back to article Modeling-clay iPads foisted on unwary Canucks

Canadian scammers are buying iPad 2s, replacing them in their original packaging with ZipLoc bags filled with modeling clay, "professionally shrink-wrapping" the boxes, then returning them for refunds, absconding with the precious fondleslabs. The precisely weighted, shrinkwrapped packages containing the clay-filled bags are …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. JDX Gold badge

Never heard of that scam

though clearly it's not new. Got to love the ingenuity of it though.

2. Scott Broukell
    Coat

Leave it out in the sun ......

... and it turns into something by Adobe.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If folk would buy one...

... the next target might be a BB ClayBook.

4. Ian Johnston Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Breaking News

Apple has just sued the makers of Plasticine for look-and-feel infringement.

5. Graham Bartlett
    Facepalm

"$695 of clay"

I don't understand. You buy an iPad from a shop and find that there isn't an iPad inside. Why not get the shop to sort it out, instead of whining that you're out $695? Sure it's Canada, but even Newfies could figure that one out.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Because unless you opened it at the shop checkout in front of witnesses, and could show them the box they sold you 30 seconds ago actually just contained a block of clay, how do you intend to prove to the shop they're actually responsible a day later when you go back to try to return it?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Or, like the guy in the article, you bought it (presumably) days or weeks or months previously as a Christmas present for your Better Half. Even tougher to prove it then

2. commonsense

"$695 of clay"

Or just sell the clay for $695 and buy an iPad.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'London Drugs'?

That's really a trading name?

But surely you'd EXPECT to be unwrapping a bag full of clay dust or -if you-re lucky- a bag of sugar if you bought anything from there?!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

They have some bizarre high street store names here.

It's basically a department store that started life as a drug store/chemist.

7. dpGoose
    Coat

This happened to me..

I re-tiled by bathroom and have angrybirds all over the wall.

8. ravenviz Silver badge
    WTF?

I really don't know why some people think this sort of behaviour is OK. If I want something I work to earn the money to pay for it. Mind you high prices mean I wait until I can afford one second hand but I'm happy with that.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"$695 worth of clay,"

How'd he get out of Best Buy without an extended warranty?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'd like to know this too! Would be extremely helpful to know how to avoid the $20 extended warranty on the $5 flash drive I'm trying to purchase.

10. Graham Bartlett

@AC

Prove to the shop?! If I bought anything else and it was broken or not as described, and *especially* if it had clearly been tampered with, it'd go back to the shop PDQ. And the shop would be doing the "we're really very sorry sir" routine, unless they want the whole shop to know about it

1. Figgus

Even if you bought it 3 months earlier as a gift for your wife? Yeah, good luck with that.

11. David Crowe
    Linux

iPot

You could easily make an iPot out of the clay, a perfect present for iDad on Father's Day.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like