back to article Whisky IN SPAAAAACE: Zero-G Scotch is matured aboard the ISS

A Scottish whisky distillery has sent its malt where no whisky has been before – into orbit above the Earth. Ardbeg head distiller Dr Bill Lumsden in his lab Ardbeg head distiller Dr Bill Lumsden in his lab The unmatured malt rocketed to the International Space Station on a Russian Progress cargoship in October last year …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Stoneshop
    Go

The first step

towards something almost entirely, but not quite unlike a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster (thanks, dvz)

2. Charles 9

Few things to recall.

I would have to think, even if left up there for three years or so, the end result will not be anything resembling Scotch whisky. I acknowledge it is just an experiment and as a result is probably looking at one specific factor against other things, but we must also recognize that the raw whiskey is not being sent up in a charred oak barrel (which could affect the loss to Angels' Share). And it probably will not be subjected to variable temperatures (which is important in barrel aging to force the aging whiskey through the wood to leach out the tannins and other flavour compounds).

1. All names Taken
      Paris Hilton

Re: Few things to recall.

And, as far as the isles and Islay go, all that Jeyes Fluid splashing about gives rise to a remarkable aftertaste too - and yon fresh sea breezes.

Yes, I see now.

A pure, sterile environment might give rise to a pure (poor? poorer? poorest?) sterile single malt that is probably cheaper to ship across the sea to gaelic cousins?

3. sisk

How long before someone decides to do an experiment on the effects alcohol has on the human body in zero G? This is serious stuff. We need to know.

1. Charles 9

If they wanted to do THAT, they could do that much more easily by packing a few bottles of booze (type and quality depending on the nature of the experiment) along with the astronauts. As it stands, though, I imagine attentiveness is generally called for and narcotics like alcohol are generally frowned upon: even on an experimental basis.

4. Andy Livingstone

Plod awaits first DIC

For our renegade transatlantic cousins "Smokey waits for first DUI."

5. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Pint

If the whisky does get back to earth

we must really salute the astronauts' and cosmonauts' restraint.

6. Martin Huizing
    Pint

"We are all tremendously excited by this experiment: who knows where it will lead?”

To the first asteroid collision caused by a drunk driver

To the first head in the space toilet (no need to hold the hair up)

To the first alcohol induced pregnancy in space

To the first 'mooning' of the Earth through a view port

To the first 'Whoa! Space Chunks' comments in space

To the first... ah, you get it... ;)

Cheers to you guys up in space. You deserve a drink and if you have to make it 'in the name of science', then be it so!

7. jayess

mmmm.. whisky

is it too early?

1. Tom Maddox Silver badge
      Windows

Re: mmmm.. whisky

Hell, it's 6:00 AM somewhere.

8. All names Taken
    Happy

Hick in hyperspace

Yi sheesh 'at wee shpot doon 'air?

It dishz zeh besht fish shupperz in eh' hil wurld

9. ney

*make note: start bootleging space whiskey

oops.

was I thinking out loud? sry.

yes, it's gonna be "made" in the same sink I bootleg into the other stuff too, but Smuchy won't pee in it this time. how about that, it's a once in a lifetime offer.

do we have a deal?

10. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Coat

Hmmm?

What's the specific gravity of this whisky?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The ISS Cannabis experiment

Full experiment must include cannabis seeds, a few bic lighters and a self cleaning high tech pipe

Putting on the Tin Foil Hat, an argument can be made they are already doing it.

Other wise where did all of these strains come from?

Space OG, SpaceQueen, Orbit OG, Alien OG Kush, Nasa OG, Moon OG Kush, Moon Rock OG, Blue moon, Russian Rocket Fuel, skywalker OG, Apollo 13BX, Big Bang, Eclipse, Nebula, Rockstar, skydog, sputnik, Stargazer, Venus OG, Mars OG

/sarc

12. David Moore
    Mushroom

DRRUUUUUNNKKK INNNNNNNN SPAAAAAAAACCCCE

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like