including a cap on data roaming and a promise to let travellers choose their roaming carrier by 2014, all coming in from 1 July. At the end of next month anyone travelling in Europe will pay no more than 56 pence (€0.70) a megabyte for data, 23 pence (€0.29) per minute …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Mike Flex

It'll be cheaper to use my Orange PAYG phone for data in Europe than in the UK. (I don't have a bundled data tariff on it.)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"one might be a Vodafone customer while in the UK, but might decide that EE has better roaming rates thanks to their international presence, so one signs a roaming contract with EE"

Sounds great, but how on earth does that work at the technical (i.e. GSM) level? And the billing infrastructure?

1. Uplink

I'd assume they'd beef up the number porting infrastructure so when you roam your number is temporarily ported to your roaming provider. I'd assume two porting tables instead of one: one for when you're inside your country, one for when you're outside.

3. MooseMonkey

O2 new data tariff

Looks like O2 have announced a data tariff, £1.99 per day for 25MB in europe, that looks like a slightly better rate! No details as yet, but may be a prepay thing

4. Vistaro

Who is "EE"

Your artcle mentions using "EE" who are they ? Can they offer cheaper roaming?

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Who is "EE"

EE is Everything Everywhere. Apologies if this isn't clear, we try to make it so.

C.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like