back to article Steve Jobs' last words: 'OH WOW. OH WOW. OH WOW.'

A eulogy for Steve Jobs written and delivered by his sister was published over the weekend. It reveals many personal details of the techbiz titan's life, among them his last words as he lay dying with his family around him. According to Mona Simpson, Jobs' sister and a professor of English at the University of California, his …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bracknellexile

Presumably he was just lamenting the fact that the only sheeple cash-cow Apple didn't come up with or take over was World of Warcraft.

2. Andy Jones
    Coat

Revelation

Behind his 'partner', kids and sister, he probably saw the angelic figure of the real Jesus Crust talking to God using a Samsung Galaxy S2.

3. Harry the Bastard
    Paris Hilton

he was clearly stunned by the sight of the android fondleslab now used for self check-in at the pearly gates

4. craigj

Don't really think this needed to be reported on.

The man was dying, did we really need to know the poor guys last monosyllables?

1. Arctic fox
      Thumb Down

Indeed I am relieved in fact to see that someone else was struck by the same thought.

Whatever my opinions might be of Apple's products and/or their marketing strategy I have never experienced the impulse to wish Mr Jobs any personal harm. In the same light I regard his passing as an intensely private moment that I do not feel that I have the right to share. What was it that that Dylan Thomas wrote?

"Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

That moment should have remained something that he only shared with those closest to him - shame on those who have chosen to "Face-Book" it.

2. regadpellagru
      Thumb Down

Unneeded

Yes, I'm with craigi (and also AC above). I don't feel particularly good at reading this and I'm positive this was entirely unneeded.

Would you like whatever sound comes out of you to be reported when you die ?

I wouldn't, and I do believe Jobs wouldn't either.

5. Ageless Stranger

He saw a google fondeslab

Maybe someone playing with the latest Android OS caught his eye......

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

he said whilst ....

playing with a phone running a preview release of ICS.

> May the down votes commence.

7. Jonathan White
    FAIL

@Bob Hoskins

Yes, but them I'm also pretty sickened by some of the posts on here. Taking the mickey out of a bloke dying of cancer's last moments. Very classy.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He actually said,...

Oh my God, it's me!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Distressing and distasteful.

Why is this story reported here?

Register bookmark deleted.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What comes after life?

Alas, not even the great Steve could answer that question! However, the ability to create a reality distortion field seems to run in the family.....

RIP, Steve Jobs - you will be missed.

11. iucounu
    Flame

Stay classy, guys.

It's impressive stuff, taking the piss out of someone's last words, and laughing at the grief of his relatives. Nice work, everyone.

1. It wasnt me
      Meh

Hmmmmm...

I hear what you're saying, and I agree wholeheartedly.

However, I can't quite understand why his family felt the need to publish the eulogy in the NYT.

Its not just the news outlets that are to blame.

12. dcd

it'sfull of stars!

Reality, that is.

1. BatCat
      Thumb Up

Damn...

... you beat me to it!

13. Dave Ashton
    Thumb Down

Jeez

I'd be the last person on earth to enjoy apple products, but for fucks sake, you people are cunts.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This.

Finally found a use for the Register though...

2. Philolai
      Stop

This really is a new low for The Register. They ought to delete this article, pretend this never happened and never do it again.

14. KirstarK
    IT Angle

What a pile of steaming...

Seriously what a pile of steaming crap. I would hope you guys could shit better articles than this.

This is tech news why? The sadly misinformed will think this confirms their delusion in the sky fairy everyone else will realise that its the drugs.

And if I had the will to as I died it would not be wow or some other shit, it would be to say good bye to my family.

15. Geoff Thompson
    FAIL

Saddened

This was reported elsewhere of course, so someone thought it was fair game to put a comical perspective on it. Sorry, no matter your views on the reported last minutes of Job's life, as reported by distraught family members, this is not a subject for sarcastic humour so soon after the event. It is an epic fail in taste and decency by a web publication I respect enormously, despite its juvanile tendancies at times. I have little respect for Apple and a very negative opinion of their business ethos, but a man is no more than flesh and blood in the end, and despite any opinion of Jobs as a CEO, he was far from a really cruel, let alone evil figure. I'm not usually so serious on here, but this very poor taste has annoyed me.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

oh wow oh wow...

... the design on this afterlife tunnel of light is *terrible* !

17. Naughtyhorse
    Joke

it was an oh wow of wonder!

turns out the afterlife is all white and full of rounded corners, he was thinking of the fun all his lawyers were going to have

18. Far Canal

??

Has anybody tried the oh wow thing with siri to see what happens? Just morbidly curious as it were.

19. Chris 3
    Unhappy

The original eulogy is nicely written

... and paints an interesting portrait of the bloke, his life and his last days.

Ripping the 'last words' paragraph out, out of context of that piece is pretty puerile.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Angel

Not exactly poetic last words

Perhaps:

1) He was seeing that AT&T's network actually works in Heaven.

2) Or that the heavenly Apple Store always has your item in stock and there are always enough registers and counter help that there are never more than two people in line!

3) Or he was reacting to St. Peter telling him "We can let you in, but first you need to pay the backdated property tax rebates you received from Cupertino--here's the bill."

4) Or maybe fate had it that at that very moment he had an LSD flashback....

Ok, tacky, I know, but I am getting seriously tired of the number of stories eulogizing Steve....

21. Captain Thyratron

Death's consolation prize

...is, according to recent research, quite possibly an amazing DMT trip shortly beforehand. I won't thank nature for any aspect of death, but I will be thankful that it's a peaceful trip about rising into heaven and meeting angels instead of a deliriant horror trip about giant tarantulas eating our eyeballs.

(And if you thought it would have been more amusing if Jobs' last words had been "OH GOD THE SPIDERS ARE EATING ME", you are a bad person and should feel bad. Although there would undoubtedly be more comments in this thread.)

22. Absent

"Death is but a door. Time is but a window. I'll be back." would have been more fitting.

23. Bill Fresher

Wow

You lot are sour...

24. Ilgaz

don't waste it

It is exactly the last part of a very first personal account of Steve Jobs from a family member. In fact, perhaps the last one you will read after the family notices how it was abused. Instead of reading that PR maniac's authorised bio, read the eulogy instead and head to folklore.org

1. Jeff Lewis

"In fact, perhaps the last one you will read after the family notices how it was abused."

Oh.. I honestly wish that were true - but in all honesty - I think the circus will continue for some time as is fitting for P. T. Barnum's spiritual hier.

25. someone up north

I think he meant to say " OH WOA. OH WOA. OH WOA".

where

WOA => War On Android

and not WOW !

HE IS STEVE JOB AFTER ALL

26. Kaemaril
    Devil

Wait ... what?

"Before embarking, he’d looked at his sister Patty, then for a long time at his children, then at his life’s partner, Laurene, and then over their shoulders past them."

"Embarking"? Really? Is that a new one, or is it a common thing I've just never heard before?

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Follow the herd

I think there are some things that most of us understand are OK for a bit of black humour between friends, but are inappropriate for public humour. Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but I think most peoples last moments are more deserving of a little respect than the "6 year old commentard" treatment.

28. json

probably saw the ultimate tablet: the ones with the ten commandments. RIP steve.

29. Jeff Lewis

Someone call the Vatican

Wow - I would have expected:

"One more thing..."

Seriously though... we've gone through the Beatification of Saint Steve... now it's starting to sound like we've moved into Canonisation.

Fortunately, He didn't return on the third day. I'm not ready for Zombie Steve.

30. Matthew Evans
    IT Angle

iWow ?

31. silver fox
    Coat

Sounds like...

....someone's already got the movie script writer involved in describing the moment...

Completely sh*te story though.

32. Dave Cheetham

@Mathew Evans

What he really said was oWow, 'i' things are so last year as he found out when he saw the light!

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OH WOW, Jesus uses Android

34. nichomach
    Mushroom

I'm with Dave Ashton, above

I have no use for i-anything, but really, some of the commentards on here should stop, step back, take a good hard look at themselves and ask themselves if they really, truly, want to be, and look like, that much of a cunt. That includes the inevitable deluge of people who think using the term "sky fairy" is still funny.

As to whether The Reg should have published it, it was released to the public so the family were obviously happy with it being published, it was a story covering the last moments of a hugely influential man in the techie field (albeit one that I dislike), and really? If you care THAT MUCH about the few brief moments you spent reading the piece before you went off on your spittle flecked little rants, apply for a refund. On your free online journal. Which no-one made you read.

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I feel like I'm looking down on it all from above....

"World of warcraft" gets last minute plug.

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Typical Steve

Quite enigmatic really.

37. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe ...

... he'd just found out that Samsung own the patents to his life support machine.

38. epocalypse
    Devil

Double Rainbow?

That is all.

39. sysconfig
    FAIL

I wonder why his sister published this in the first place. Probably the same anti-social genes which Steve was known to possess. (ok, maybe not genes, because Steve was adopted, but you get the point)

You can love or hate Steve Jobs (and there doesn't seem to be much gray between these two extremes in his case) but for heaven's sake the man is dead. Leave him alone. Let him rest in peace, at least for a while.

40. Tatsky
    Coat

WOW

Maybe he just suddenly understood the Vista marketing message?

Mine's the one with "Bing It" written on the back.

41. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iCasket ... there's a grave for that

Must of saw that Heaven runs on Android

42. Wize

Maybe the next thing he was going to say was...

...Oh my god, its full of stars.

43. axa2wa

Denied

Well you know how they say that your life flashes past your eyes just before you die. Well, Apple have categorically denied that this happened with Steve Jobs. Apple don't do Flash.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like