back to article Linux PC-in-a-stick to cost coders £139

Reg Hardware Mobile Week Norway's FXI Technologies has begun taking orders for its ultra-tiny CStick Cotton Candy Linux computer, pricing the PC-in-a-stick at just £139 for Brits. That's excluding shipping and import taxes, mind, and even then FXI admitted that the wee gadget will be shipping in limited quantities when it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Ken 16 Silver badge

Re: "this is too little, too late."

It's certainly too little.

2. Dave Bell

Re: "this is too little, too late."

Micro-size SDHC cards can give you a cheap 16GB, power from the USB port on the TV, and Bluetooth...

Finding a decent Bluetooth keyboard seems to be hard (I know a few tablet users who are still looking) but this could turn a TV into something with the power of a netbook. Is this the heart of an STB, or of a general purpose computer?

It's both, I think. Even if it is a bit of a geek toy at the moment.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Finding a decent Bluetooth keyboard seems to be hard"

Why is that?

Partly in the expectation that I wouldn't get one of these today, I'm currently trying to convert a 2nd hand £50 SFF office PC into a mediabox. It would be nice if I could use a BlueTooth kbd+mouse with it rather than a generic RF remote, so I could also use thekbd+mouse with my phone, my laptop, my washing machine, etc when required.

There are plenty of cheap RF remote kbd+mouse and some of them are OK (I already have an old one).

But where are the sensibly priced BT keyboards?

"turn a TV into something with the power of a netbook"

Maybe so. Or maybe even encourage TV vendors to split the overpriced display piece from the overpriced and underpowered STB piece so both chunks don't have to be upgraded at the same time.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No thanks

This simply ain't worth any more than £10-15

Raspi for me

2. Major Trouble
    WTF?

What's it for?

Can someone please enlighten me as to its usefulness. It's really cool for what it is but how would you use it?

The only use for me would be having a comp in a hotel room (provided tv has hdmi + usb - no guarantee). Even then I would need a keyboard and pointing device (connect phone with bluetooth and use as trackpad & keyboard?).

1. Tim Walker

Re: What's it for?

If the Cotton Candy can support Bluetooth HID devices (keyboards, pointers, etc.), that would help, not least as it would free up a USB port or two. Actually, the CC only has one USB port, so a hub (and possibly a powered one) would be just about essential.

Some hotel chains seem better than others at providing TVs with external inputs - Travelodge tellies seem to be older ones in my experience, and I've had more luck with Premier Inn (I could access the HDMI on the TV at the last one). You shouldn't need USB on the TV - I'd guess you could either power the CC from a USB charger or a powered USB hub.

I look forward to seeing this little fella in action, though I remain (and am open) to be convinced that Android is well-suited to it...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If hotels let you plug your own equipment into the TV

they lose out on flogging you their limited range of overpriced grot.

3. SYNTAX__ERROR
    IT Angle

"Self-referential" curiosity

I wonder if you can power it from a USB hub which is also used to connect peripherals...?

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: "Self-referential" curiosity

I doubt it. USB isn't a peer-to-peer link. It's very much host and slaves, and the connector on this device looks like the slave end, so it won't be able to see the other slaves.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Price?

Wouldn't you be better of buying one of those cheap PAYG Android phones, like the Orange San Francisco for about £100? I suppose you'd also need a HDMI cable, but that's only another tenner.

1. Fibbles

Re: Price?

The San Francisco runs an ARM v6 chip though. I'd imagine it would run a lot slower than the A9 in this and it'd lack flash support.

5. Random Noise

Seen that before somewhere

So it appears they've licensed the 'Always Innovating' HDMI Dongle?

http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/products/hdmidongle.htm

Spec seems the same to me.

1. James Hughes 1

Re: Seen that before somewhere

An idea that has been around for ages. The RaspberryPi prototype was this form factor 2 years ago.

6. b166er

HDMI 1.4 also allows for Ethernet which would be quite useful

7. Jim 59

Seems dear

Looks a bit pricey compared to sheevaplug (£80) and others.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Pete the not so great
    WTF?

Who gives a rats patootie

If it is or isn't a PC because of the CPU

10. Leo Maxwell
    Thumb Up

horses for courses

One of these with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, connected via wifi to your network, and HDMI to a TV or monitor, becomes a useful PC, which you can carry in your pocket, smaller and lighter than a phone. And the price is the same or cheaper than many media streamers on the market.

Or the basis for a wearable PC, there are many other options. I expect the people pooh-poohing it are the same ones who rubbished the iPad when it first appeared.

A lot of people said that the iPad was rubbish because it wasn't a PC.

They totally missed the point. It was a success BECAUSE it wasn't a PC.

This unit and the Raspberry Pi are aimed at different markets, but they are both innovative products.

They both have multiple uses, and I will probably try out both.

1. Major Trouble

Re: horses for courses

@ Leo Maxwell

So you add the expense of keyboard, mouse, wireless adapter, HDMI cable and still don't have a screen. You may as well have a tablet or netbook in your hand. Less bloody faffing about. Wearable PC? Great, I'll strap that monitor to my back power off the car battery in the little cart I pull about. There is already tech that does what this does in a much more elegant way and functional way.

"They both have multiple uses, and I will probably try out both." Yes but what are they? I see nothing that I can't do better with other tech. Someone please give me a clue.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: horses for courses

They're useful, but the uses are somewhat obscure and the world will never need more than five of them, so don't waste your time.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does

Microsoft do a BASIC interpreter for this?

12. Wortel
    Facepalm

Hey! The Yoggie is back! Oh wait...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like