back to article Natwest net and phone banking goes titsup

Brief Natwest's online, mobile and telephone banking services are having an unscheduled rest today, Saturday, November 5. At time of writing customers who try to log-in to their accounts are greeted with the following message: We're sorry our Digital, Mobile and Telephone Banking services are currently unavailable. We're …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. BadgerSam
    Go

Online banking back up (for now...)

Have finally been able to login. Seems to be working, but for how long?...

Also, I wonder whether us Nat West customers will get a proper apology and explanation?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's still down at 5.30pm

must be costing them alot of money on the phone to their IT staff in India.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I had a very nice (and expensive), breakfast for free the last time HSBC's systems went titsup, courtesy of Oxford Services

I wonder how many people have been caught out with no cash at the till this week??

mines the one stuffed with Chinese 100 RMB bank notes; just in case.............

4. WallStreetDownfall
    Mushroom

Embarrasing!

yes but does it work paying via debit card as my current balance is 0.00 as off yesterday and normally! if this was updated i would have had a regular Saturday payment today! will this cause any further embarrassment trying to pay for something, and getting refused because nat west haven't updated the balance

5. marie1980
    Unhappy

funds clearing

my funs were due to clear today but my dd card was decalined at asda rang them up and was told no funds had cleared today but should clear when system is working in a few hours this was at 8 this morning was told 10 them 11 now sometime this afternoon i have bills that go out today and need money

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Err...

Isn't it amazing how many people had fund due to clear on a non-banking day.

6. Jonathan_fielding

Natwest ipad app still works

Interestingly the ipad app still works completely, unfortunately i cant use this to pay the solicitors

7. BernieC
    Holmes

Conspiracy Theories

Conspiracy theories are cool and all but I'm wondering who in the systems side of things decided it was a good idea to gloss over the testing of that new patch that would make life oh so much better and easier.

8. Mike Wood
    FAIL

Still down at 21:07 hours

Natwest Systems still down, wonder if we can claim compensation, oh wait a minute, us Brits own this Bank, time for someone to be held accountable for this. My local branch does not even understand the Data Protection Act!

9. Platelet
    Go

RBS Online banking now working

not sure about funds clearing / outgoings as I'm not expecting any today

10. Adam Brooke

Online credit card transactions are now down until tomorrow morning...

..at the very least I have been told. Which was a pain as I'd found a very cheap return to Barcelona.

Time to order a backup credit card I think.

11. ZeroSum

Ulster Bank too

UB (part of RBS Group) were down too.

12. hugo tyson
    Go

NatWest Online working now

Unsurprisingly, as they are one and the same.

They have warnings about some bits not being working yet, but no idea which bits, if any; probably just anticipating any left over wobbliness.

13. xj25vm

Caution

It's strange that absolutely nobody mentions cash. Or having spare funds. You know, old fashion type stuff. Where you take care of your own hide, look ahead a little and don't rely to the extreme on what are, very convenient systems - I must admit.

Doesn't anybody keep some emergency cash in their house anymore? Banks are made of real stuff - you know, humans, bricks, machines. All that stuff which will fail from time to time - even if temporarily. A little bit of preparation, a bit of spare cash stored would not go amiss in situations like this. And yes, I've been burgled several times - and I still keep few emergency banknotes in the house.

Also, so many people mentioning 0.00 bank balances and waiting for their Saturday payment. Where is that buffer amount of money, just sitting in the account - just in case? Is everybody spending like there is no tomorrow - or relying on everything working perfectly every time - with no unforeseen circumstances? A bit of adjustment in life style maybe?

Civilisation has brought us a lot of very convenient stuff - but seems to be turning some humans into real cry babies - unable to take care of themselves and be prepared for a bit of reality.

I'll get my coat now. Sunday preaching over.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Happy

I have more than one cache <-geddit? Several dotted around the home and car in fact. None of them big enough to be a disaster if they were lost or stolen but collectively big enough to get me out of quite a deep hole.

So far I've only had to use the one in the car at a petrol station.

2. Adam Brooke

Some people

are unemployed, disabled or unwell. They may or may not be scrounging on benefits according to your position, but the reality is that many people have £0.00 balances (or less) and the timely payment makes the difference between their homes being warm or cold tonight.

I assume you have a rainy day fund by your post, but when nearly a quarter of people in this country are in fuel poverty (technically 10% of their income on heating) but with reality that the quantitative values on fuel poverty are that the top 20% of them are spending 50% on heating the cliched "Heat or Eat" comes to mind.

No doubt you are successful within your domain and warm this weekend but if like 82% of the UK workforce you have a one month notice on your contract, a mortgage and a car that you believe impresses you neighbours then just imagine how long your savings would last to maintain your current quality of life.

I would be interested to hear how you would "adjust your lifestyle" in such a predicament and how you respond to hitting the advance button on your heating and not having enough credit to keep your heating on.

So your closing statement is valid, get your coat, put it on and stop preaching.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You want a theory?

I have a theory for you, there was an on-line campaign for people to mass move their cash out of the banks and into credit unions on the 5th. The system outage means that anyone that had any ideas of moving their cash from RBS/Natwest would have been unable to thus defusing a perceived potential bank run.

15. Charles Smith

Management Speak

Whenever I read of a spokesman announcing that they are "working hard to..." I dump the statement in the same bin that I would use for "lessons will be learned..."

"Working hard" is a meaningless annoying statement. I'm sure the technicians dealing with the problem have decided to go home, put their feet up and deal with it on Monday - NOT.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and others

lloyds and halifax were also unavailable last night. As was orange. Something going on?

1. All names Taken
      Paris Hilton

something going on?

I'd guess so - always worrying when neither confirmation nor denial were made when things "look obviously" adrift?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like