back to article Raspberry Pi supplier coughs to ship date delay glitch

A "system auto-generated error" left hundreds of eager would-be Raspberry Pi owners fuming yesterday after they were told their prized micro-computer boards wouldn't arrive until the summer. The notification was made by Element 14, one of Raspberry Pi's two suppliers. Punters access the firm's website to check on the status …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. James Hughes 1

Re: A level playing field for developers

It's not 500, it's about 50 alpha boards. And a prototype Linux was already running as that was done by the SoC supplier, so it wasn't a standing start.

All the mag jack problems have been fixed - the boards are done with the first 2k already on UK soil. The remaining problem is the CE compliance for the rest of the first 10k. That's almost complete. Parts stock is ready for mass production as soon as CE confirmed.

Although its thoroughly explained on the Foundation website, for those hard of reading, the original plan was to sell devices as Dev boards ready for the educational release,in a case, with all the required certificates, later in the year. Dev boards don't need CE marks. However, the massive demand means that really the dev board moniker is no longer applicable. Hence the delay whilst it is being gained for the first 10k batch (well most off, 2k still are dev boards)

1. phlashbios
        Thumb Up

Re: A level playing field for developers

I believe this is the same James Hughes that has a close tie to the Pi Foundation. If it is the same James Hughes, then his comments here are likely to be factual, as he will be posting from a position of knowledge regarding the current status quo, rather than speculation.

1. Sithlord
    Megaphone

Another cockup. The beards at raspberrypi thought it would be good for UK buyers to subsidies the rest of the worlds by charging the UK £5 fixed delivery charge. The distributors are a joke.

Don't try posting anything critical on their site either the mods wont publish it.

1. phlashbios
      Mushroom

No they didn't. The postage prices were set by Farnell and RS (the distributors) respectively. Nothing to do with the "beards at Raspberry Pi".

And it is untrue about not being able to post critical comments on the Pi website either. The site is in fact full of critical comment, concerning the distributors, the delays, the need for CE marking, the board design, in fact you can find critical comment about every aspect of the Pi on the Pi forums.

Please stop trolling.

2. Chris Evans

Errr not often

I've posted critical and complementary postings and seen many postings I would delete if I was a moderator language, wild accusations etc, they appear to be very lenient.

2. no_RS
    Holmes

Have to admit I laughed out loud when I read the story, what a bunch of academics!

The CE mark applies when the equipment is first made available in the EU, not at some distant time in the future, I would argue the raspberry pi has a direct function and is not electromagnetically inert and so should comply fully with CE requirements. The fact is has no case is in-material

The volumes they are proposing really exclude it from being a development board and it should be CE marked, as a previous post highlighted it also needs to be RoHS compliant and marked for WEEE compliance. Electrical safety (LVD) is also important as kids could burn themselves on hot components, getting a product to market is a PITA.

Glad that the resellers are doing the right thing as it is their knackers on the block for it but unless the pcb layout is good this could take a long time to sort out and August delivery maybe a distant dream...

And finally FCC approval taking 50days, for a simple part 15 device it can be much quicker than that if it is covered by the DoC or Verification routes.

1. James Hughes 1

Dev boards are exempt from CE

But unfortunately, the large order numbers means that regarding the first batch as dev boards is no longer appropriate. It was ALWAYS intended to get CE marking for consumer/educational devices, just not for the first couple of batches as they were fully intended as dev board.

3. Sureo
    Thumb Down

Vaporware

A big thumbs down for getting me all excited .... then poof!

1. James Hughes 1

Re: Vaporware

I've got one! Not at all vaporous.

1. Vic

Re: Vaporware

> I've got one!

Nobody likes you. You know that, don't you?

Now get back in your box and sort out getting me a PI. I have code to write, donchaknow?

Vic.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is a frickin' joke

I'm still waiting for my RPi, whereas Apple managed to get a well known product into my hands in the UK literally a week and a bit after displaying it for the first time in San Francisco.

RS and Farnell (RS worse) are clearly a bunch of jokers, so utterly bad at getting a simple piece of electronics into the hands of people, and surely that's what their sole job is!?

I assume if the RPi foundation were a typical normal company trying to get product into the hands of people (i.e. make the most amount of money as soon as possible), then Farnell/Element whatever and RS will have found themselves in some contractual dog sh*t by now, will have been dropped quicker than diarrhea from that dog's backside.

1. James Hughes 1

Re: This is a frickin' joke

Jesus Christ. Apple have umpteen billion in the bank, and you are comparing them with a project bankrolled some someone re-mortgaging their house? Well, that seems fair.

As to RS and Farnell - two of the largest suppliers in the UK (and worldwide) - clearly a bunch of jokers.

1. phlashbios
        Alert

Never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man Mr. Hughes. You have fallen into the trap of responding to idiots, and that can only result in you lowering yourself to their level to compete :-)

1. James Hughes 1

I think I'm up to the challenge. It's not that far down.

2. Vic

> Well, that seems fair.

Upvoted for responding without using the word "moron"...

vic.

3. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Although to be fair, any outfit that picked rswww.com as its web site does need a visit from the clue fairy

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And so the nostalgia trip is complete.

Someone announces a dead cheap and exciting new UK-designed home computer in a storm of publicity, starts marketing it before it's ready, and then has to announce repeated long row-backs of the release date owing to their problems getting manufacturing up to speed? Now it's really just like good ol' days of the ZX80, ZX81, Spectrum, QL......

1. Chris Evans

Re: And so the nostalgia trip is complete.

Sinclair delays were 6-9 months, so the R-Pi will have to be delayed a lot longer to be in the same league!

6. Paul 181
    Happy

@James Hughes1

It's your own fault for calling it the Raspberry Pi - invites apple comparisons

http://www.reghardware.com/Design/graphics/icons/comment/happy_32.png

Funniest thing I have read all day though the comparison to apple and your response

There only the biggest company on the planet and you're a charity , seems like a fair comparison

http://www.reghardware.com/Design/graphics/icons/comment/happy_32.png

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Obviously sabotage by "SINCLAIR"

Someone needs to get Dimblebot on the case.

8. BozNZ
    Thumb Down

EU Regulations

Give us a break, I dont even live in the f**king EU

9. Ian Johnston Silver badge
    FAIL

I love the consistency.

We have ordered 10,000 and they are on their way / We are selling these 10,000 through RS and Farnell / Buy yours now / We have sold 10,000 though RS and Farnell / The 10,000 are waiting at customs / The 10,000 never left the factory in China because they were made wrongly / We can't sell any yet because they haven't been compliance tested.

Meanwhile their website blithely ignores all this and lists distros and programming webinars. Which must be lovely if you have one of the ten they have actually sold.

1. Oninoshiko
      Thumb Down

Re: I love the consistency.

Noone ever said they never left China, DID ship, and made it all the way to the UK before the mag-jacks where discovered. they had to be shipped back and repaired.

Distros are availble and work fine on one.

other then you making shit up, there is no inconsistancy, just new information.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like