back to article NT daddy turns his hand to Xbox

Ex-DEC VMS code king Dave Cutler, who moved to Microsoft to drive the development of Windows NT and later focus on Azure, is working to evolve the Xbox into a "complete home entertainment device". Dave Cutler Microsoft Fellow Dave Cutler Cutler's NT code is at the heart of all Windows builds today. He is a Senior Technical …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it just me?

or does anyone else want OpenVMS running on a 360?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It might be just you.

Those that want VMS running on modern hardware would probably have wanted it on some subset of x86-64 systems (easiest for HP to support if they've got HP badges, probably Proliant) to avoid upsetting the certified Wintel-dependent IT people. Tricky if you're a Dell fan.

2. Stuart Dole

Anyone remember RSX-11M?

Fairly early on I was writing device drivers for RSX-11M for medical imaging and lab automation. The RSX distro came with the complete source files to the OS - you had to recompile the whole thing to add a driver (!). Browsing through the OS sources and looking at the change logs was incredible - Cutler wrote practically the whole thing himself, in a very short period of time. And the code quality and real time design was even more incredible. It was so lean and interrupt-aware - I had data logging at 10kHz (we never missed a clock), with a lab full of people on terminals doing (very early) word processing. Cutler's legacy was clouded by the strange beast that VMS became, IMO.

A friend in another department ran UNIX on a much faster machine, but it couldn't even keep up with the line clock at 60Hz - the system clock drifted. In those days at least, the UNIX kernel pretty much ignored interrupts. So, the UNIX machine was a bust for real time lab work, but their productivity in other areas was a lot better than ours - while I wrote in MACRO-11 assembler and Fortran, they had this fancy new language called "C"...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cutler's most elegant project?

In terms of technical elegance and pioneeringness, Cutler's eventual best DEC project was probably VAXELN, a distributed realtime kernel for VAX (with VMS as development host) which had features way ahead of its time. But it was a bit niche and predates the Internet so there's not much out there written about it [1]. Parts of its design are actually visible inside the original NT kernel - at least as visible as the alleged VMS heritage, in fact, if you understand the internals of both.

Thanks to the small number of really good people on the VAXELN development team post-Cutler, the user experience with VAXELN as it matured (eg V4.4) was much nicer than the early experience but the basic concepts underneath weren't greatly different.

"I wrote in MACRO-11 assembler and Fortran, they had this fancy new language called "C".."

Someone wasn't looking "outside the box"? The user group, DECUS, would have provided (for not much more than cost of media) stuff which would have moved your development productivity closer to the UNIX folks, maybe beyond.

For FORTRAN, e.g. there were extended versions of Kernighan's (as in K+R) RATFOR preprocessor. DEC's own FORTRAN IV and FORTRAN 77 each had their own advantages and disadvantages. For quiche eaters desiring Pascal, the list included Tanenbaum's Amsterdam Pascal for free, and at least two commercial Pascals (OMSI, UCSD).

There was C too. For free, there was at least DECUS C. There was at least one commercial offering from Whitesmiths (who decided that K+R's IO wasn't for them and nor was K+R's string-handling. Odd).

We shall not see those days again. Of course, sensible people will be quite happy never to see overlays again.

[1] A few paragraphs of user-contributed intro, with a link to DEC's own VAXELN Technical Summary:

http://unix.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/comp.os.vms/2007-03/msg00014.html

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The DECUS libraries

The DECUS libraries are still online at http://decuslib.com/

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

DECUS still online? Didn't know that (though admittedly I've had no need to look).

I'd love to find the DECUS SIG tape library routine (in FORTRAN) routine that did RSX-time to text, such that 15:40 became "twenty to four in the afternoon".

It was specially coded such that every now and again 15:40 (or whatever) became "the big hand is on the four and the little hand is on eight".

A well known search engine finds something similar to "the big hand is on" in BASIC, embedded within something I don't really understand. Based on the URL it came from the RSX SIG tapes in 1986:

ftp://ftp.nvg.unit.no/pub/linux/sunsite/computer-science/history/pdp-11/rsx/decus/rsx86b/330021/timspot.bas

Happy days.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like