Weird interview questions

What's the weirdest question you've been asked at interview? I've had a couple of real blinders but I'll save those until there's some extra data in case the person who asked me them posts here.

This topic was created by dogged .

Silver badge

Two here

Two that I had in the same interview which, I admit stopped me for the moment:

1. How's the hangover?

2. Do you wish to buy my house?

The answers were,as it happens: raging, near fatal and no bloody way!

I still got the gig.

I was asked "What to I want to do when I grow up?"

I was 36 when I had that interview with whom was to become my manager because I got the job. I looked at him with a bit of an odd look because I was "grown" up. He then explained it was about goal setting and what not. Eventually he left the company and as I planned, I moved into his roll albeit briefly.

I had an interview at an English university for an AV Tech job. The head of dept. and the head technician seemed to like me but the dick from HR didn't.

"You did very well at school. What happened" was what he came out with. I was pissed off at him so I told the truth: I discovered booze and drugs. (I did point out that more then thirty years had passed and I didn't have any long term problems).

I was offered the job by phone before I got home and the HR person was "let go" not long afterwards

It looks silly, but I don’t like questions about my future.

Who knows what will happen with me next 5 or 10 years??

Of course I'm making some plans for the future. But I suspect that I move the universe to laughter this way.

This question must convince the employer that you won't be moving on to another job right away. It is also a good way to determine if your career goals are a good fit for the company. Finally, this question shows whether or not you have direction and some sort of plan. You don't need to wind up exactly where you're planning to be in five years, but you need to be pointed in the right direction.

Anonymous Coward

"Doing your job"?

Silver badge

"Life is what happens while you make other plans."

CPU

The other side

As an IT Manager I interview a reasonable amount, I try to keep the questions open or practical. I had one interviewee whose answer to every technical question was "I'd Google it". It's not a bad answer, but it was the only given to several questions designed to show me how much he knew (or didn’t know). Anyway, after the 3rd repeat answer I did ask him the obvious question- "what would you do if the company internet went down?" to which the answer came "I'd Google it". Suffice as to say he didn't get the job.

Silver badge

I've had a few odd ones over the years

Like the two guys who sat at opposite corners of a huge desk in the boardroom - so large I couldn't talk to both at once. They then proceeded to ask me questions in a very bad tempered fashion and even argue with one another.

Generally I'd just start to answer the question asked when the other would jump in.

In the end I got up, thanked them for wasting my time and left. Don't know if was meant as some kind of test but it was incredibly frustrating after the first five minutes.

Then there's the one where I'd had to take some hardcore painkillers after being driven into from behind at high speed - no wonder I didn't get offered that one. I was off my head and could barely remember my own name.

Had a couple of the unanswerable questions like above.

Had one where the guy seemed to take every pause for thought to mean I didn't know the answer and would move on.

Oh I once received a CV from a guy WhO hAd WrItEn every word in his CV in alternating upper and lower case.

One of my favourites had to be the interview I had where the entire thing centred around my scuba diving hobby. Not a single technical question was asked and the closing comment was how I seemed like I had just the right mix they were looking for and would be an asset to the team. I had a phone call from the agency before I even got to my car telling me I hadn't got it because the interviewer felt I wasn't technical enough!

Went for an technical architect role and when I'd done listening to what they wanted and pointed out it was clearly programme manager if not director level and I really wasn't suited to it, they then asked if they could complete the interview and see if I fit anything else. And then promptly interviewed for the very role I had already said I couldn't do and seemed surprised when I couldn't answer some of the questions.

Got asked what my ideal job would be in the future once when was still an electronics engineer. Back then R&D would've been my ideal and I said as much. Got rejected because they felt I was too aspirational for their company!

Fun fun fun.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017