back to article ICANN snubs critics, opens domain extension floodgates

Global domain name overseer ICANN has shrugged off intense criticism from big brands and parts of the US government, and will tonight start allowing companies to apply for new top-level domain names. For a hefty $185,000 (£119,500) processing fee – a third of which will be dumped into ICANN's legal defence fund – any company …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

clubbing together

How about *.sucks, a TLD devoted to customer complaints against big brands.

The rules of the registry are that trademark owners *cannot* buy their own brand names, which in turn means that anyone going to (for example) www.theregister.sucks can be in no doubt that it isn't affiliated in any way with the well-known brand. Thus, the usual "passing off" argument that brands use to silence their internet critics is whisked out from underneath them.

1. Richard Gadsden

That's utterly brilliant

Here endeth the passing off argument.

1. S 10
    Facepalm

<quote> "What does that innovation look like? Where's it going to go? We don't know. That's why it's called innovation."</quote> This is pure David Brent/Michael Scott.

2. Dexter

Oooh. Can I apply for .c0m ?

Looks just like a .com address to most people, but I can put my SpamBots there. Excellent.

3. Richard Gadsden
    Coat

.spam?

Is there any reason I can't register .spam, which is only for spammers and sending spam. That way, anyone who doesn't want to be spammed can just block it.

It makes about as much sense as .xxx anyway.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: .spam

"only for spammers and sending spam"

Ah, you mean "only for legitimate and responsible members of the bulk mailng industry".

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like