back to article Fans fly to forums to signal iPad 3 Wi-Fi woes

Apple's iPad 3 is drawing fire for its wireless performance, with many an owner complaining about poor Wi-Fi reception. Tests performed by staff in Apple's own stores allegedly show it too. Numerous reports on the Apple support forum highlight the hitch, claiming the New iPad has a much weaker Wi-Fi pick-up than its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

People feel strongly about this but...

I have a iPhone 3GS through work and bought a iPad 3 simply because the screen looked awesome , i dont have a laptop and wanted something that didn't require me to power up my beast of a pc to check a web page ( work don't like us using their devices on non work related stuff) . Bottom line is:

iPad gets warm, not hot, after 30 mins on a game or hd movie but never a problem or uncomfortable.

Iphone 3Gs seems to have a similar wifi range and speed over same distance. This is using a "n" router but the 3GS doesn't have n capability so one would expect the iPad to be far superior. Sorry folks - it ain't.

Fact

Ok have a 3GS and iPad 3. No axe to grind, as said before iPhone is a work phone given to me not bought, wanted tablet so bought what was generally understood to be best on market. Speedtest.net at same distance :

iPad

Ping 48

D 3.11

U .20

3GS

Ping 58

D 4.78

U 1.31

Something not right here

Thumb Up

Re: Fact

Same genre. Have wok supplied 3GS and bought myself new iPad on launch day. Tested using work network via speed test.net

3GS

39ms ping

8.78 up

10.38 down

iPad

25ms ping

12.1 up

14.89 down

Also have not noticed any difference between the two in ability o receive signal. iPad is 16gb wi-fi only.

Suspect any issues are related to bad batch and/or the '4g' versions.

When you say 'replace it free of charge', does that mean the iPad 4 will have to cost more to cover the cost of replacing all the iPad 3's?

Or do you mean Apple will foot the bill?

Neither

It just means you have to plug it into a wall socket when you get home. You still have to pay for it.

Anonymous Coward

No. Apple will drop the price of this iPad when the new one is released like they did with the iPad2.

The previous iPad that outsold all other tablets. You know the one. The one that's still cheaper than Android tablets like the Xoom and Transformer

No wifi issues with new iPad here

Ive got no issues so far with wifi on my new iPad. It shows the same signal strength as my air and gives identical speed test numbers.

http://www.speedtest.net/iphone/236246650.png

Re: No wifi issues with new iPad here

How far are you from the router ? I'm on 30 meg connection and up close as in 6ft I get 29.79 on the iPad . The 3Gs can only manage about 9 at the same distance but I put that down to the 3GS having less horsepower/hardware. At 50 metres the 3GS pisses all over it

Boffin

Snags?

one: Still isn't launched in Malaysia. Then again, it wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't this handful of apps that only exist for the device that I must regularly use...

Unhappy

Explains an issue I have

I've got a wifi 3rd generation iPad. Signal strength wise it seems fine and I've not tested speed. At home I've not had any issues, perhaps because I've not seen any (as will be explained in a tick).

At work we have a 'public wireless network' that requires authentication when you connect. With my phone I log in when I arrive and it still works when I leave. If I head out for lunch on return and my new conenction I have to re-authenticate. On my iPad I find I have to re-authenticate after only around 4-5 minutes on inactivity, where as colelagues with iPad2s have no such problem.

I suspect some thing is causing my iPad to drop and reconnect regularly and the only reason i've not noticed it at home is there I have just WPA key and MAC address access lists as security.

Time to see if this is one of the common complaints and then plan a trip to a near by Apple store

Alert

Re: Explains an issue I have

Just tested speed using speedtest.net along side my HTC Desire Z using the same tester and same target location.

Run side by side multiple times and on every occasion my iPad gets better results than my phone, so looks like losing connection is my only issue, but a right PITA one.

Happy

Re: Explains an issue I have

Ok turns out that in my case it's not the issue, mine is fine - it's our wireless routers - the iPad 2 guys suffer the same. Guess by the sounds of things I'm one of the lucky people with fully working wifi.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017