back to article India uncloaks new thorium nuke plants

India has revealed its plan for a new nuclear reactor design using the thorium fuel cycle. The Advanced Heavy Water design differs from China's molten salt or liquid fluoride designs. But Indian scientists expect the AHW reactor to be operational before China's, certainly by 2020, and are confident enough to seek buyers for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Ian Stephenson
      Go

Agree with you except for the last.

The oil only for petrol and cars.

There are many more (profitable) products from crude than just oil whether heavy, heating or fuel.

Pharmaceuticals, LPG, Benzene, toluene etc

I'll just add ".. and our fanatical devotion to the pope." as a gratuitous Python reference and also to imply there are many more before someone else brings up some examples I missed.

2. JimC

> oil only for petrol and cars.

You're forgetting how useful and valuable this stuff is as an industrial raw material, which is why burning it is such a damn silly idea...

1. John McCallum
    Thumb Up

ePetition...

....Now stands at 482+ any takers on the goverment ignoring this one as well?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's good news

Some competition for China will help keep the price down when we come to buy the thorium plants we need to replace all our useless windmills.

3. Goat Jam
    FAIL

The West

Western countries are going to be living on handouts from China and India within 50 years.

Actually, the way things are going it could be 20.

The West, led by the USA, have sat on their complacent fat arses now for decades, sure in the delusion that non western people are simply not capable of any sort of intellectual or industrial excellence.

While we hamstring ourselves at the behest of the hand-wringing middle classes in our they get on with the job of building their economies without pandering to the guilt mongering morons who think that everything that ails the world is the fault of descendants of white Europeans.

In Australia, we are in the process of implementing a totally useless "Carbon Tax" that will cripple our economy and make it impossible for us to do business.

Already or businesses are bleeding dry because our dollar is at record highs compared to the greenback and other currencies and this insane Gillard/Greens Carbon Tax will be the final nail in the coffin.

At the same time nobody in Australia will even consider the possibilities of Nuclear power.

Apparently we are all going to die due to AGW but even that is not enough to prompt the shambling imbeciles that rule and populate this country to consider the idea.

Australia is an energy rich country, being net exporters of coal, uranium and LNG yet our governments are dead set against actually using that wealth to our benefit.

Instead, we refuse to build nuclear and are working overtime to shutdown our coal fired power plants.

We could use our abundant cheap energy to give ourselves an advantage in the international marketplace or we could shoot ourselves in the foot and ship that energy overseas.

Unsurprisingly, our cretinous "leaders" choose the gun->foot option.

It drives me to despair.

1. Wombling_Free
      FAIL

It's the Austfailian way!

gun->foot, it's 'ow we do it down 'ere, Mate!

CSIRO in the 50's... what shall we spend our research money on? Digital computers? NO, what possible use could starting up a computer industry be? Let's focus on silver iodide rainmaking! Maybe advanced sheep dip!

And my, didn't that work out a treat! Look at the wealth that has created for.. oh. hang on.

I seem to recall the nasty little Howard runt once proclaiming that Australia is unsuitable for solar power development - yeah, all those vast unused desert spaces with long sunlight hours, all those rare earth minerals, all the UNSW research into efficient solar cells and energy storage, NOPE, no use at all. Unfeasable. Too hard. Why bother, when we can create wealth by digging up dirt, shipping it overseas and creating our very own home-grown housing and income gap crisis?

Could someone please invade (or just buy us out, it wouldn't take much!) us? We deserve it, really.

1. Goat Jam
        Pint

Hear Hear Brother

This country is filled with short sighted redneck ute driving cretins and chardonnay swilling middle class inner city ecotards (cue more downvotes from said ecotards and or redneck cretins, bring em on morons)

Personally, I'm still hoping for the zombie apocalypse to arrive. I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard.

Virtual beer for you, because real beer is too fricking expensive these days.

4. Keith T
    Thumb Up

"The Register Bump" now 522 signatures

In just 11 hours "The Register Bump" has the petition up to 522 signatures.

Now 523 signatures.

Let's boost the petition using Facebook, Twitter, email to friends, or whatever other medium you prefer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Slashdot?

5. Wombling_Free
    Mushroom

Run for your life!

Radioactive liquid fluoride! For FSMs sake! What could possibly go wrong?

1. Bernd Felsche

People could be frightened by things that they don't understand

I put that down to "education"; replacing inate curiiosity with fear during the upbringing of a child. We now have adults who are supposed to be running counrties who are inept at everything because of paralysing fear of everything.

Generations have been wasted by turning fear into a fashion; exascerbated by ostracising those unfashionables who try to understand what they do not understand; instead of buying the fears of the unknown.

People who want power tell scary stories. So that the over-aged children can be maintained in a compliant, frightened state.

6. Lindsay 1
    Go

Here's the web site ...

For those of you who are interested, here's a web site I bookmarked 5-6 years ago. Yes, it's current and really simple to read.

http://energyfromthorium.com/

7. 2cent

Thorium Reactor Video FYI

"This talk is aimed at explaining this thorium energy resource from fundamental physics to today's practical applications. The presentation is sufficient for the non-scientist to grasp the whole subject, but will be intriguing to even classically trained nuclear engineers."

The Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactor: What Fusion Wanted To Be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHs2Ugxo7-8

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like