back to article Intel bakes palm-sized Core i5 NUC to rival Raspberry Pi

Pictures and details of a stripped-back ultra-compact desktop computer from Intel have hit the web. Packing a Core i3 or Core i5 processor socket on a 10cm-by-10cm board, the hand-sized Intel Next Unit of Computing (NUC) doesn't feature a touchscreen nor a keyboard, although it is one of the smallest complete x86-compatible …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Smithson
    Holmes

"Birang said the price wouldn't be in the "hundreds of thousands""

I asked Mr Birang how long I'll live for and he said "less than 700 years". He's bloody good at this predicting lark.

2. Lance 3

Ivy bridge

The use of Ivy Bridge would have been better especially since it supports the TDP to be tuned. I guess that will be the second version of it. Kind of shocking that Intel would use Sandy Bridge especially since they have been stockpiling Ivy Bridge CPU's.

3. I_am_Chris

Atom

surely, the atom is more comparable to an Arm. Low cost, low power, no fan and small. ok it doesn't have USB 3 or thunderbolt, but who needs it in this line of product.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. spegru
    Thumb Up

The bigger picture

Clearly RasberryPi is not going to compete head to head with Intel. For a start thay are a non profit organisation. However just as with smartphones the original eeePC netbooks (I think it's fair to say that these were the devices that started this) what this does show is a trend towards the end of the PC-as-we-know-it whether as desktop or indeed laptop.

In future almost every reasonably complex consumer electronic device will have a 'PC' in it but it very likely wont be much of a multifunction device - more of an embedded media player/tv/centralheating clock/ car dashboard/ phone type of thing that most likely wont be running windows (at least as-we-know-it) either, due to cost/size/power either. The more this happens the more likely that the more complex 'PC' devices will evolve into something else also - see phones/tablets for reference.

Intel obviously have a sharp eye on this game and are preparing for it. Consider how easy it would be to embed either this type of device or indeed Rasberrypi-type-of-device into a modern large screen TV. Oops - where'd the PC go?

IMHO it's unlikely that Intel will completely lose the game to ARM although it's likely they will lose some more market share

What this means for MSFT and indeed linux is the other question. But one thing is likely: more embedded devices = less MSFT = More Linux

This is all good - I look forward to the day when the market for computing devices is a competitive as it is for cars.

6. Nigel Leeming

Not the only shows in town

No-one heard of the .Net Gadgeteer or the Arduino?

7. Steven Raith

Playing catchup, perhaps? AMD/Zotac are already there.

You can get a Brazos HTPC in that form factor already:

11x11cm, HDMI output, GBe, WLAN, E450, up to 4gb RAM, etc

Around $300-400

Seems more likely what they are aiming for - the ultra-compact HTPC arena.

Raspberry Pi just ain't something they can compete with at this level - not enough profit in them at the prices the education/hacker market would want to pay (IE well below £100)

Steven R

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like