Google Drive Issues on Mac

Ha! Here;s a corrective fior hacks thinking they are God or near to God.The text below was sent by a reader of the Google DRive Launch story. It's great fun: ------------------------------- re: Google Drive Might I suggest 10mg of Xanax every 6 hours until you stop your Mac addiction. It'll help you get over …

This topic was created by Chris Mellor 1 .

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Pint

"This cloud tech is supposed to be for my convenience, right?"

What planet are you on? On Google Drive, everything is stored in cleartext. That's not for your convenience, since there is no reason for it.

It's for Google's convenience, for the convenience of the three and four letter acronyms.

Automatic synchronising

Sounds like google drive will be like itunes with the Automatic synchronising before you can stop it.

I just hope that google drive doesn't decide to wipe all files on my phone / laptop / touchpad and any other device that it comes into sync with; like itunes does.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Automatic synchronising

Erm... google drive doesn't automatically synchronise everything.

And I've been using iTunes daily for years, on Macs and PCs and had no instance of it deleting *anything* unwarranted.

Stop

Didn't have a chance to test it on mac, but on my PC, the desktop app works ok.

It asks you for what folders to sync - just like dropbox (adds your google docs stuff there too). You only need a browser plugin if you want to edit your google docs offline.

Would be nice to allow you to choose a sync format for your google docs (eg, download them in ODF or something and then update your google doc on upload).

FAIL

Wow

I confirmed this at home on Lion.

First important quality of software: it has to work. Maybe not well, maybe not feature-laden, but it has to work at some level.

Stop

I think you might want to get your mac checked out, I installed this last night on both my Mac and Android phone and both are working flawlessly.

Also, the article the other day in relation to not being able to install it on Mac because your drive was not ready is not a Mac specific problem. I had to wait 2 days for mine, and I registered from a Windows pc.

Please stop putting up crap without analyzing the facts first.

Btw, I use a MBP 13" 2011 with Snow Leopard.

I think I have the same Mac as you, or possibly the model that came out before yours. In my case, I wasn't even able to mount the .dmg file to start the installation.

IT Angle

They call that corruption. Happens sometimes, try downloading again.

This post has been deleted by its author

Gold badge

CISSPA was just approved by the House..

Do you really want to store data with an organisation that has to comply with the US PATRIOT Act and soon (by the signs of it) CISSPA?

No thanks. I rather use a service in a somewhat safer legal environment..

Trollface

The issue is ot with Google...

... it is that you are using a Mac.

Anonymous Coward

get a proper computer

Sorry to add my voice to the choir here, but if you tried to install it on a proper device, not a fruit-based toy computer, then you'll have no problems.

I always find it hilarious seeing the helpless reactions from fanboys when something doesn't work without severe hand holding, which is quite amusing and happens more and more now

Over-priced, unreliable, untrustworthy junk = Apple.

Re: get a proper computer

Obviously a Linux user, doubtless an older release of Fedora scavenged from discarded CD's.

Silver badge
Devil

Google Earth vs Google Drive

Guess which one was coded by a company later bought by Google and guess which one was made by Google's own fair hand.

Paris Hilton

How do the bright boyz (all of them) test UI?

Do they put out a call for the commoner - or do they think they know everything already including how to act clueless?

How are their products 'proofed' - ?

I.E.: How are they sure Paris will use it and buy it without testing it on Paris?

Anonymous Coward

WTF?

Why on earth would I sign up to this Gcrap when I can get whopping 25GB free on Skydrive?!

Re: WTF?

"Why on earth would I sign up to this Gcrap when I can get whopping 25GB free on Skydrive?!"

You don't have to. If Skydrive suits you better and you don't want yet another online storage resource then that's grand.

As for others, well all new Skydrive users will only get 7GB, not 25GB, and for some the Google integration may work better than the Microsoft, e.g. for those who don't use a Microsoft OS - you can use Skydrive on your OSX/iOS device (as I have) but the benefit is far from compelling... just another bit bucket.

Either way, I really don't think Google care about another Anonymous Coward spouting off as though their view of the universe is the only one that matters - I know I don't.

Thumb Up

charlie

Well on OS 10.6.8 and got my email 24 hours later. 12 hours after that I'm synced. Beats the fact that iCloud is only for 10.7 and Dropbox has already proved itself insecure. Be interesting to work how to wrap my google folder with encryption. Not being terribly geeky, I'd value a view from this corral on that.

Paris Hilton

One's one too!

www .one .com has a cloud drive thingy-mabob and that does Windows, iPads but not Mac OS.

<sniff, ... >

FAIL

Google Gotcha?

Out of curiosity, I went to the Google Drive site using my virtual PC on my Mac. It offered me the software, but I clicked on Now now (or similar) because I wanted the software for the Mac host. Now I can't seem to find the software for either platform on Google's site at all, though plenty of third parties seem to be offering it, possibly many are malware. Now I read that the software attempts to grab your personal files without properly asking. That sounds like malware too.

There is an alternative service called Wuala that *automatically* encrypts all your data *before* uploading it to the cloud in Switzerland. Thus, unlike Google and DropBox, they're protecting your privacy even from themselves, and not maximally harvesting your personal data for their own business. Wuala works on iOS too, and I've already used it to share data with someone who is not yet registered with Wuala.

This doesn't sound like Google not being evil, does it? It also sounds like they're rushing late to a party that's started without them.

Gold badge

Re: Google Gotcha?

Thanks for Wuala - I am using mydrive.ch (also Swiss, thus in a legally more safe environment) but Wuala seems to be worth looking into.

You will never catch me using Google for anything but searches, and even those I tend to filter via start page.com..

Anonymous Coward

Does feel like it's a beta

On a Windows 7 machine no amount of clicking on 'download software' achieved anything in Chrome - but on IE8 it came down OK. Installed and seemed to work. Has a lot of potential. Pricing is pretty compelling (it's cheap) but I'll wait until they've ironed bou the bugs before relying on it.

By the way - I'm sure the default install is to sync everything in Dropbox as well - you need to go to preferences in both.

Boffin

No

Only stuff you put in the Dropbox folder is synced.

Happy

I got something right!

Windows 8 Consumer Preview running in VirtualBox on a Windows 7 machine and Google Drive worked as advertised. I'm amazed.

Silver badge
WTF?

WTF?!

Don't you lot have remote ("off campus") personal file servers? telnet's been around for nearly half a century, FTP for nearly a third of a century ... there are more secure options today. Why trust other people for remote data storage when you can park an old Pentium box of arbitrary capacity on your Great Aunt Ruth's DSL line in Duluth?

Honestly, my mind boggles ... I thought this was a tech site.

Facepalm

Error codes - retro lives on

I do wonder that error codes are in many ways redundant for the user base at large. As programmer, admin /person who knows how computers work then there tolerated. But to parse them out to the user in a way that means nothing to them is from a company that has standards on user interaction; Somewhat lacking. A user needs to know what went wrong and you should tell them in english, no error codes, just if anything a reference. Now with unknown errors like this you should say to the user, something realy odd just happened and we dont know what so we would like to know more about this and click here to send use the following information which will only be used to make sure you never have to suffer this ever again for which we humberly appologise. Users to bitch about the wrongs of computers in error codes, so why should computers bitch at them with codes as the whole point of bitching is to be understood, otherwise it's a rant.

As such if they must carry on using codes to inform users of errors then I inist they call them RANT CODES as the term ERROR CODE has been sorely missed in the retro computer listings :).

Bronze badge
FAIL

As a Mac user

Ok, some software broke. Some FREE software that the author hasn't invested any time, money, or effort in (I refuse to count going to a webpage and clicking a download link as time or effort). It's not as if google said, "Oh look! HE'S downloading our software! Let's screw it up for him!"

May I humbly recommend the author taking a chill pill?

And for all you people who denigrate macs as being "fruity toys", please masturbate your egos in the privacy of your own bedroom because all you do is come off looking like a fool. In my own experience, I've found macs to be overwhelmingly more stable than windows machines. Example: I can suspend my machine and be 98% sure that it will come back up again, even if I had a fullscreen 3d game running. If you try doing that on a windows machine, you're pretty much guaranteed that you machine will be scrambled beyond use when starting back up. At least, that's how it was prior to Windows 7. I don't know how well Windows 7 handles it because I switched to Mac as my primary platform before it came out, and I've had no interest in switching back.

Additionally, I have almost seemless interoperability with other unix machines. No, I can't play every game on the market. I also don't care.

I was using my Mac at work until my job required me to do a lot of Windows-specific development. So I switched to a windows machine. It's annoying to use because, after having used a mac, I find the Windows UI to be horribly inconsistent and awkward. In other words, the exact same complaint Windows users make when trying to use a Mac.

TL;DR version: You use the machine that is suited to your needs. Computers are tools and should be treated as such, not as religions.

Crap software fixed

I'm taking my chill pill now ... sip, gulp, swallow. Ah, that;'s better. Let's try installing Google drive again..... it's downloading ....its installing ... it's working.... the status message is "Your'e all set. Just drag drives from ... to the Google drive folder."

Fabulous. Crap initial software fixed. I'll give it a whirl.

Stop

The entitlement attitude of some people sucks

Its a free (well with ads) service, appreciate it you overly entitled feeling people. Further stop sulking about a free service that does not immediately work 100% on its first day.

I have 5 devices, and it worked on ALL of them with syncing: 1 android tab, 1 android phone, 1 linux laptop, 1 windows 7 desktop, 1 windows XP desktop.

Thanks, Google!

WTF?

What's it for?

OK so I signed up for Google Drive and to be honest, don't care what they use my data for. If they can find a use for it. However:

I've now got - 5GB Google Drive - 2x 25GB Skydrive - 50GB Box.net - 7.25GB Dropbox - 5GB MSpot - 5GB Google Music - Various photo storage/sharing sites and, apart from transferring files to my Phone & Tablet. they don't get used.

What's it all for?

FAIL

Article score 0/10

This Reg hack should be sacked.

It's not a 'review' if the hack has screwed their Mac up to the point where it can't install Drive.

To then give up without trying it on other Macs, or OSes is NOT the standard of IT journalism we expect from the Reg. If it doesn't work, at least identify why it's broken and share with the community.

Perhaps the 'journalist' is just trolling. Again, NOT what we read The Reg for.

p.s. Have Drive working here on all manner of Windows & Mac boxes, worked first time without any intervention.

WTF?

I agree

I agree with the article when it comes to Google 'half baking' a service and then unleashing it in the wild.

I Pay for Google Apps Business to host the email of my .co.uk domain.

I cannot even download Google Drive.

Top right of the screen claims it isn't 'enabled' for my domain. I have checked 3 times on my Control Panel and it is enabled... This happened with Google+ as well. If you are a free @gmail user then great, the new service is there for you to use, but if you're a paying Pro user. Sorry it isn't ready yet...

I will stick with Dropbox

Mushroom

Re: I agree

Some people are behaving like a spoilt brats who didnt get what they wanted for xmas!!

Its not unusual for Google Apps Business to get features after the free Gmail users get them. No doubt google want to ensure the service is reliable and worthy of a fee before including it in with the 'Paid for' accounts.

Give them a bit of time, and you will get a service that really compliments your Google Apps Business account.... alternatively, chuck your toys out of your pram, stomp your feet, and refuse to move away from whatever system your currently using... your choice!

I really really want to love this product, but so far I can't ...

Logged in with the wrong account; found no way to change that account but reinstalling the app.

So far it seems there is no multiple-account support. Kind of lame.

I do wonder though whether they will fix my main Dropbox issues:

*everyone (i.e. all shares) pays for the same file shared by a person

* you can't share a top level folder with one person and a lower level folder with another person (everyone gets access to top level without any notification)

FAIL

Useless

google docs or 'drive' is completely useless. files appear in the wrong directory (if they are too big). the ownership of files appears random (we only have 10 people sharing files, and one use uploaded some files (which appeared in the wrong place) and they had the ownership of someone who hadn't used the files.

you want to delete a folder that someone else created ? nope. (its my domain, my account, I pay, I should be 'Administrator').

it decided because of some random error to create 999 versions of one file.

I wanted to move a folder into another folder, it did so, and emptied the folder.

Completely useless, almost pointless.

we use syncdocs on the front of it, because the 'drive' download is utterly, utterly crap (I can't see folders owned by others in my team but shared to me ?).

I'm not paying $995 for dropbox - that pricing model simply does not compute.

I'm moving to ifolder...

Mark

I currently use google drive and want to connect with friends and share pictures via dropbox. How does this work?

All my Google Docs removed

I ended up losing all my Google Docs files because of the way the syncing interface works. I posted my story here: http://googledrivesucks.com

I am able to run on El Capitan just fine. I am trying to troubleshoot another user who is on Windows though. I hope you got ir to work by now Liam. I have had no issues with mine. I do use Chrome with El Capitan.

I had issue with mine on both iPhone and Mac so I discontinued the use. I only use Google Drive on PC now. I have windows 10 there. For Mac and iPhone I am using iCloud service. I had to move to Paid one for more capacity.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017