back to article High Court: TVCatchup reproduces copyrighted films ... in buffers

An internet streaming company does reproduce "a substantial part" of films in "memory buffers" contained on its servers when it relays films to users of its service, the High Court has ruled. Justice Floyd affirmed an earlier provisional ruling he gave on the point in a wider case involving UK broadcasters ITV, Channel 4 and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Tom 13

Okay, the one thing I still don't get from this article is

what damages is IPTV alleged to have caused the defendants?

Maybe not necessary under UK law, but required here in the US.

2. yeahyeahno

@Tom 13 - It is my understanding that when claiming damages one must show harm/damages, this is the very essence of equity law. However that is the not the question here, the claimants wanted TVC to desist from doing what it was doing purely because they claimed what it was doing was illegal.

I'm afraid it seems a demanding enditement on the US system of law that it has become so fixated on money, and not on legality.

1. Tom 13

It's not necessarily money that constitutes damages.

Money frequently constitutes the quickest proxy for damages. The thinking is more along the lines of "no harm, no foul" or in this case, no illegality.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BBC can now remove all their CDN equipment from the edge of the network and just sue the ISPs for large scale willful copyright infringement of BBC content. ISPs could be forced into license arrangements for the carriage of BBC content.....

Remove BBC costs - CDN equipment or costs to Akamai for content distribution

Create new revenue stream - ISP license arrangements with each UKISP or see them in court !!

genius!!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like